Traffic stop: My $1500 .45 confiscated. Court coming up. Need advice/help/attorney

TresMon

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

He "did nothing wrong?" :shake:I know we're not allowed to make any disparaging comments on this board regarding the almightly LEO, but how much of this crap are you willing to give them a pass on?

There are all sorts of personalities in LE just like there are in every aspect of life. Some come across better than others, but that in no way makes a cop crooked or demands a lawsuit because they guy's personality is not "jovial" :ugh:

Guest Jamie
The OP broke the law. The officer enforced the law. The officer has a gun, a bage, and the court system on his side. All I'm saying is why the need to be a jerk about enforcing the law?

Do we know for a fact that the cop was being a jerk? Or that the OP wasn't?

Anything is possible, but since I don't know either one of 'em and wasn't there, it's all still just a story on the 'net to me. :ugh:

It'll be interesting to hear whether or not the OP gets his gun back.

J.

He "did nothing wrong?" :shake:I know we're not allowed to make any disparaging comments on this board regarding the almightly LEO, but how much of this crap are you willing to give them a pass on?

Sounds like he was being a complete dink. But "aren't cops great" is a pretty broad stroke.

Guest tngw1500se

Loaded gun and no permit? That ain't going to work out so well if you're pulled over and tell the cop you have a loaded gun in the car. Other than that, there has to be more to this story in order to comment further

I don't give them a pass. We only have the word of guy who is pissed because his pistol got taken. The cop could have been Andy Griffin and the poster would still be pissed. As I stated before "I hate crooked cops". I have to humble myself almost everytime I deal with Memphis' finest. I think that far too many of them abuse their authority when they are having bad days.

OP, please do NOT take this as legal advice. Hire a lawyer and follow his or her advice. However, this sounds like a fairly simple matter (depending on the exact charges) and could be handled by a good criminal defense attorney in Knoxville. Generally, the costs for defense shouldn't be that expensive (but would likely be more than the cost of the gun). I could not take a case in Knoxville at this point, but just find a good criminal defense attorney and see what he or she can do. If you are eligible for diversion (and the exact charges are eligible for diversion), you should be able to negotiate this case.

One other suggestion. Stop talking about this case on the internet. You need a lawyer, not advice off the internet (even the generally good advice you can get on this forum ;)).

Edited by midtennchip
OP, please do NOT take this as legal advice. Hire a lawyer and follow his or her advice. However, this sounds like a fairly simple matter (depending on the exact charges) and could be handled by a good criminal defense attorney in Knoxville. Generally, the costs for defense shouldn't be that expensive (but would likely be more than the cost of the gun). I could not take a case in Knoxville at this point, but just find a good criminal defense attorney and see what he or she can do. If you are eligible for diversion (and the exact charges are eligible for diversion), you should be able to negotiate this case.

One other suggestion. Stop talking about this case on the internet. You need a lawyer, not advice off the internet (even the generally good advice you can get on this forum :D).

wow finally someone who did not play an attorney on TV or stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night. ;)

And your advice is pretty close to what I said. Maybe I ought to play an attorney on TV:p

And the biggest reason to have this taken care of is you do not want a Lautenberg Law to reach out and bite you some day. Getting the gun back is secondary really.

Guest strelcevina

ir sounded like criminal to me. keeping worst for the end, and saying it quietly ;)

1. i just did this little thing.

2. im not that bad at all.

3. i was just mining my own businesses

4. i robbed a place

my advice is. man up and pay a price for what you did. and move on

One other suggestion. Stop talking about this case on the internet. You need a lawyer, not advice off the internet (even the generally good advice you can get on this forum ;)).

This. And I'm also too far from Knoxville to help you, but Chip is dead on here.

The OP broke the law. The officer enforced the law. The officer has a gun, a bage, and the court system on his side. All I'm saying is why the need to be a jerk about enforcing the law?

The cop could have been Mr. Rodgers and taken him to jail.

He should have taken him to jail.

If I was in the OP's shoes, I'd be thanking my lucky stars that I got a lecture instead of jail time.

But hey, that's just me You may prefer jail time over a chewing out ;)

Guest JHatmaker

I think the OP got the advice he was looking for.

Don't want this thread to turn south. Good luck with your situation though.