Can you hunt squirrels on WMA during season with no permits?

Guest BRad704

Guest BRad704

I have only ever been on 1 hunt, but plan to change that all in 2010. My 1 hunt was quail, so I have no experience with anything 4-legged.

I have a friend who is going to take my deer hunting on his parents farm later, but my question for now (or Aug 28) is about squirrels... I can go to my aunt's 280 acres, but would like more options.

Are you able to go to any WMA and squirrel-hunt during the season? Please forgive me if it is sort of a stupid question, I just have no experience, and reading all over the TWRA website is only SO helpful when you don't have the practical experience to relate to it...

Shelby/Fayette Co by the way, if it matters...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You need a hunt/fish license and a type 93 for WMA small game. If you are going to hunt a good bit, check out the sportsman license. Once I add up Archery, Muzzeloader, Gun, WMA, trout stamp, draw hunt costs, ect. I come out better getting the sportsman.

Everyone who hunts on a Wildlife Management Area is required to have a WMA permit except the holder of a Lifetime Sportsman License, Annual Sportsman License, Annual Senior Citizen Permit (Type 167), and youths under age 16 hunting small game and waterfowl. The youth hunters must be accompanied by an adult with a valid WMA permit. Youths under age 6 may not hunt big game on a WMA. All ages need a Type 094 permit for county non-quota hunts.

TYPE DESCRIPTION COST

091 WMA Small Game and Waterfowl $51.00

092 1-Day Small Game and Waterfowl $10.50

093 WMA Small Game Only $17.00

094 Special Season/WMA Nonquota Big Game

Valid for all County Special Season non-quota and WMA non-quota big game hunts, including Cherokee. $21.00

095 Cherokee WMA Big Game Nonquota

Valid only for Cherokee WMA non-quota big game hunts. $16.00

Edited by whiskey

I agree that TWRA does a good job.....but there is something just dirty about having to pay $51 to shoot a squirrel. Almost as stupid as having to pay even more for a big game license to hunt a wild pig

Or have an almost inability to shoot a flying pig (can. goose)

just pontificates how good a deal that lifetime liscense when you are a little tyke.

Guest sneakboxer

I'm new to hunting in TN too. I contacted my local TWRA office for the answers. The office placed me in contact with a officer and he helped me with all my stupid questions. Give your local office a call during normal working hours and i'm sure that they can help you out.

Good on you for asking before you break the law, ignorance is not a good excuse.

Greg

Guest BRad704

I never like to leave my fate up to ignorance... I'm a planner... almost to a fault.

I think I'll just go walk around my aunt's place in Fayette later this year once the season is open again... there's gotta be at least a couple of them on 280acres, right?