Bersa .45 opinions?

Steelharp

Ok, just shot one of these. Feels like shooting a good 9mm. Owners, any issues with these? I would hate if it has a rap sheet like a thug's, because it's without a doubt the most comfy shooting small(ish) .45 I've ever tried. It is the Thunder Ultra Compact model.

Oh, is the slide supposed to lock back on the empty mag? Because it doesn't...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest HvyMtl

Yes, the slide is supposed to lock back when empty. In addition, it is supposed to slide forward and load a round when you "slam" a magazine into the pistol.

I do own a Bersa Ultra Compact 45. The NEW model is the Bersa Ultra Compact Pro 45. Get the Pro model. The Pro model will have "Pro" rolled on the slide, polygonal rifling (easier to clean, IMHO), Round in Chamber Indicator, and a one slot picatinny rail under the barrel. It should come with 2 magazines.

Additional Benefits of the Ultra Compact Pro - Small, compact, and light weight. 7+1 capacity. Ambidextrous out of the box. Safety is also a decocker. Recoil is well absorbed for such a light pistol. Easy to break down and clean. Inexpensive. Lifetime warranty for original purchaser.

Downside: Bersa finishes are not good, so go Matte. 9mm lasts longer, and is even easier to shoot than the 45 version. Additional magazines are expensive. Magazines which are not "Bersa Brand" generally do not work well. Use of remanufactured or reloaded ammo voids warranty. You will have to pay the shipping cost to repair facility when using warranty.

Effectively, it is a good little pistol. It is reliable, and will serve you well. Very comfy to shoot. Recoil is closer to a 9 than a 45. It is not a Sig Sauer, but it ain't no Hi-Point either. 99.9% of the time, you are going to get a great firearm. It is the 0.1% which haunts the brand. The Pro edition are more reliable than the older versions and should be the one to buy. The things that wear out most frequently, are, obviously, the springs. Feel the action working as you fire it? That is the Dual Spring set. Neat to feel.

It is a good $400ish firearm. Side Note: The 9mm versions are used by law enforcement in South America, and the Argentine Military.

Feel free to PM me any thoughts concerns, etc.

bersachat.com is a place to get owner's experiences. Colorado Gun Works is the place to get warranty repairs, if ever required.

Edited by HvyMtl

The Bersa is a great gun for the money. I have a 45 Thunder UC (not the pro model). Shoots great. I have put about 200 rounds through mine and had only 1 FTE last weekend but I think the casing was to blame. Cleared it out and went back to it. Yes the slide should stay open on the last round out. The finish shows wear fast but its not a show gun.

From what I read about it the only difference in the new "Pro" model from the Thunder UC is the round in chamber indicator and a indicator to see how many rounds remain in the mag.

Edited by Dad03
The Bersa is a great gun for the money. I have a 45 Thunder UC (not the pro model). Shoots great. I have put about 200 rounds through mine and had only 1 FTE last weekend but I think the casing was to blame. Cleared it out and went back to it. Yes the slide should stay open on the last round out. The finish shows wear fast but its not a show gun.

From what I read about it the only difference in the new "Pro" model from the Thunder UC is the round in chamber indicator and a indicator to see how many rounds remain in the mag.

I'm one of those weirdos who actually likes the matte finish on my UC9. It has a certain "used but effective" look to it.

The changes introduced with the Pro model were:

Loaded chamber indicator

Picatinny rail

Polygonal rifling (which improved accuracy)

Guest cheez

I don't own one of these little guns but I do spend a huge amount of time on these message boards. I have never heard any serious negative comments about the Bersa.

Dad has one and he loves it and will be his carry gun when he finds a holster he likes .It had a FTE in the first mag no issues since .200+ rnds groups well .Its a lil thick for my hand but It is a good shooter. I wouldn't recommend it for a woman unless shes pretty strong,It has a pretty stout spring .

Ok, my mistake; when hand racking, it does not lock back...? However, in shooting it to empty, it does...? Anyone know why that would be? I'm not going to complain; I think I really like this lil' .45.

Please forgive me in advance for the stupid question, but do you have an empty magazine in when you rack?

I had a bad experience with a new .45 UC Pro I bought in Feb 09. Fired 2 magazines of FMJ and small chips appeared in the top of the slide where the cut out for the barrel is. I sent it to Colorado Gun Works for repair. They had it for months, claimed they could not get a slide, that it was back ordered. I tried calling customer service at eagle imports and never could get an answer. Emails were not satisfactorily answered by CS. As a last resort, I emailed the company HQ in South America with a complaint. Within 24 hours the president of Eagle Imports contacted me via telephone and got things rolling. Apologized for the problems and said I had slipped through the cracks. They got the gun back to me within a week with a new slide and barrel but I decided I didn't need the gun any more and sold it. Eagle sent me some stuff as perks and I still have a new magazine lying around somewhere. I'd buy another Bersa but not a .45 UC Pro.

I had a bad experience with a new .45 UC Pro I bought in Feb 09. Fired 2 magazines of FMJ and small chips appeared in the top of the slide where the cut out for the barrel is. I sent it to Colorado Gun Works for repair. They had it for months, claimed they could not get a slide, that it was back ordered. I tried calling customer service at eagle imports and never could get an answer. Emails were not satisfactorily answered by CS. As a last resort, I emailed the company HQ in South America with a complaint. Within 24 hours the president of Eagle Imports contacted me via telephone and got things rolling. Apologized for the problems and said I had slipped through the cracks. They got the gun back to me within a week with a new slide and barrel but I decided I didn't need the gun any more and sold it. Eagle sent me some stuff as perks and I still have a new magazine lying around somewhere. I'd buy another Bersa but not a .45 UC Pro.

Your avatar has a P90.........Anyone looking for a high value 45 THATS the way to go

Ruger ! Nothing against Bersa but accuracy quality and value are all built into a P90

along with one of the best firearm reputations in the biz -

Dad has one and he loves it and will be his carry gun when he finds a holster he likes .It had a FTE in the first mag no issues since .200+ rnds groups well .Its a lil thick for my hand but It is a good shooter. I wouldn't recommend it for a woman unless shes pretty strong,It has a pretty stout spring .

Holsters and anything else right here: Your one-stop shop for all things Bersa and Firestorm

Your avatar has a P90.........Anyone looking for a high value 45 THATS the way to go

Ruger ! Nothing against Bersa but accuracy quality and value are all built into a P90

along with one of the best firearm reputations in the biz -

I have a P89. I agree, can't beat the Ruger. The only drawback is it is large but it is the most reliable handgun I own.