Kel Tec P3AT 380 versus Ruger LCP380

I'm sure this topic has been discussed ad nausium in the past, but I wanted to start the discussion again. A while back, I fired a Kel Tec, and I really disliked it. It seemed difficult to hold on to, and recoil felt pretty brisk. It did, however, function as it should and I was surprised to learn that I could actually hit what I was aiming at.

Fast forward to today. I fired a Ruger LCP. Although I haven't had an opportunity to fire them side by side yet, the Ruger seemed to me to be easier to hold on to, and recoil felt far less severe. As it was new, I had one failure to feed about halfway through the first clip. After that, all was well. I also discovered that it was far more accurate than I ever would have dreamed.

My conclusion is that although the two pistols look nearly identical, I much prefer the Ruger. I intend to fire both of them in one session sometime to make sure my memory hasn't obscured the facts. Those of you who have fired both, I'd love to know your opinions.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest super99gm

I just got a LCP last week. I've run around 150 rounds through it so far with no problems. I had a P32 Keltec that was a good gun, but I like the LCP much better so far.

Guest Sgt. Joe
wait till you shoot a p238.........enough said

I will Second that notion, heck just "hold" an LCP and a 238 and one should be able to feel a significant difference just holding them.

The 238 has even less recoil than the LCP. I can not comment on the Kel-Tec as I have never fired one.

If you can Greg throw a P238 in the mix.

i've played with both. i own a p3at.

the life time warranty won me over. comfort wise the lcp is a little better but in this 380 price catagory none of them are exactly made for extended range sessions. of course the p238 is great but that's like saying "why don't you just get a new Mercedes instead of KIA?"

Edited by fastbs
i suck at spelling
wait till you shoot a p238.........enough said

While I don't deny it is a unbelievable gun...it is awesome. It weighs more than my 442 and costs twice what the LCP does.

It is a gun that would be more fun to practice with, but is somewhat in a different category....among the CW9, the Micro Eagle .380 instead. When we are talking 10-12 ounce guns....the extra 8-10 ounces of the p238 is profoundly different....I couldn't go jogging with the p238

That being said....I like the LCP better, but the extended magazine just released for the P3AT is a HUGE win for them and actually makes me kinda prefer it.

Guest Ae-35

Glock world has the IOC knock-off of the LCP, for 239.00, it's kind of a combo of the Kel-Tec and the LCP. IOC has them on their website for 249.00, includes 2 mags. lots of different colors. I haven't heard from anyone who's tried one, also don't know who makes them for IOC. Might be worth look'nat for the cheapest 380. Their website is www.royaltigerimports.com

I had an P3at for about two years. Never really liked it, several FTF , harsh recoil, and I couldnt hit nutten with it. Finally bought a LCP about 3 weeks ago. Absolutely love it! Much better quality for just a few dollars more. Dont know why but recoil and accuracy are much better.

The Ruger looks better and feels tighter. It's a tiny bit taller and wider and an ounce heavier, but you won't notice. At the price range the 20-30% price difference isn't much either. Neither has a last round hold open.

Head-to-head the 3AT is a better shooter at 15 feet in my experience and from most side-by-side reviews I read. The LCP had less perceived recoil, though. The biggest thing for me is that the 3AT has a lifetime warranty and the LCP has NO warranty whatsoever other than the implied warranty under the consumer protection laws of the state.

B/w the slight price difference, the logevity of the 3AT over the LCP, the warranty vs lack thereof, and the accuracy, I'd go with the Kel-Tec. I'm sure some would disagree.

Guest tngw1500se

I have both and the LCP is a the better of the two. Both shoot about the same to me. Fit and finish on the LCP is much better but everyone knows a Kel-tec isn't even going to enter the beauty pageant.

The Ruger looks better and feels tighter. It's a tiny bit taller and wider and an ounce heavier, but you won't notice. At the price range the 20-30% price difference isn't much either. Neither has a last round hold open.

Head-to-head the 3AT is a better shooter at 15 feet in my experience and from most side-by-side reviews I read. The LCP had less perceived recoil, though. The biggest thing for me is that the 3AT has a lifetime warranty and the LCP has NO warranty whatsoever other than the implied warranty under the consumer protection laws of the state.

B/w the slight price difference, the logevity of the 3AT over the LCP, the warranty vs lack thereof, and the accuracy, I'd go with the Kel-Tec. I'm sure some would disagree.

Ruger doesn't have a written warranty, but they're famous for standing behind their products. That would be the least of my concerns.

Guest TnRebel
I will Second that notion, heck just "hold" an LCP and a 238 and one should be able to feel a significant difference just holding them.

The 238 has even less recoil than the LCP. I can not comment on the Kel-Tec as I have never fired one.

If you can Greg throw a P238 in the mix.

Come on over to the house any time and you can shoot mine or the wifes P3AT's :rock:

Guest Major Pain

Just bought my second LCP for the wife. I let her shoot mine last week and she wanted something lighter to carry than a 38 snub. I have about 300 rds through mine with not a single problem and ran 50 through her new one to make sure it was ok with no problems.

I have shot both the p3at and the LCP and not much difference. Maybe a little better fit and finish on the LCP but neither will win a beauty contest.--MP

SIG SAUER, Inc. has initiated a Mandatory Safety Upgrade pertaining to our new Model P238™ pistols. We have determined that a small number of P238 pistols may have safety levers that are not manufactured to factory specifications. Under certain conditions, it may be possible for the lever not to be completely engaged in the safe position. In this condition, the gun will not fire when the trigger is pulled. However, when the safety lever is moved to the off position, the hammer may fall, with the remote possibility that the gun could fire unintentionally

P238 Upgrade

This is the first thing I found when I googled to find out what a p238 was. It is a great example of why I don't like safeties.