G21 SF Advice

Guest 10mm4me

Guest 10mm4me

My wife got me a G21SF a few months ago and it has been great. One little thing though, when the mag is topped off w/13 rounds (13+1) the ambi-mag release sometimes sticks in the engaged position. It happens most when using the right side. However, when it is loaded w/12 (12+1) I have not been able to duplicate the problem. Not really a big deal, 13 rds is enough I guess.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd email Glock. Maybe the problem will go away as the mag spring loses some of it's stiffness, and the 13th round round won't be pushing the magazine down causing the button to not engage. Who knows maybe Glock will send you a new mag to try out. Good Luck and congrats on your 21SF.

Guest G.I.T.S.

I had the same problem with my 21SF. My magazine release would get stuck with a fully loaded magazine and the magazine release spring would pop out. I called Glock to get help and they offered to replace my receiver with a non-ambidextrous receiver. My only issue with that is I want matching serial numbers on the receiver, barrel, and slide. That's the way I bought it. If I did the swap out I would have a different serial number on the receiver than on the other two major components. On top of that, I had ROBAR do a NP3 treatment on it and I fear that Glock will not manage to put my expensive NP3 coated components back in my firearm. So I put those miserable years of engineering I suffered through in the Navy to use and I figured out how to fix it. The magazine catch/release has three parts to it (the polymer release button, the metal catch, and a flat metal spring.) After pondering on the matter for a few days I recreated the issue and let the magazine catch/release parts fall out of the firearm. I then arranged them on my desk as they sit in the firearm. The fix was so simple it hurts. The flat spring that presses the metal catch into the polymer release button (the flat spring is what essentially holds the whole mechanism together) did not have enough tension to effectively secure the whole unit together properly under a fully loaded magazine while functioning as advertised. So I increased the bend in the spring pretty significantly to give it more definition in curvature and angle. I then put the parts back together in the firearm and now it works perfectly. Make sure if you do this to put the parts back together properly or you will have a bad situation if the gun is fired. The flat spring will need some force to reinstall but once it is in, it is there to stay (provided you don't break out the power tools). The spring will make a clicking noise once it properly in place. Granted I have to put some effort into pushing the magazine release button (I was doing that anyway) but now I don't have to push up on the magazine to get the release mechanism to let go and the catch/release mechanism works beautifully. I am now happy with my firearm once again and can confidently carry it as I intended. I hope this helps someone who has had this problem. If anyone needs any further help with this matter, post a message in this forum and I will do my best to assist.

Guest DanE479

I'm a Glock Armorer, with SF training. I can take a look at it personally, and probably fix it. Also, stay away from extensions. They cause issues, because magazine springs are not built for them. I know my 21sf has a harder push on teh mag release when I have all 13 rounds in, but I don't expect to be releaseing the mag when it's full.

Let me know.

Guest GunTroll

Strange that there seems top be a few people with this same problem. I have not had this happen with my 21SF. I too am a Glock armorer and found the Glock Rep to kind of laugh at the 21SF with the pic rail. He pulled me aside to show me the ins and outs of the ambi release. He didn't care for the design of the release. Oh well, I like mine even though I have never used the right side to date. To each their own on the extensions. Glock sells factory manufactured extensions so I guess they at least stand behind them (or theirs at least). Hope you figured it out guy.