New Bill introduced proposing CCW in establishment serving liquor

I have never seen a legal sign at a restaurant in Arkansas that serves alcohol keeping the few of us with licenses out. Technically speaking you can carry in the bar areas and even drink as long as you are not intoxicated (no my instructor did not tell me, I looked up the code that prohibits being intoxicated and carrying a handgun). People have not had shoot outs in restaurants and bars, but what ocurred is you have handguns secure on people's persons instead of in a car to be stolen.

Tennessee's main obstacle to this restaurant problem seems to be the house speaker. Restaurants and bars won't waste their time putting up a sign that makes their business look ugly. In time, the speaker will be gone. Are there term limits in Tennessee for the state legislators?

On a side note, I think it would be easier to make a law prohibiting the state/municipalities from posting parks with signs that keep handgun carry permitees than the restaurant deal. I also would like to see the law changed regarding wildlife management areas and the silly carrying a firearm around big game.

The restaurants can be taken on one at a time. If you want to do business there after they put up a sign...then fine. If the bill gets passed I think a lot of restaurant will "forget" about the signs. If some post them, then that will point out where to spend your money, or where to talk to management to get the signs removed. It's a dang sight better than this BS law we have now.

Not doubting you by any means, but is there any document's stating that? I can't find a one.

For a change No...

All I know is I can find no law or rule that says there are term limits, sort of like open carry without a permit is legal in some states because there is no law against it.

Also I know legislators that have been office for YEARS. Senator John Wilder has been in the Senate for over 40 years. So if there are term limits, they are pretty liberal.

From Wilder's page on the state's website (link above on his name)

Senate member of the 81st, 85th through 105th General Assemblies

Speaker of the Senate from 1971 - 2006

Do the math 85th-105th General Assemblies is 20 x 2 years for each term is 40 years.

Guest Jason F.

I do not see it as wasted effort. I spent maybe 15 minutes drafting a letter I could send out to my representatives. I spent maybe 5 minutes tweaking that message when it made it through the Senate so I could send it to some folks in the House. So yeah I spent twenty minutes on this over all.

If more and more people send letters and make phone calls to voice their opinions when these carry and firearms issues come to the table sooner or later we may convince some legislative members to pass some pro carry and firearms laws. It may very well be a pipe dream but less than an hour of my time to read, make myself more aware of the issue, and send a few letters only makes me a more active and informed citizen. That is good for me and good for our governmental processes.

Fallguy,

From the Wiki link you posted: wikipedia page

The Democratic majority in the Tennessee House was narrowed to 53-46 by the overall statewide outcome of this election. Shortly after the election some pundits suggested scenarios in which another Democrat considered to be less partisan, such as Frank Buck of Dowelltown in Middle Tennessee, could have been elected Speaker if he could get the unanimous support of the Republican minority and the help of a few dissident Democrats from the eastern two-thirds of the state. (From 1973 until January 2007, when state senator John S. Wilder was defeated in his reelection bid for the speakership of the state senate, both houses of the Tennessee General Assembly had been led by West Tennesseeans.) However, Republican party discipline was totally lacking, when the issue came to a vote (Buck declined to be nominated). Nine Republicans joined with all of the Democrats to reelect Naifeh. These Republican members were warned of the possibility, even the probability, of facing officially-party-endorsed opponents in the August 2006 primary election, should they choose to stand for another term.

http://www.nashvillepost.com/news?id=26268

Republicans who voted for Naifeh were, State Rep.s Mike Harrison (Sneedville), Joe McCord (Maryville), Steve McDaniel (Parkers Crossroads), Richard Montgomery (Sevierville), Doug Overbey (Maryville), Dennis Roach (Rutledge), and Kent Williams (Elizabethton).

I do not see it as wasted effort. I spent maybe 15 minutes drafting a letter I could send out to my representatives. I spent maybe 5 minutes tweaking that message when it made it through the Senate so I could send it to some folks in the House. So yeah I spent twenty minutes on this over all.

If more and more people send letters and make phone calls to voice their opinions when these carry and firearms issues come to the table sooner or later we may convince some legislative members to pass some pro carry and firearms laws. It may very well be a pipe dream but less than an hour of my time to read, make myself more aware of the issue, and send a few letters only makes me a more active and informed citizen. That is good for me and good for our governmental processes.

Well said Jason!!

--

Republicans who voted for Naifeh were, State Rep.s Mike Harrison (Sneedville), Joe McCord (Maryville), Steve McDaniel (Parkers Crossroads), Richard Montgomery (Sevierville), Doug Overbey (Maryville), Dennis Roach (Rutledge), and Kent Williams (Elizabethton).

