advice needed for appleseed. 10/22.

vujade

I'd like to attend an appleseed event.

I've got (2) 22 rifles. A bubba-ed 10/22 (butler creek stock, cheap 4x scope, "muzzle brake", sling attached with an O ring, etc.) and a stock + 4x scope Marlin 60.

I'm a tad more accurate with the Marlin 60 but from what I'm reading, removal mags are an advantage. Thus, I'm inclined to take the 10/22 especially since I've already got 4 reliable mags for it. I figure I'll bring the Marlin as a back up?

Questions -

1. should I take out the cheap scope and just use iron sights? (I don't want to upgrade to the tech sights)

2. is the scope so helpful that maybe i need to upgrade it to something more decent? (the current scope is a 4x and it holds zero)

3. all internals of the 10/22 is stock. The gun has been reliable. But i've never done a 500 round straight shooting event either. Should I upgrade any of the parts?

4. will anyone make fun of my bubba-ed 10/22? (i bought it used so i don't have any of the stock parts and in it's own way, it does look kinda cool)

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Broomhead

The 10/22 would be easier to use. However, they do suggest you shoot what is most comfortable to you. I would upgrade, or do a trigger job, on the trigger group to make the pull lighter and smoother. I would also figure out some way to use a USGI web sling, like one for an M1, that is definitely a must have. No one will make fun of your rifle as thy are very safety conscious and no one will be standing around just ogling each others guns. They only times that the rifles are touched are when you are instructed to bring them to the firing line from your car at the start of the day, when you are shooting, and you are instructed to return the rifles to your car at the end of the day. The standard 10/22 iron sights will be very difficult to use for this event. They suggest either upgrading to a peep sight, like the Tech-Sights or Williams Fire-Sights. If you don't want to upgrade the I would suggest using a scope. Any type of scope will work, but they greater the magnification the easier/harder it will be to shoot; higher magnification means it's easier to see the targets but becomes more finicky when it comes to holding steady.

fell free to PM me if you have further questions. Also, I have a take-off 10/22 wood stock that is in a mid-refinishment stage, I am almost done dyeing it black but have yet to apply the topcoat/sealer, if you are interested in it I can make you a deal and sell you the stuff to finish the refinish.

I put one together for an Appleseed in NC in October (figured the comfort level will be higher then). Started with my wife's 10/22, which she had already outfitted with a better trigger and the extended mag release (which I've heard is invaluable at these events). This gun has the international/Mannlicher full length stock, so I was able to Dremel the hardware on a USGI websling to fit the 1" mounting hardware on the gun. Finished it out with a set of the peep Tech-Sights. Now to practice hitting postage stamps at 25 yards...