Okay, just got back from the range and my inital impressions are...

mav

Evening folks. I decided to drop by the range after work to see if all you Glock guys know what you are talking about.:D I only had time to run a 100 rounds through my new Glock 34. Well, it is reliable. I did not do any precleaning. Just took it out of the box and started firing. I was using Blazer 115 FMJ ammo and I had zero problems. I can't say this is anymore reliable initally than any of my other guns considering I haven't had any problems with any of them.

Let's get the bad stuff out of the way. I don't really care for the way the Glock feels in my hands. It isn't terrible, but the best way I can describe it is it feels boxy. My 1911s feel like they were made for my hand. The Glock isn't a comfortable pistol.

Secondly, the trigger feels a little sloppy. It is way better than the FNP-9 that I traded for the Glock, and considering it is a Glock, I have a myriad of choices to fix that issue.

Those are the only two issues I have with my Glock 34. I don't think they are bad issues, but more of just a personal preference.

Now for the good. I was really impressed at the accuracy for a relatively cheap gun. I expect that the accuracy will only improve the more I get used to it. I believe if I do some trigger work, it could become lights out accurate. The following pics were taken with my phone, and the range was approxiamtely 8-9 yards with 10 shots. This was slow aimed fire. I have been admonished for slow aimed fire, but I think it is important to see how accurate I can be with the gun before I start doing any defensive style shooting.

20100728183752.jpg

Second grouping

20100728183804.jpg

Third grouping

20100728183814.jpg

As you can see, the groupings are nothing to write home about. However, I think they are pretty good for an out-of-the-box cheap gun, using cheap ammo, and the first time shooting a Glock. As I stated earlier, I expect these to get much tighter. I know the gun is capable of it.

The last 10 ten rounds I fired as fast as I could pull the trigger. You don't get to see that pic. It is on my wall of shame to let me know I need to practice. I thought that is one of the downsides of a really light gun. It is harder to control the recoil without a lot of practice. I couldn't imagine trying to control rapid fire in .45 acp. I will stick with my 1911s for .45.

Overall, I was very pleased with the performance and value of the gun. My intial expectations were low. After shooting it, I would have no problem recommended them to someone looking for a quality afforable handgun. The only thing I might change on the gun is the trigger, but I won't go bat **** crazy with a bunch of customizations. I don't think it needs it.

Well, there you have it. My $0.02.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe

I hope you end up enjoying your new piece. Maybe one day I will own one myself but for now "Boxy" is exactly how I would describe how every one I have picked up and the few I have fired have felt to me.:D

They sure have not sold millions of them because they DIDNT work well. I have been told I just have small hands.....maybe one day though.

DO enjoy :P

I would tend to agree with your assessment about the Glock trigger and the boxy feel. Compared to a single stack 1911 it is a come-down in both departments. The 1911 trigger is pretty hard to beat, as is the more ergonomic single stack grip. 1911's will spoil you.

As far as a striker fired, double stack, no safety, tupper-gun...I prefer the S&W M&P. Much better trigger, grip, and yes looks too. All that being said, I still do carry my G26 more than my full size M&P 9. Mainly because of size and weight.