Range Report RIA 1911 Commander

kesava

Ok fella's I have a short range report with the Rock Island Armory 1911 .45.

Lets start with the finish. Comes oily and once fired with a brass casing. Very simple look. As simple as a G.I. can look, save for the wood grips. The sights are simple 3-dot and nonadjustable. It is well balanced and finished. The grips aren't the best in the world, but they are like bacardi and coke (they get the job done).

th_IMG_0216.jpg

th_IMG_0216.jpg

Firing the 1911 is as easy, fun and accurate as 98% of 1911's i have handled.

Seating the clip with the action locked open leaves a little bit of play. Engaging the action and chambering a round locks it tight. Even though the sights are simple 3-dot sight, the sight picture is clear and ready for any situation you need if for (save for 50+ yard shots)

There is a bit of creep in the trigger. right around a millimeter or two. The trigger weight and break is just right and crisp. Very pleasant indeed.

I used some WWB FMJ and was able to get some decent groups. The following groups are at 10 and 15 yards.

photo-1.jpg

photo1.jpg

I want to buy the tactical version and trade out the slide and sell the mismatched gun eventually. Or, maybe just redo the trigger (but I suck as gun-smithing).

I HIGHLY recommend this pistol. I would say that it is as accurate as my buddies kimber custom. However, the kimber has no trigger creep and a slightly more comfy dove tail. I went 200 rounds, no cleaning - no FTF's, stovepipes, whatsoever. It just waited on the next clip.

Thanks guys.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Jack, he was obviously referring to the next video, or "movie clip" (assuming that shootin' that well needs "filming."

Or, or second thought, it was probably "clipping" the paper as kesava fired the rounds into the target.

Ya think?

(OOOOOOOhhhhh ... ... I bet you thought he meant "magazine.")

Nevermind.

(PS -- kesava, if I could shoot that well, I wouldn't care WHAT I called that thing that holds the "boolits" ... so just funnin' you.)

Actually, I am quite edumacated in the differences and often got yelled at by my C.O. but, alas

A.) I ignore people who get bent out of shape about the difference.

B.) My grandfather called them clips (WWII veteran, stationed out of Tuskegee) till he died, who undoubtedly got it from his father (WWI veteran, when they actually used clips). He taught me how to shoot and it stuck with me. (I know bad habits and firearms make horrible bed fellows)

C.) Also, might just be a yankee thing too :)

Edited by kesava
too wordy

Great review, I'm on my 3rd RIA a full size tactical, my commander was perfect and never had a problem, sold it and I regret it. I then bought a full size GI model and traded up for the tactical I have now. I shoot this gun better than any other gun I have in including my Sig P220 ST or my Gen 4 G17? At the present time the RIA'S are the best bargain 1911's out there.. IMHO........... COOP

Guest jackdm3

Not bent out of shape. It's just that if I had only wrote, "Clip!?!?!" it wouldn't have taken up much space as writing a paragraph kidding you about it. So I just upsized it. :)

Guest Keinengel

They always call them clips in cheesy 80s cop movies......

I've heard and seen nothing but good things about the RIAs so far. I've always been a little skeptical about how well a 350 dollar 1911 holds up tho.

Guest cheez
Whats the difference between the GI and the Tactical?

The GI is total plain jane.

Tactical has nice skeletonized trigger, Novak style dovetail sights, beavertail grip. Maybe more but I can't remember right now. The tactical is definitely the better gun for not much more money. Matter of fact IMO the RIA Tactical is better than the lowest two Springers, the new R1 Remington and as good as the Taurus for quite a bit less money.

i have yet to hear bad things about any of the RIA's. They are simply awesome. They are by far an awesome deal for the money. I bought mine for 275 otd about 3 years ago. Kimbers are fine but there is no way I am paying that much for a 1911 that has a 7-8 round capacity. 1911's are hard to screw up.