I did see that.... :D

Of course even if all 7 had voted for the Rep nominee, Naifeh would still have got it. So since it is an open record vote....maybe they were just trying to show support for the guy the KNEW was going to be the head of the house. Still doesn't look good though...

Here is my letter back from my rep.

Mr.. db99wj:

Thank you for your email regarding HB0702/SB0023. I appreciate hearing your views regarding this legislation. I am glad that you took the time to contact me.

If you would like to follow this bill online: Please visit http://www.legislature.state.tn.us/ , click on "legislation" and enter the bill number. Our open public system will allow you to learn where the bill is in committee, and view the full text of the bill, as well as any amendments.

Again, I appreciate you sharing your concerns with me about HB0702/SB0023.

Sincerely,

Rep. Brian Kelsey

Seems kind of a canned response to me.

I used Molon's letter back on page 3 or 4, adjusted appropriately of course.

I also sent an email back, asking this "In your opinion, do you think this legislation will come to the floor to be voted on or will it be killed before it gets there? What are the odds of this being passed?"

Sent emails to my Senator and my rep.

Might not have chance in he!! to pass, but I'm doing what I can.

Just too add my :), From previous discussions I know my Rep supports this bill, but I have sent an e-mail asking him to co-sponsor it and if there was anything he could do to help get it out of committee and onto the floor. Also to let me know what, if anything, else I can do on my end.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/jan/23/guns-in-bars-may-pass-sans-briley/

Lawmaker won't be rejoining panel where he blocked bill

By Tom Humphrey

Wednesday, January 23, 2008

NASHVILLE - State Rep. Rob Briley is no longer a member of a key House subcommittee that under his guidance in the past has been a roadblock to passage of so-called "guns in bars" legislation and similar bills.

Briley, D-Nashville, had served as chairman of the House Judiciary Committee and, in that position, appointed himself to serve on the panel's Criminal Practice Subcommittee.

He lost the chairmanship after being arrested last fall and subsequently pleading guilty to drunken-driving charges.

Rep. Kent Coleman, D-Murfreesboro, was initially named to replace Briley as chairman on an interim basis by House Speaker Jimmy Naifeh.

Naifeh said Tuesday he has made Coleman's appointment permanent.

"I think it's in the best interest of the institution because of what has happened," said Naifeh in an interview.

Coleman has decided that Briley has no seat on the subcommittee that traditionally reviews all bills involving criminal statutes. The subcommittee now has five members instead of six.

In the last legislative session, Briley led opposition to a bill that would allow those with handgun carry permits to take their weapons into establishments that sell alcoholic beverages.

The bill died in the Criminal Practice Subcommittee after passing the Senate. The panel has also posed problems for similar measures, such as a bill by Rep. Frank Niceley, R-Strawberry Plains, that would have allowed people with carry permits to take guns into state parks and other recreational areas.

This year, the Senate has again passed a bill that would allow carrying of pistols into establishments selling alcohol, so long as the permit holder himself does not drink. The House companion bill, HB702, is sponsored by Rep. Joe McCord, R-Maryville, and awaits its first vote in the Criminal Practice Subcommittee. No date has been set.

Briley said the prospect for approval of the bill "absolutely" increases without him as a member of the subcommittee. Coleman agreed.

"It has a much better chance of passage this year than it has since I've been in the Legislature," said Coleman, who added that he personally has "an open mind" on whether the bill should become law.

At least three members of the five-member subcommittee would need to vote for the bill to get it through the subcommittee under normal circumstances.

Naifeh, who opposes the bill, can vote on any committee or subcommittee of the House. Should he exercise that right and oppose the bill in the Criminal Practice Subcommittee, the measure would then need four positive votes for passage.

Naifeh said he would wait until the bill comes up, then make a "that-day decision" on whether to vote on the measure.

The speaker said he does not appoint panels with the fate of any particular bill in mind and, if the bill passes, "that's just the way the cards fall."

Tom Humphrey may be reached at 615-242-7782.

Hmm. Ok ,that is a step in the right direction at least.

Kinda ironic that Briley, who was on the Judiciary Committee, appointed himself on the Criminal Practice Subcommitte, lost his chairmanship after being arrested for DUI. Isn't he the same one that was acting all crazy on the officers car cam?

By Tom Humphrey

NASHVILLE - State Rep. Rob Briley is no longer a member of a key House subcommittee that under his guidance in the past has been a roadblock to passage of so-called "guns in bars" legislation and similar bills.

