Best value on 9mm bullets locally?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

Those precision delta prices look great. Wish they sold 9mm 124 gr jacketed in flat point or hollow point. I like flat point or hollow point just because they punch round holes in the paper and it is easier to see the target group. The rounded FMJ tend to tear flaps in the paper and its harder to see the hits.

Does an ordinary round tip FMJ have any tendency to be significantly more accurate than a flat point or hollow point?

Guest Plus1Hdcp

It looks as if they, Precision Delta, are starting to make HP. At least I see them showing up in there Ammo section and hopefully they will soon show up in the bullet section. By the way, I have ordered in a 1000 lot before.

Does an ordinary round tip FMJ have any tendency to be significantly more accurate than a flat point or hollow point?

I doubt it. I'm no competition shooter. All of them are more accurate than I am... :lol:

By the way, I have ordered in a 1000 lot before.

Yeah, another TGOer and I were talking about that the other day. Apparently this recently changed. If you try to purchase 1,000 you get the following message during checkout-

Bullets must be ordered in multiples of 2000, however it is permissable to mix calibers to reach this quantity. An odd quantity may be ordered, but a $5 charge (not reflected in your shopping cart) will be charged.

I'm not 100% sure what is meant by "an odd quantity". Maybe you can order only 1,000 for $5.00 extra?

Precision Delta is the cheapest real FMJ bullet I have found. If you want to save another buck or two, the Berry's bullets work well, but they're plated, not FMJ.

Yeah, another TGOer and I were talking about that the other day. Apparently this recently changed. If you try to purchase 1,000 you get the following message during checkout-

I'm not 100% sure what is meant by "an odd quantity". Maybe you can order only 1,000 for $5.00 extra?

Precision Delta is the cheapest real FMJ bullet I have found. If you want to save another buck or two, the Berry's bullets work well, but they're plated, not FMJ.

You can always find someone to split an order with. That's actually how I found Precision Delta, a friend and I split 1000 9mm bullets that someone was selling in the trading post. I've been happy with them.

You can always find someone to split an order with.

Yep. I hate to buy 2,000 of any component that I've never used before in case I don't like it. I actually got with someone who orders from them all the time and traded some stuff for some of his 115gr Precision Delta boolits to try out.

Guest Archminister01

I just checked the precision sit and they list purchases at 1000. if you arder any mixed quantity over 6000 then you get $2 discount per 1000.

Guest Lester Weevils

After I use up 1500 9mm XTP's, might try some Precision FMJ's. As said earlier, main objection to FMJ's is that they don't make easy-to-see holes in paper compared to HP's. The price certainly is right on the Precisions.

I was happy many years with Rainier copper-plated HP's. The weight and size seemed consistent and they seemed accurate practice ammo. Similar to Berry's apparently. Price was great, but last year they just became unobtanium. Out of stock everywhere. Dunno if they are easier to get nowadays. Last couple of times I checked at Midway, they were backordered the times I checked. Last time was a couple of weeks ago.

Unless the Rainier production output is just a trickle, lots of people must like em to be so consistently backordered.

Is there a big difference in the jacketed and plated bullets? I have seen Berry's local and thought of getting some of them to start with.

There is a difference in how they are made and how they must be loaded (load them similar to lead, maybe a bit stronger, but still less than FMJ). But if you're just wanting to plink or punch holes in paper, they're great! They're almost as cheap as lead bullets, but you don't have to deal with the fouling and other negatives associated with lead. I've gone through quite a bit of the Berry's bullets with nothing but great results.

Is there a big difference in the jacketed and plated bullets? I have seen Berry's local and thought of getting some of them to start with.

I used several thousand of Berry's 45 acp. Never had a problem with them!:D

So my buddy and myself are going to split 2000 rounds of the 9mm this week from Precision Delta.

I have another question though, is the an accuracy difference between FMJ and JHP? I know a bullseye shooter who usses JHP and he told me they were more accurate that FMJ? Another precision shooter told me just the opposite? So I'm looking for the best accuracy out of my G17 Gen 4 as I train on my shooting precision... Thanks COOP

COOP,

I know guys who swear by both and refuse any argument made by the other side. I've heard pros of HP bullets being that the weight is shifted to the rear of the bullet causing better performance, but then again I've heard of cons to HP bullets as well. I think that a quality bullet will be a good performer regardless of the style. Almost every bullet I've fired out of my pistols has been more accurate than I am. I tend to just stick with whatever is most affordable.

With that said, the only bullet I've ever seen that absolutely would not go where it was supposed to in 9mm was an Aguila HP (factory ammo - not my own loads). Those things were insanely terrible (at least the ones I had were). I swear they were capable of 6 foot groups at 25 yards. Hence my suggestion of quality bullets. :dropjaw: