Lasik Eye Surgery

kb4ns

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest db99wj
Tomorrow morning, I'm getting Lasik done on my peepers. I wanted to apologize in advance if I look like I'm drunk typing the next day or two while my eyes heal up... :)

Dude, you will be seeing clearly minutes after they are done. A little irritated but better. By afternoon, you will be good to go, so don't blame your typing on that!

Good luck!

Haha. Thanks. I know they said they'd "offer" a Valium before the procedure. Considering I couldn't even stand to put contacts in my eyes, I think I'm going to have to opt "for" the valium... :)

Haha. Thanks. I know they said they'd "offer" a Valium before the procedure. Considering I couldn't even stand to put contacts in my eyes, I think I'm going to have to opt "for" the valium... ;)

Yeah! That valium would have to knock me the **** out.

No way in hell I could be awake for that. :):panic:

Edited by strickj
Guest 731david

I've been thinking about having that done...if ya don't mind can you give us a ball park cost on having the procedure done?

The place I'm going is running a 50% off special this month. Regular price is $4,400, so I'll be spending $2,200. They offer intrest free financing for 12 months. I guess if you default, they'll reposess your eyes... :)

I had my eyes done by Dr. Wang in Nashville a couple of months ago, and so far I'm not happy. Some of it's not Dr. Wangs fault, and some is. I will also preface my remarks with the fact that next week will be 3 months, and they are planning to do enhancements. My eyes are 20/25 in the left and 20/35 in the right, and I am right eye dominant. I had the surgery specifically to help my shooting.

The surgery was the day before the Nashville floods, and my first post-op was the day of the floods. I'm sure that you know of the frequency of which you have to put medicine drops in. Coming back from the visit after having the doctor tell me that I had unusual amounts of swelling I came back to LaVergne to find that the idiot mayor declared martial law, (yes, I know that he can't do that), shut down all the roads into LaVergne, and wouldn't let anyone in or out because he was afraid of looting. Mind you, there was no looting at all going on, and only Waldron Road was actually flooded. It was several hours before Governor Numb-nuts called Mayor Moron and ordered him to open the roads it actually happened. By this time I was several hours past medication time, and my eyes felt like they had been pepper-sprayed.

I do not doubt the lack of medicine didn't help the outcome of my surgery, but further follow-up visits shoed my eyes getting worse. I have mixed emotions about the follow-up enhancements. I hope it works, because I'm tired of going around with my right eye being useless. I have to shoot using my left eye when I'm right-handed, and that just doesn't feel right. So I just haven't shot at all in 3 months

SWJewell, that sucks. Was it the antibiotic drops that you were delayed getting/using? I know that they gave me a prescription for $55 :) antibiotic eye drops (they would have been $110 w/o insurance) that I must take with me to the surgery.

SWJewell, that sucks. Was it the antibiotic drops that you were delayed getting/using? I know that they gave me a prescription for $55 :eek: antibiotic eye drops (they would have been $110 w/o insurance) that I must take with me to the surgery.

Anti-biotics, yes, but more importantly anti-inflammatory drops. My eyes felt like I was pepper-sprayed the entire afternoon/evening until I was able to get home. They also had me on Restasis. I layed-out over $250 in co-pays. The Restasis is expensive, I they told me after I payed for it to stop using it.

Let me know how it goes bubba. This is something that I have been thinking about for a long time and about two years ago, my doc said it was starting to look like an option for me. I'll have to wait a while and save up but it is something that is probably in my future.

Guest db99wj

You know part of my story kb, but others don't. I had it done about 7 years ago, went from 20/240, 20/300 (I think) to 20/15, yes better than 20/20. Been great, no real problems, some blurriness at dusk and in seminars/classes in large, high ceiling rooms with fluorescent lighting. As time has gone by, I have noticed that these low light conditions had gotten a little worse and I was having a little bit of blurriness at night, especially when tired, when trying to read the guide on tv. It got to the point I was having some headaches and "tired eyes" going on. I went to the eye doc and said that my vision has gotten a little worse and if I wanted, I could get some glasses for driving and tv and classes. I said sure, it was great as far as clarity, and I wore them a lot so much that I noticed, even during the day that I my vision wasn't as crisp without. Which sucked because I was wearing the glasses more and more. Well couple of things were going on recently and I didn't wear my glasses at all and my eyes got "better" without wearing them. So I don't wear them during the day for the most part and only wear them at night when I watch tv or if I am driving at dusk. A major factor is how tired I am, if I'm tired, can definitely tell, I could this morning. If I'm well rested, not as big of an issue.

Would I do it again, you dang right I would. I might go in at some point and get an enhancement, but I'm almost 38 and I might wait a little bit to see what my eyes do, I'm at that age where vision changes a bit, which is most likely the cause of the above issue. They, the docs, said this could/would happen. Before I had it done, I could see my computer screen without contacts or glasses on.

Guest buttonhook

I had it done a few years ago...overall I'm happy I was 20/400 before....... now I'm 20/15 plus EVERYTHING THAT db99wj said above.... I still have a little stigmatisim so I have a little double vision not bad though and most of the time not even noticed unless my eyes are really dry. I do have glasses that I use to correct it when needed almost never use them. Your eyes will be really really effected by light. Buy a GREAT pair of sunglasses. I tried several big name brands but the best I found was maui jim's "big kauna" with the glass bronze lens they are not cheap but so worth it.

Edited by buttonhook

Well, I'm done with the procedure and have had my nap (thanks valium!), so I figured I'd give you guys an update. When I went in, they started with the left eye. Went without a hitch. They moved on to the right eye. The little suction device (that holds your eye while a laser cuts the flap over your eye) kept popping off of my right eye. The doctor said she'd rather do PRK on the right eye instead of Lasik as she didn't want to chance making a crappy flap and causing healing issues. The difference between the two being that, instead of making a flap to do the corrections, they scrape that top layer of the eye off altogether and then proceed the same way they do with the Lasik. Now there's no flap to heal on my right eye, but I have a "bandage contact" over it to protect the eye while it's healing. My right eye will take longer to heal, but once everything heals up, I should be 20/20 or better in both eyes.

As far as my vision now, the left eye (Lasik) is pretty darn good. I don't have any reason to be worried about it right now. The right eye (PRK) is still somewhat blurry, but I was told that it would take at least a week or two for it to heal up right and provide real good vision. I am already sick of eye drops, though, and I still have a long way to go! :)

The place I'm going is running a 50% off special this month. Regular price is $4,400, so I'll be spending $2,200. They offer intrest free financing for 12 months. I guess if you default, they'll reposess your eyes... :squint:

What is the name of the place where you got it done? I guess I missed the 50% off special. Maybe they'll do it again soon and I can get it done.

What is the name of the place where you got it done? I guess I missed the 50% off special. Maybe they'll do it again soon and I can get it done.

Southern Eye Associates - www.southerneyememphis.com

They're always running specials. Either May or June, it was 50% off for First Responders. Other times they offer 50% off if you donate ($300 I think) to their mission work. Can't get their website to come up right now, but there's some good info on it.