Briley, D-Nashville, had served as chairman of the House Judiciary Committee and, in that position, appointed himself to serve on the panel's Criminal Practice Subcommittee.

He lost the chairmanship after being arrested last fall and subsequently pleading guilty to drunken-driving charges.

Rep. Kent Coleman, D-Murfreesboro, was initially named to replace Briley as chairman on an interim basis by House Speaker Jimmy Naifeh.

Naifeh said Tuesday he has made Coleman's appointment permanent.

"I think it's in the best interest of the institution because of what has happened," said Naifeh in an interview.

Coleman has decided that Briley has no seat on the subcommittee that traditionally reviews all bills involving criminal statutes. The subcommittee now has five members instead of six.

In the last legislative session, Briley led opposition to a bill that would allow those with handgun carry permits to take their weapons into establishments that sell alcoholic beverages.

The bill died in the Criminal Practice Subcommittee after passing the Senate. The panel has also posed problems for similar measures, such as a bill by Rep. Frank Niceley, R-Strawberry Plains, that would have allowed people with carry permits to take guns into state parks and other recreational areas.

This year, the Senate has again passed a bill that would allow carrying of pistols into establishments selling alcohol, so long as the permit holder himself does not drink. The House companion bill, HB702, is sponsored by Rep. Joe McCord, R-Maryville, and awaits its first vote in the Criminal Practice Subcommittee. No date has been set.

Briley said the prospect for approval of the bill "absolutely" increases without him as a member of the subcommittee. Coleman agreed.

"It has a much better chance of passage this year than it has since I've been in the Legislature," said Coleman, who added that he personally has "an open mind" on whether the bill should become law.

At least three members of the five-member subcommittee would need to vote for the bill to get it through the subcommittee under normal circumstances.

Naifeh, who opposes the bill, can vote on any committee or subcommittee of the House. Should he exercise that right and oppose the bill in the Criminal Practice Subcommittee, the measure would then need four positive votes for passage.

Naifeh said he would wait until the bill comes up, then make a "that-day decision" on whether to vote on the measure.

The speaker said he does not appoint panels with the fate of any particular bill in mind and, if the bill passes, "that's just the way the cards fall."

Tom Humphrey may be reached at 615-242-7782.

Now that crap is just wrong. He is too one sided to be able to get away with that crap.:P

By Tom Humphrey

Coleman is the liar that answer the NRA survey to get their support and once in office has voted against virtually ever pro gun bill so I don't expect anything to change.

Coleman is the liar that answer the NRA survey to get their support and once in office has voted against virtually ever pro gun bill so I don't expect anything to change.

Well crap.

Guest Boomhower

So I'll ask again....

*Do you think we could at least have 3 votes?????

Chair

Janis Sontany, (D)

Members

Eddie Bass, (D)

Former, small business owner and Retired Sheriff

Graduate of Giles Co. High School

Graduate of TN Law Enforcement Academy

Graduate of numerous FBI and TBI courses

Rob Briley, (D)

Henry Fincher (D)

Judd Matheny ®

Eight Year Veteran of U.S. Army and Tennessee Army National Guard

Eight Year Veteran of State and Local Law Enforcement

National Rifle Association

Quail Unlimited

National Wild Turkey Federation

Eric Watson ®

Graduate of the Tennessee Law Enforcement Academy

Fraternal Order of Police

National Rifle Association

National Wild Turkey Federation

I'd say this statement pretty much sums up the longevity of this bill even if we get the above 3 votes.

That would be most convenient, don't cha think?

**ahem**.....who are we kidding here people?

It appears that the only way we will get gun friendly bills through the House is to replace Naifeh even if by another Democrat.

For those living in west Tennessee please keep us up to date on candidates running against Naifeh so we can at least support their campaign from afar.

What is Naifeh's political history as far as elections are concerned. Is he one of these pols who never gets any real opposition because he is entrenched in his office and no one can get any traction when running against him? Has he had any close calls in elections recently?

Guest pws_smokeyjones
So I'll ask again....

I'd say this statement pretty much sums up the longevity of this bill even if we get the above 3 votes.

That would be most convenient, don't cha think?

**ahem**.....who are we kidding here people?

I can say this, I did get emails back from Eddie Bass indicating that he was in favor of the bill. We should not discount anyone just because they have a (D) by their name. I have received positive responses on this bill from democrats in both the Senate and the House. What this will ulitmately come down to is Naifeh and if he wakes up "that day" with a stick up his butt or not.

Guest tjbert47

Naifeh will vote if his vote is needed to stop this bill. If his vote makes no difference he will not. It's that simple. If he can stop it he will.

Tom in TN