New Bill introduced proposing CCW in establishment serving liquor

Here is the answer I got from Mike Bell, My rep. in reference to this question:

Something occurred to me. Why can't we get enough people that want this bill

and get it past the "speaker" Yes I know he is the holdup on any Pro 2A

legislature.

The rules and committee system make it difficult. Whoever controls the placing of members on the committees can stack them in such a way that a bill that would pass with 65 votes on the floor can be killed with three votes in a sub-committee.

Mike

But Neifeh ruled that the motion to vote to bring the bill to the floor for a vote was out of order.

committees can stack them in such a way that a bill that would pass with 65 votes on the floor can be killed with three votes in a sub-committee.

Why is this allowed to happen? The few should not over-ride the many, and definitely the speaker seems to have way to much power. it is not right an ought to be corrected.

Why is this allowed to happen? The few should not over-ride the many, and definitely the speaker seems to have way to much power. it is not right an ought to be corrected.

:mad: Exactly.

Unlikely....the best bet would be for those that live in his district to vote someone else in and/or vote in more republicans to the house.

I had heard that he has a run next time around. They finally got someone who is supposed to run that is "well liked" in the area. Don's know what means but maybe if it dosen't pass this time we will loose that loser in the next election.

I have a question for our anti-ccw senators:

"If we are eating together in Olive Garden, and I happen to save your life with my ccw from a nut who comes in intent on murdering as many patrons as he can, will you thank me or have me arrested? And how would you have been safer if I hadn't been allowed in the door?"

That's a well-written letter. Hope it does some good, and I believe it will. Every little bit helps.

Unfortunately, in Memphis, there is so much Blood Running in the Streets from all of the legal gun owners and carriers out there that the mass populous is afeared of us carrying in Outback Steakhouse.

I want you to take a moment to think about where most of the restaurants are located - near malls which are bastions for criminals. - Mall of Murder (Memphis) anyone?

Thanks Tom for your insightful letter, but I don't think it will do much good here in this town. Too many reports about people "packing heat" to over come.

But I emailed my reps anyway...

Well I went to Outback last night, I know for a fact that if you carry into outback 1. no one notices :cool:2. the evil gun will not jump out of your pocket and start shooting someone. :eek:and 3. the sure know how to make a porterhouse that will melt in your mouth.:P

Seriously, I'm not saying which one I went into but I placed my M&P40c in my pocket (printed pretty bad but no one noticed), and had an enjoyable meal without worrying about someone (a bad guy) coming up to me on my way to the car.

REad between the lines....

Well I went to Outback last night, I know for a fact that if you carry into outback 1. no one notices :cool:2. the evil gun will not jump out of your pocket and start shooting someone. :eek:and 3. the sure know how to make a porterhouse that will melt in your mouth.:P

Seriously, I'm not saying which one I went into but I placed my M&P40c in my pocket (printed pretty bad but no one noticed), and had an enjoyable meal without worrying about someone (a bad guy) coming up to me on my way to the car.

REad between the lines....

I'll just say the same goes for Logan's Roadhouse in Jackson, but in my case it was the Ribeye that's superb.

I received a call today from my representative Harry Brooks. I had forgotten that he was supposed to return my call. It was confirmed to me that he is very much a supporter of RKBA and the 2A, and I questioned him a bit about his stance on some other things and found he and I have a lot of common ground.

The reason I called him was about this law pertaining to carrying firarms in establishments that serve alcohol for on premise consumption. He assured me he was in support of this bill and would vote for it if it came to the floor. But unfortunately he went on to explain that it will never see the light of day for vote in the house.

This bill will never make it out of the judicial committee that it must go through first.

He explained that the Speaker of the House has people positioned on committees such that certain topics never make it out of the door. This proposed carry law is one such bill. He specifically mentioned bills pertaining to abortion rights/right to life and laws to ease gun controls. Naifeh does not want these to come to a vote and they will not come to a vote.

I asked Rep Brooks if he thought this carry bill would pass if it by some miracle did make it out of committee, he replied that more than likely it would pass.

I asked why such bills are killed in committee rather than serve the will of the people. He responded that one reason Naifeh positions certain people on certain committee's is to prevent any public division amongst Democrats in the house. Basically no one has to take a public stand if there is no controversial bill to vote on. And that in a nutshell is why this will not come to a vote. It keeps the party in line, publically as one voice.

I asked about what could be done and basically all that can be done is to vote in more Republicans than Democrat's so the Repub's get to name the speaker or for Mr. Naifeh to be voted out of office in his district or that he retire.

So while I enjoyed speaking to my Representative I am also dis-heartened that not much is going to change in the immediate future. Of course this I pretty much knew before todays phone call.

So there you have it.

Same old same old. The law abiding people will have to become criminals if they want to protect themselves and the criminals will know this so they will go along preying on the innocent.

Nice Naifeh. I am sure glad that you are doing the citizens of this state proud in your desire to do nothing.

While you are at it, why don't you just go ahead and consolidate Memphis w/ Shelby County. I am sure the rest of the state could use that.

I ran into my State Rep (Debra Maggart) at an MLK Day march and event today. As we were talking I said "Oh, I need to lobby you on a bill." She said (and I quote): "Let me guess Len, you want to carry your gun into a restaurant." I said Yes." She says "me too." She also said the bill will never make it to the floor out of the committee system, but there may be a procedural way to get it to floor somehow. (She was not specific, and I don't know the house rules well enough to do anything but speculate.) Well, I guess my state rep knows me pretty well since I didn't even have to say "HB 0702."

(She calls me "her favorite Democrat," which I assume is a compliment/insult combo of some sort!)

Sitting next to her at the event was our County Sheriff. He's a good Yankee I have know for many years and was also 100% on our side. He took exception to the MNPD Chief's op-ed in yesterday's Tennessean.

I ran into my State Rep (Debra Maggart) at an MLK Day march and event today.

Somehow I missed that event here....

She also said the bill will never make it to the floor out of the committee system, but there may be a procedural way to get it to floor somehow.

Len I think I described that attempt in this post http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/showpost.php?p=54519&postcount=175 and what happened in 2005. There were a lot of Democrats mad at the Speaker - but they voted for him the next time anyway.

Guest canynracer

sheesh you guys, lets have positive thoughts...i am sure that the other states had struggles when they were younger...lets all think positive and continue to email... :D

or better yet, when is the next election for the house? LOL (told you I am terrible at this, but hey, gotta start somewhere)

or better yet, when is the next election for the house?

All 90 some-odd seats in the state house and half in the state senate (either 17 or 18, I forget which it is this year) are up for election this year. The period when candidates can pick up petitions to run has already begun.