Info on 1911

Shug

Hey gang Im needing a little info. Im looking on tradeing for a 1911 built by Guns and More. The guy says it has all Wilson Combat parts and it is built on a Essex Alum. Frame. Im not familiar with Guns and More work, or Essex frames. Need all info on this matter, I didn't see any markings on slide or frame except SN. Also what do ya'll figure the value is. Gun is blue

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A gun like this is hard to value I would think. It would not be in any of the value books. If you ever wanted to sell it, it will be again, hard to value and likely priced low to accommodate for its unfamiliar name. If it is custom built with premium parts and it's new, I would guess they are asking in the $1100-1500 range. For that kind of money you can get into some of the better known guns that will be easier to get rid-of if the time comes. If they are asking in the $500-700 range it may be a good deal. Most any quality built 1911 should sell for that.

My first 1911 was built on a SS Essex frame many rounds later it is retired and waiting a .22 conversion ( the hammer and sear pin holes have worn out of spec) Lots of heavy ammo went through that gun several seasons of IPSC and Pin shooting it held up well..

My dad is currently fitting a carbon frame to his ACE conversion with no problems however he was told years ago that some Essex frames pin holes were out of alignment and "dropping in parts" would be iffy and probably would need to hand fit parts instead. this was almost 20 years ago though..

Did Guns and More build this gun ? or is it a trade in from a customer ? that would Seriously affect whether or not I would buy it,. the Good news about a 1911 is that almost anybody can build one...the Bad news is that almost anybody can build one so care should be taken when selecting one of unknown history especially if it is going to be used for more than a "fun" gun to go plink with this blog may help..

Xavier Thoughts: Checking a Used 1911 with a Purchase in Mind

Hope this helps you, keep us posted

John

I am not a fan of essex frames. They are frequently out of spec and I would never start a built with one. Also, if this is a non ramped barrel with a frame ramp, you need to be aware that at some point (because it is aluminum) the frame ramp will get dinged and kinda pitted (first 25k should be fine then not so much) and you will have feed issues. At that point, since you can NOT polish an aluminum frame, the only way to fix it is cutting the frame and fitting a new ramped barrel. And I think aluminum frames cut like that in 45 are too weak.

Personally I would stay away from the gun unless you know it runs and it will not see a ton of rounds in the future.

Depending on the builder I would pay 0 to 3k for that gun. However, since I can't think of a single 1911 builder (that I would use) that would want to build on either an essex frame or an aluminum frame without a gun to their head, I guess I'm thinking closer to 0.

Hey gang Im needing a little info. Im looking on tradeing for a 1911 built by Guns and More. The guy says it has all Wilson Combat parts and it is built on a Essex Alum. Frame. Im not familiar with Guns and More work, or Essex frames. Need all info on this matter, I didn't see any markings on slide or frame except SN. Also what do ya'll figure the value is. Gun is blue
Edited by timcalhoun

Thanks guys, I already own three 1911's {greatest gun in the world} 2 - Colts and a Springfield GI. I just wasn't to sure on Essex alum. frames {their durability} or G&M's work. Since they are closed down now it's hard to go ask. I thought someone from K-town might chime in and give me the 411 on them.

I'd be concerned about the Essex frame. Quality parts on a weak frame doesn't sound like a good combination. I would think the value of this pistol would be low. If I were to start a project gun, it would probably be based on a SA or Colt frame.

.... the Good news about a 1911 is that almost anybody can build one...the Bad news is that almost anybody can build one so care should be taken when selecting one of unknown history ....

John

EXACTLY!!

If you wanted to play around and learn how to build your own 1911, an Essex frame is a great starter. My first one rides an Essex frame and yes it's on the edge of the specs but it's inside the tolerances. Turned out to be a pretty accurate pistol. The kicker is it's a keeper. Resale sucks so don't buy one to make money on it. My free labor and quality parts inside that Essex was about $700 total.