Range Report Para Warthog .45ACP

Mykltn

Before I start, I would like to say that this is just the first part of the recommended break in period for the Warthog. It is advised that you first shoot 100 rounds then field strip the pistol and inspect of any abnormal wear and tear. This is to be done three time for a grand total of 300 rounds before putting the firearm into normal service. That being said. Here is the report.

I decided Sunday would be the day to take our the new Para Warthog to the range and finally get her good and dirty. Along with it came my Sig P238 and the Star M40. (I always like to take at least one of my carry guns when I go to the range just to keep up my aim.)

The first few mags through the Warthog where low and to the left. I thought this might be my grip or trigger pull as the gun is very small but has a wide grip for a 1911. After about 60 rounds I noticed the shots climbing back up to the center of the target. A moment of deep concentration and trigger control proved that the sights were dead on as the shot ripped almost perfectly through the cross hairs at the center of the target.

The rest of the 100 round box of .45acp's were shot haphazardly at the target just to fulfill the requirements for step one of the break in process. After proving to myself that the gun was accurate, I just wanted to get on with putting her into service as soon as possible.

Numerous ftf's occurred thought the 100 rounds. This may have been the ammo or just the feed ramp breaking in. Either way, it occurred both when a new mag was started and in the middle of a mag. I am holding judgment on the cause until the end of the breaking.

All in all it was a very fun gun to shoot and when it feed right and held right, it was dead on accurate. Can't wait until the next 100 rounds to see how she handles.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 10mm4me

Congrats on the new gun but I have to stick to my guns in that if a carry gun needs a "break-in", especially one as specified as the one you described, it ain't a good choice as a carry gun

At the risk of dragging along another thread that won't die...

It sounds like you're doing the right thing. It pays to be patient during 1911 break-in, and follow what they advise. Doesn't sound like you're freakin' over the ftf's....that's good. It will come around. By 500 (or so) you should be "clean" and be able to trust it for carry.

I hope the break in works but it didn't on the one I had. Wouldn't eat anything. A clean magazine of any ammo was a rare thing. Sold that one to Uselton's. :D

Great looking guns and an amazing size for the round count. But it seemed it would be a rock at best.

Good luck and hope yours comes in.

traded6.jpg

I traded for one and was at least the third owner. I'm sure it had 500 plus down the pipe. I loved everything about it but, I was the only one that learned to shoot it without it jamming. You had to keep a "death grip" on it for it to function properly. (It would get some horrible 3 point jams that took 5 minutes to clear.) In an emergency situation, I wasn't sure I would be able to have such a grip every time and decided to trade it off.

Great gun once you learn to shoot it. Small 1911 platform that holds 10 rounds, hard to get better than that.

Hold on to it firmly and it'll get better.

Congrats on the new gun but I have to stick to my guns in that if a carry gun needs a "break-in", especially one as specified as the one you described, it ain't a good choice as a carry gun

+1, Too many guns out there that are reliable out of the box for me to bother with guns that require a "break-in". Maybe I'm just impatient.

Numerous ftf's occurred thought the 100 rounds. This may have been the ammo or just the feed ramp breaking in. Either way, it occurred both when a new mag was started and in the middle of a mag. I am holding judgment on the cause until the end of the breaking.

Congrats on your new purchase. Cool gun. I have always wanted to shoot one of those. Just out of curiosity what ammo were you using?

I would like to know how it runs after you shoot it some more. Thanks.

+1, Too many guns out there that are reliable out of the box for me to bother with guns that require a "break-in". Maybe I'm just impatient.

I own two motorcycles. A Honda and a custom built chopper. The Honda starts every time I hit the button without fail for the last 36,000 miles. It has been a very reliable motorcycle since the day I drove it off the show room floor. The Chopper on the other hand gave me nothing but trouble for the first two years after it was build. I replaced starters, batteries, forward controls and a whole host of other parts trying to get to the point where I could trust it to bring me home. This is year three for the Chopper and she has been running perfect. Had I dumped it because it required time and patiance to make her reliable, I would not have the coolest Bobber in Nashville. I would be just another guy riding a Honda and what would be the fun in that. Properly broken in , the warthog will make a very reliable pistol.

2008-0426-20.jpg

Edited by Mykltn
Congrats on your new purchase. Cool gun. I have always wanted to shoot one of those. Just out of curiosity what ammo were you using?

I would like to know how it runs after you shoot it some more. Thanks.

Winchester 240 ball. My springfield had similar issues during it's break in, just not as many. It now shoots anything I feed it same as my RIA.

Guest cheez

Cool looking gun. Hope it runs better for you some day. I had a similar thing happen with my new Kimber Ultra. Not a lot of jams but enough for me to lose confidence that it would go bang everytime I squeezed the trigger with any ammo or any magazine. I know many say that their guns run well after the "break in" but in the back of my mind I would know the gun was capable of jamming for no apparent reason. I traded my Kimber for a couple more Glocks.