GUN COATING

Guest bigguy233

Guest bigguy233

I would like to know if anyone in Tennessee is doing Gun coatings, or if anyone has tried any of the products designed for home use that is cured in a oven. Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bigguy233

Thanks for the replies. 308Phantom where did you purchase the duracoat and have you found it to be holding up well, also was it in a spray can or did you have to air brush it.

Guest GunTroll

The secret with dura coating is metal prep and cure time. Don't rush the cure time. You'll want to have the metal prep'd (bead blasted) to make it adhere better as well. What gun are you doing this to?

Guest 308Phantom

I just ordered the duracoat straight from lauer. I have a hvlp air gun that i use. The secret take your time and do the prep work. So far me and my neighbors have been happy with it. Like others have said just don't rush the curing time. Let them sit. I usually let my stuff sit for 2 weeks before reassembly. The advantage to duracoat is it will go on anything from wood,plastic,metal, etc. It work for almost everything, I have done knifes, four wheeler racks and all kinds if stuff. It's not perfect, but holds up well.

Guest Keinengel

I'd really like to get into Duracoating myself. I did some rattle can finishes on Airsoft guns back in the day that were decent but I'd prefer to get help from someone experianced in Duracoating when i'm ready to start on my beretta.

Guest 308Phantom

when you get ready holler if possible I will try to help you out if interested/needed i'm not to far from you. maybe next batch I do I will holler at you. It's just so dang hot it's hard to make myself spray anything. Heck if you want I will let you use my stuff to spray something for you to try.

Guest Keinengel

That'd be great! Yeah, even in the garage it's staying in the 90s... i'm wanting to do a solid coat on a Beretta 92FS but i cant decide what color to go with. I'm thinking dark Earth or OD......

I have had great luck with Brownell's Gunkote in the aerosol can. As long as you do a good prep you will not have any problems. It doesn't stink up the house when you bake it as long as you let the parts dry outside for a few minutes.

When I plan on coating something this is my process:

Media blast (sanding will work as well)

Heat a solution of 1/2 Simple Green and 1/2 water

Remove from heat as bubbles begin to form, DO NOT allow to boil

Drop parts to be coated in solution for 15 minutes

Heat just water and remove as bubles begin to form

Remove parts from Simple Green solution and put in hot water solution

Soak for another 15 minutes to remove SImple Green solution

Remove parts from water and place in heated oven (Do not wipe down, only blow off if you have a compressor)

Remove parts from the oven one at a time as you coat the part otherwise the last parts will be cooler and can affect the consistency of the finish

After all parts are coated turn temp up to required temp and bake according to instructions

These steps have worked for me 100% of the time and Gunkote is reasonably priced as well as durable. A single aerosol can should be enough to coat a few handguns.

Dolomite

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...