Sccy CPX-1

RobertY

Was looking at a Scyy CPX-1 for the wife for a carry piece. What I want is facts. I have waded through the net researching this gun enough that my head is spinning.

What I want to hear from is owners of this gun. I do not want a rehash of what I have seen. IE stories about my friend of a friend had one and I heard....

Also I do not want to see that they changed their name from Skyy to Sccy trying to be shady. I have to admit that did catch my attention but now know that Skyy Vodka filed a suit against them so they had to change their name. Nothing shady there.

What I want to hear about is the newer model CPX-1 from people that have the newer model.

I already know that the safety if you have large hands can be hit and it accidentally puts the gun in "safe" mode while rapid firing. That can be a huge deadly problem in a fire fight. But my wife and I both have small hands. I can not stress that enough, so I do not think that will be a problem for us.

So please I really want to get to the truth about this gun from Owners.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Ae-35

Knock-off of Kel-Tec's P-11. I know a guy who was trying to sell one, I looked at it. Rougher than the P-11, and that's saying a lot. Look, I know money's tight for everyone these days, why waste it on a cheaply made gun. You can get a quality name brand (Ruger, Smith, etc.) new or used ,for almost the same money. Buy the very best you can afford, after all, you may be betting your's, and or your wife's life ,on it working. JMO:)

Guest tnfireman

I have to agree with the above posts. I looked at a friends just last week because of the many problems him and his brother have been having. I fired around 75 rounds, never made it more than 6 or 7 without some type of problem. I attempted all of the tweaks and fixes I know of. Yes they are the newer models. Buy something else.

No they are not +p rated. But do not know what that means.

Thank You so far. This is what I have wanted was opinions from people that have fired or have owned the newer model which is supposedly better than the old. Supposedly they have gone from plastic to polymer and from pot metal to stainless steel giving it a huge upgrade. The problem that supposedly plagues the new model is the lousy placement and size of the safety allowing it to be triggered easily.

Please keep the opinions coming as long as they are facts.

I OWNED A SCCY CPX-1!!!!! Notice my declaration is in PAST tense.

I purchased the CPX-1 new from a pawn shop.I bought it specifically because it was cheap. I took it home, oiled it lightly, loaded the magazine and started plinking away in the back yard. The gun was snappy, a little more recoil than I was used to, but it is a sub compact 9mm, so snappy, but not so you can't hold it. On the third magazine of WWB FMJ ammo, I fired two shots out of a 10 shot mag and when i pulled the trigger the third time, all I got was *click*. At this point the trigger was free swinging with no resistance whatsoever. Something inside the gun broke after firing 22 rounds. I could turn the gun upside down and give it a little shake and whatever broke would fall back into place and the trigger again had resistance, but if you turned it right side up, you could hear the piece fall back into the handle of the gun.

I emailed SCCY telling the above story and they almost immediately emailed me back with a Fed Ex shipping label and the instruction to send them the gun, they'd fix it free of charge. I asked how long they'd have it and the terse response I got back was along the lines of "as long as we need to". Given the fact that I'd owned the gun a grand total of FOUR hours before it broke, I went back to the pawn shop and long story short, they eventually gave me my money back. I took that money, put another $100 with it and purchased a KelTec PF9.

I'm VERY happy with the KelTec and can recommend it to anyone who is looking for a dependable bargain gun. It ain't pretty and it will make your hand numb when you first shoot it, but it will feed anything and goes BOOM when you pull the stick. Thats something the SCCY wouldn't do.

Guest Moose

I have A SCCY CPX-1, I keep it as a reminder of you really do get what you pay for.

After 4 shots the white dots fell out of the sights, after 50 the slide started to feel rough, on teardown I discovered

the slide was actually pulling the front edge of the alloy frame insert up and the holes that the hammer retaining pin go through

were egg shaped.

I called them, they sent the label, i sent it back, it returned 3 weeks later with new white dots and a slide that felt smooth.

took the slide off and discovered they had filed away the the damaged area of the frame insert, retaining pin holes still

egg shaped.

I called them again and got "this was NORMAL wear" for the answer to my question about the frame insert .

I can't bring myself to sell to someone, just couldn't do it

it's the alloy frame insert that's the problem, quality of materials or poor treatment of it, not the plastic or ss slide and barrel

oh their fix for the safety is drilling the indent deeper so the spring and cap fixes the lever in the fire position at all times.

I really didn't think a DOA pistol needed a safety anyways