The Legislature is back to work in Nashville..

Two bills scheduled to be heard in the Senate Judiciary Committee tomorrow.

SB 1440 CRIMINAL LAW: Increases handgun permit fee

Increases the handgun permit from $115 to $130. Requires $15.00 of the fee be sent to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides for purposes of reimbursing the sheriff for costs associated with performing eligibility checks. (HOUSE: HB 1800, Turner L.; Referred to House Judiciary Criminal Practice Subcommittee.) FISCAL NOTE: Dated: March 22, 2007 Increase state expenditures - $11,000. Increase local govt. revenues - $248,000.

SB 0023 CRIMINAL LAW: Possession of firearm where alcohol is served

Permits a person who has a permit to carry a handgun to carry gun in place where alcohol is served for consumption on premises if person not consuming alcohol or is not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions. (HOUSE: HB 0702, McCord; Referred to House Judiciary Criminal Practice Subcommittee.) FISCAL NOTE: Dated: January 5, 2007 Decrease local govt. revenues - not significant. Decrease local govt. expenditures - not significant.

Committee members are Chair Beavers ®, Vice Chair Jackson (D), Secretary Woodson ®, Black ®, Kyle (D), Marrero (D), Norris ®, Stanley ®, Wilder (D).

The committee phone number is 615-741-7821

Individual members can be looked up here.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest 270win

I don't know of a specific statute that prohibits firearms in state parks, except the having a firearm inhabited by big game. That could be any set of woods and seems to be something that would be used against a poacher. You guys are right that we can presently carry inside a state owned building unless it is posted. Kinda silly that some government employee can throw up a sign to keep me from carrying unless i'm willing to risk a 500 dollar fine.

Guest 270win

Great bill that will be in the senate subcomm tomorrow I might add. I am so glad the bill that is being introduced and heavily touted doesn't have any requirements that the location be a 'restuarant' or sell a certain amount of food.

I don't know of a specific statute that prohibits firearms in state parks, except the having a firearm inhabited by big game. That could be any set of woods and seems to be something that would be used against a poacher. You guys are right that we can presently carry inside a state owned building unless it is posted. Kinda silly that some government employee can throw up a sign to keep me from carrying unless i'm willing to risk a 500 dollar fine.

T.C.A. 39-17-1311 at least according to TN AG No 07-148 (Question 3)

Guest 270win

I don't think the attorney general is looking at where 39-17-1302(a) is referenced as what is prohibited in a park under 39-17-3911 or does not want to acknowledge a whole statute. An opinion is just an opinion that has not been decided by a high court of the state. I would be leery of having an exposed handgun in a park because of the opinion that some police go by for arrests/citations.

I don't think the attorney general is looking at where 39-17-1302(a) is referenced as what is prohibited in a park under 39-17-3911 or does not want to acknowledge a whole statute. An opinion is just an opinion that has not been decided by a high court of the state. I would be leery of having an exposed handgun in a park because of the opinion that some police go by for arrests/citations.

I agree with you in refrence to 39-17-1302(a), that is why I asked my Rep to submit those questions and don't really agree with the opinion as I posted in this thread.

Just another reason I'd like to see a complete overhaul of the firearms laws.

Guest Boomhower
hell I would agree with the first if they pass the second!!!

I can agree with that. They earmark everything else with a bunch of mumbo jumbo that doesn't even belong in a certain bill, so it would seem justifiable.

Still waitin for carry on state property and buildings.

this has been up before(like court houses..etc...)but gets rejected cause of the cost realated to the change,ie..new signs,labor(takes two men,one hour @ $20.00 an hour :cool:)and added officers for the extra guns walking around.

while the "carry in restraunt/alcohol" wont cast anything.

You can watch the committee meeting live at 3:30 pm by checking here

The video link is active a little before the meeting time, but can't remember exactly how soon.

Thanks for the link!

Lets' not let this topic degrade into a yet-another 39-17-1302 thread. We've done it to death. The AG is an idiot. Until we get a sensible non-anti-gun Governor, it ain't gonna change.

Unfortunately as long as anti-gunners are in charge of the House and Governor's mansion, nothing will get done. Get used to it - and elect better people to represent you!

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I would gladly pay the extra $15 if they would also pass SB 0023. Having to disarm everytime I go out to eat is simply ridiculous. The criminals don't do it, but the law abiding citizens do. Of course I am preaching to the choir on this I know. Sorry just had to vent.

How about just letting all of us pack who don't have a felony conviction?

The felons are going to pack anyway, if they choose. They get a bunch of years at our expense to think about it.

At least the rest of us get to have some protection against them.

Guest pws_smokeyjones

I just watched the Judiciary committee hearing on SB 0023, it passed 8 to 1 and is being sent to Calendar (whatever that means). Not sure who voted against it, but I am 99% sure it was Senator Meraro since she is the only one that argued against it.

Guest Medic908

Information on this page is generally current to within an hour.

*SB0023 by *Jackson, *Norris, *Kilby. (HB0702 by *McCord.)

Criminal Offenses - Allows person who has permit to carry a handgun to carry gun in place where alcohol is served for consumption on premises if person is not consuming alcohol or is not otherwise prohibited by posting provisions. - Amends TCA Title 39, Chapter 17, Part 13.

Summary for *SB0023/HB0702

Fiscal Note for SB0023 / HB0702 filed under SB0023

Amendments to SB0023

Fiscal MemosNo Amendments for HB0702

SA0830 -- Amendment 1-0 to SB0023

Senate Votes on SB0023

Bill History Section

abbrev.gifActions Taken on SB0023

Action Date

Actions Taken on HB0702

Action Date

Placed on Sen. Regular Calendar (1) cal. for 01/16/20081/15/2008Assigned to s/c Criminal Practice and Procedure of JUD2/21/2007S. Reset on Cal. for 1/16/2008 1/14/2008P2C, ref. to Judiciary2/12/2007Placed on Sen. Regular Calendar (1) cal. for 01/14/20081/10/2008Intro., P1C.2/8/2007Rec. for pass; ref to S. Cal. Comm.1/8/2008Filed for intro.2/7/2007Placed on S. Jud Comm. cal. for 01/08/20081/7/2008Assigned to Gen. Sub of: S. Jud Comm.5/16/2007Action Def. in S. Jud Comm. to 5/16/20075/15/2007Placed on S. Jud Comm. cal. for 05/15/20075/9/2007Action Def. in S. Jud Comm. to 5/15/20075/9/2007Placed on Jud. comm cal. for 5/9/075/9/2007Action Def. in S. Jud Comm. to 5/9/20075/8/2007Placed on S. Jud Comm. cal. for 05/08/20075/2/2007Action Def. in S. Jud Comm. to 5/8/20075/1/2007Placed on S. Jud Comm. cal. for 05/01/20074/25/2007Ref. to S. Jud Comm.1/20/2007P2C held on desk pending comm. appointments1/10/2007Intro., P1C.1/9/2007Filed for intro.1/3/2007