Opinions wanted!

A quick background:

Primary carry was an .357 SP101 2.25", then I switched to an LCR, recently sent the LCR back to Ruger for repair, switched back to the SP.

Now I am thinking about a Walther PK380. I have shot this pistol and fell in love with it.

I have seen a lot of Pros/Cons concerning the .380 round for SD. With my background with 5 shot revolvers, I focus a lot on shot placement.

Let the opinions fly, not only on the .380 round, but this particular handgun for EDC.

Thanks,

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I prefer to have a larger round than .380 for self defense. At the same time I'm considering an LCP as a backup and times when a larger pistol is difficult/impossible to conceal properly. Many years ago I had a Walther. Should have kept it.

Guest cheez

Personally I would not carry a Walther if someone gave me one and all the ammo I wanted. The .380 is better than a baseball bat. That said I like the SP better than either of the choices you posted.

Guest nozzle13

I bought one for the wifey. She loves our/her P22, and it is the only thing she doesn't hesitate to shoot. The pk380, she likes, but isn't as comfortable with. Quality wise, I was a little disappointed with the PK, it seems to be a little more shoddily put together than the P-22, and I don't like the no captive guide spring. Mine seems to shoot a little low also, not sure if it's me or the gun to this point, as I just haven't shot it enough. .380 being a little difficult to find until now. Anyways, my wife actually went to a fun shop today, and liked a polymer EAA 9mm so mine may be hitting the market soon.

Guest Jamie
A quick background:

Primary carry was an .357 SP101 2.25", then I switched to an LCR, recently sent the LCR back to Ruger for repair, switched back to the SP.

Now I am thinking about a Walther PK380. I have shot this pistol and fell in love with it.

I have seen a lot of Pros/Cons concerning the .380 round for SD. With my background with 5 shot revolvers, I focus a lot on shot placement.

Let the opinions fly, not only on the .380 round, but this particular handgun for EDC.

Thanks,

All I can tell ya is carry and shoot what you like. What the rest of us think about it makes no difference at all.

If the PK suits you, and you can make the holes where you want 'em, then go for it.

Besides, most of us have been through quite a few carry guns, trying to find the right one. And some of us haven't found that one that's "just right", yet.

J.

Edited by Jamie
Guest 10mm4me
...and there are 10mm's smaller than my 9's. Did I screw up because I didn't buy the max firepower for the size?

What you said is more of an exception here than a rule (I am guessing you are referring to the G29). Generally speaking, the PK380 is large for a .380. And, given the scarcity of .380 ammo, the 9mm would be a better choice. It is more powerful, similar in recoil, and actually cheaper to shoot than .380. He asked for OPINIONS, I gave mine. I would not buy a .380 that is the same size as a 9mm were it intended to be used as a carry gun. What's the point?

Guest 70below

I had a PK380, its a fantastic gun, and recoil in a PK is much lower than a 9mm due to the locked breach rather than blowback that is typical of .380 pistols. I think its a fantastic carry weapon for someone that is recoil sensitive. That said, as I'm comfortable with the recoil of 9mm and greater pistols, I would carry 9mm or more powerful cartridges given the choice. Personally, 38+P is my minimum carry caliber. Though, I'd rather have a .380 than nothing any day.

What you said is more of an exception here than a rule (I am guessing you are referring to the G29). Generally speaking, the PK380 is large for a .380. And, given the scarcity of .380 ammo, the 9mm would be a better choice. It is more powerful, similar in recoil, and actually cheaper to shoot than .380. He asked for OPINIONS, I gave mine. I would not buy a .380 that is the same size as a 9mm were it intended to be used as a carry gun. What's the point?

It's large compared to a pocket 380. I saw a CZ last week that's about the same size. They had .380 ammo piled up in the same store. Not trying to dump on your opinion. Just discussing.

What's right for one guy isn't going to be right for another.

I'd prefer a .45 acp round but in the summertime it'd be like carrying an anvil in my shorts pocket so I go with a light .380 that I'll carry all the time. For my personal carry needs, a Walther is too heavy. A NAA Guardian proved to be too heavy as well. But that's just me. Others are perfectly comfortable with a small Glock 9mm in their pocket.

Go with something you'll carry.

I have seen a lot of Pros/Cons concerning the .380 round for SD.

No comment on the gun, but the round is not capable of making an armed assailant unwilling or unable to fire his weapon at you. That’s just my opinion based on using the round and responding to shootings.

With my background with 5 shot revolvers, I focus a lot on shot placement.

Point instinct shooting is important to survive a shootout. But just where are you going to place that .380 round when an assailant is pointing a gun at you and your adrenalin is rushing like something you have never experienced before?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Reverend

I have a PK380 and I wear it inside my waist band with an inexpensive #15 Uncle Mike's holster. My first Automatic was a Walther PPK/S also a .380 which I have used sinced the mid 1970"s. I have a S&W Model 60 which I was using for carry, but the PK380 is more easily concealed due to its flatness and weight. Shooting at 50 feet I am within a 1-2" grouping with 50 rounds. At 75 feet the grouping move to 2"-3", which makes this a great weapon for carry, as most conflicts requiring usage are less than 5' away. The grips and feel are to my liking as well. I did put a fluorescent green paint on the front sight which assists me (I'm color blind and the red was not good for me). I have 45, 44, 357, 22, 38 and 9mm handguns along with various rifles. I also made a new break down key to carry on my key ring. How, from the Auto Parts Store I bought a 4 way Metal Tire Valve Tool. I punched out the center side tools so it fits on my key ring and I filed the sides of the tool where the prong/cut tool is. It works even better than the original as it has a better grip now, and the original key now stays in the box. With tax, it cost me $2.11 and took me all of 5 minutes to customize to my liking. Also, for Ammo, I am using Lawman (Speer Brand), 95 grain TMJ which has worked flawlessly after approximately 500+ firings. Some of my other brand weapons are Kimber, S&W, Colt, Star and Browning. Yes, this may be the cheapest cost weapon that I own, but it is more fun and a pleasure to shoot than some of the others. Hope this helps those thinking about getting a PK380 and those that already own one. Don't hesitate, if you like its look and feel....get it.

Edited by Reverend
I forgot to Capitalize
What's right for one guy isn't going to be right for another.

I'd prefer a .45 acp round but in the summertime it'd be like carrying an anvil in my shorts pocket so I go with a light .380 that I'll carry all the time. For my personal carry needs, a Walther is too heavy. A NAA Guardian proved to be too heavy as well. But that's just me. Others are perfectly comfortable with a small Glock 9mm in their pocket.

Go with something you'll carry.

When it's difficult to carry a .40 or .45, I've decided to carry .38 +p.