Dealing with citizens legally carrying a concealed weapon

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1, really good!

I was shocked at how well the author has me/us pegged.

I think most officers in right to carry states have a very similar attitude. This is of course a question/concern raised at any class taught by current or former LEO's, and every time I've heard it asked here in TN, the response is the same: at least 95% of the cops are not anti-concealed carry citizen. It's when they get to "political" positions like Chief of Police that they start to be more that way, at least publicly. I have had many traffic stops in this area due to a condition called ferrous pedus (lead foot) and only one has been negative, but it was before I even carried. The officer in question has been a total prick to at least two other people I know, so he gets around and makes a bad name for metro. But the rest have been courteous even when carrying.

I'm pro cop, so no more tickets, ok? :)

Good article and good attitude. One thing I found humorous, though, was his comment about private citizens who legally carry generally knowing the 'gist' of the law but not, necessarily, the details. The funny thing is that I think the same could be said for many LEOs. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some HCP holders (including some on this forum) are more current and better informed regarding carry laws than many LEOs.

Very interesting read. Not to hyjack the thread, but. Just last week I had an incident that would reflect the author' actions. I had breakfast with a fellow TGO member and was on my way to some errands when I came upon a traffic stop by the THP. It was on a US highway and they had traffic backed up half a dozen cars each way with several vehicles pulled to the side. I would say at least half a dozen THP cars and I believe there were at least a couple rookies there. So I inched my turn up to the stop, my wallet in hand, had both hands on the wheel.

My appearance, clean, dressed nicely, full grey beard. I believe I had removed my hat. Truck is late model and clean with US flag, NRA, US Army decals on the rear glass. The officer asked for my DL and registration. When removing my DL my HCP became visible, not intentional but not guarded. The officer pronounced my name, a bit difficult for many folks, and I told him "correct, good job." He asked me if I had my "piece" with me in the truck to which I replied, "I do." His reply, "Very good." He handed me back my DL, wished me a good day and reminded me to drive safely.

IMO, the way the stop should have gone...:)..but then again, I had no law infractions.:)

oldogy

Guest db99wj
Good article and good attitude. One thing I found humorous, though, was his comment about private citizens who legally carry generally knowing the 'gist' of the law but not, necessarily, the details. The funny thing is that I think the same could be said for many LEOs. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if some HCP holders (including some on this forum) are more current and better informed regarding carry laws than many LEOs.

Very true, however, the group on here, are for the most part, not the typical permit holder. The ones here, are more actively seeking information, whether it be the legal do and do not's, tactical, training, gear, etc. whereas a majority, I would bet, are fine with the basic general knowledge they received in class and possibly some follow-up or what they see/hear in the news.

Very good article,

wait

Be aware that there are “concealed carry” badges for sale out there that look similar to cop badges. Really check to see what you are looking at and check other forms of ID as well.

I thought those things where just jokes on the board.
Guest db99wj
Very good article,

wait

I thought those things where just jokes on the board.

They are a joke, but there are people out there that don't get it.:eek:

Yep, they actually wear them. I've seen it!

Guest Archminister01

Nicely done. Having been in LE for almost 12 years, I understand exactly what you are saying. There was an incident about 13 years ago in Phx. AZ where an carrying citizen got involved when a patrol officer was shot while making a traffic stop. This citizen quickly acted when he became aware that an officer had been fired upon and hit by drawing his weapon and firing seven times at the escaping vehicle. This citizen even made sure he had a clear field of fire before shooting according to witnesses that saw him look left right and clear ahead before discharging his weapon. End result was one dead bad guy and another in the hospital in critical condition. He was given a meritorious citation by the city for his actions that day. Those of us that do carry concealed or not carry because we understand that it is our right. Deterrence is a wonderful thing and if every bad guy had to consider each time they thought about committing a crime whether or not they could get shot while in the act buy some unseen hero, our world would b a better place. I do not condone taking the law into ones own hands, but acting as an armed and educated citizen to help if he situation warrants can never be a bad thing IMHO.

This citizen quickly acted when he became aware that an officer had been fired upon and hit by drawing his weapon and firing seven times at the escaping vehicle.

Escaping vehicle? Was the officer or the citizen in danger at that point?

Escaping vehicle? Was the officer or the citizen in danger at that point?

Doesn't have to be in that case necessarily. For example, in TN, you can use deadly force in defense of a 3rd party. So, let's just say the shooter had a reasonable belief that these 2 men would shoot another officer to further escape, so he responded with deadly force. Or let's just use the citizen's arrest statute and say he was trying to arrest them and he was preventing a violent felon from fleeing. I know there may a bit of a double standard for the average citizen, but the guy came to the aid of an officer who had been shot. No one is gonna charge him with s***. Hell, the guy in Mississippi that chased the guy into TN that pulled a gun on his Mom was cleared. Granted the guy fired at him first, but due to the citizen's arrest laws he was cleared.

Thanks for sharing this very informative article. Although I have a generally low opinion of LEOs, I understand their uneasyness in dealing with an unknown person who is in possession of a loaded firearm. We are conditioned to think that anyone with a badge and gun is good, but you never can tell about the people in street clothes. If an officer simply assumed that everyone with a firearm was a good guy, they;d be right a lot, but only one mistake could end it all for them in an instant. A tough situation indeed.

They are a joke, but there are people out there that don't get it.:up:

Yep, they actually wear them. I've seen it!

For the first time I actually googled them and found them. I seriously thought they where only a joke. No I am NOT getting one. I have no reason to believe it would have any legal weight or practical purpose other then to probably supply someone with money from my wallet. I will use my money to buy ammo.

Although I have a generally low opinion of LEOs,...... If an officer simply assumed that everyone with a firearm was a good guy, they;d be right a lot, but only one mistake could end it all for them in an instant. A tough situation indeed.

And they thank you for your support :shrug: Maybe in whatever small town you're from they'd be right, but in a city like Memphis, if they assumed that, they'd be dead.

Guest Archminister01

The assailants were trying to get away and brandishing weapons in and from the vehicle. This gut took aim and started shooting. he goal was to make sure that no one else was shot as these fools had already displayed and used lethal force. It was a gutsy and risky move but he said he did what he felt was right and didnt want to see them get away to kill another day.