Thorough cleaning of XD .40 needed, any tips/tricks?

Guest Miracle

Guest Miracle

Been shooting probably about 450 rounds or so through my XD since Ive had it, and I know it needs cleaning, and I am doing that right now. Does Rem Oil double as a cleaner? What else could I use to break down the carbon buildup, or to get into the tight spots. I don't want to take it apart, as I am nowhere NEAR a gunsmith.

Any hints/tricks/tips? I'm a total nubcaEk at cleaning my own handgun, in the military we always just brushed off the outsides, and turned em in. Thanks guys for the help.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been shooting probably about 450 rounds or so through my XD since Ive had it, and I know it needs cleaning, and I am doing that right now. Does Rem Oil double as a cleaner? What else could I use to break down the carbon buildup, or to get into the tight spots. I don't want to take it apart, as I am nowhere NEAR a gunsmith.

Any hints/tricks/tips? I'm a total nubcaEk at cleaning my own handgun, in the military we always just brushed off the outsides, and turned em in. Thanks guys for the help.

Which branch were you in? We could have been bleeding or on fire and the armorers would turn you away the first time you tried to turn in after cleaning just on general purpose that it wasn't possible to clean an M-16 properly.

oh and as far as cleaning an XD. Break it down and use Hoppes', CLP or Kroil after doing a good wipe with plain dry cleaning patches. When you can't get black out of any nook or cranny, then apply the cleaner to the patches and go everywhere again. You'll start to find objects that help you in those special hard to reach places. I have an old turkey call striker that helps push patches in the slide, some gun cleaning Q-tips, long swabs that can reach on in there. Everywhere you can see on the XD you need to clean. When you feel comfortable, you can find a small dowel or other thin diameter tool and push the striker channel in and remove the back plate and clean the striker channel and firing pin.

Rem oil can be used in a pinch but won't deep clean like a solvent. Kroil does good everywhere!!

No Need to do a detail cleaning with 450 rounds. Just field strip it do to the barrell,slide and frame is all you need to do and clean with any good cleaning solvent.

I'd question the need for even that level of cleaning. Is it malfunctioning? Accuracy degrading? If not, wipe off the residue and continue.

If it is having problems, do the above. Hoppes and CLP should be available at any gun shop. Maybe even walmart. Youtube is a good source. Wear safety glasses if using compressed air or aerosols.

Guest 10mm4me

Save yourself some time, get the synthetics safe gun degreaser and spray every nook and cranny. Then, lubricate the slide, barrel, and rails.

Guest GT_Rat

I hit the barrell, slide, and trigger mechanism with CLP (in the aerosol can). Run a brush down the barrel and then a few patches. Wipe down the slide real well until the patches come away pretty clean. I usually blast the trigger mechanism with CLP til the excess comes away mostly clear. Wipe it all down with a clean patch or 3, a drop or two of oil on the trigger mechanism and contact points between the slide, frame, and barrel. Reassemble and function check.

Guest Miracle
Miracle,

Are you still coming down to the shoot this weekend? If so, we can get together and I can run you through cleaning the XD. I've had a few and know my way around them pretty well.

I for sure still plan on coming. Don't see a reason why I won't unless the wife changes her mind. hahaha.

I'd question the need for even that level of cleaning. Is it malfunctioning? Accuracy degrading? If not, wipe off the residue and continue.

It's not having ANY issues, and I lvoe the gun. I just was always brought up to really take care of what you have. And this is just that showing up in me again. I've always cleaned my brothers, father in laws, and some friends firearms immediately after use. Just the way I am I guess.

Here's what I did: Cleaned the best I could by removing carbon deposits on the slide rails, forcing cone, barrel, and sear, firing pin assembly.

Put a VERY SLIGHT coat of Rem Oil lube on the slide rails, a dab on the top of the barrel (the squared off part of the chamber that shows through the slide), and dropped one drop of oil down onto the magazine release tang. It's been sticky for me for some reason, so I figured it couldn't hurt.

It's not having ANY issues, and I lvoe the gun. I just was always brought up to really take care of what you have. And this is just that showing up in me again. I've always cleaned my brothers, father in laws, and some friends firearms immediately after use. Just the way I am I guess.

Here's what I did: Cleaned the best I could by removing carbon deposits on the slide rails, forcing cone, barrel, and sear, firing pin assembly.

Put a VERY SLIGHT coat of Rem Oil lube on the slide rails, a dab on the top of the barrel (the squared off part of the chamber that shows through the slide), and dropped one drop of oil down onto the magazine release tang. It's been sticky for me for some reason, so I figured it couldn't hurt.

I like to take care of my stuff too and I'm sure it was pretty dirty after 450 rds. I've also seen plenty of guns prematurely worn out and/or broken by compulsive disassembly, cleaning, and reassembly. Sounds like you got it cleaned up.

Guest motonut

Amazing how many different trains of thought there are on cleaning a handgun. I bet if we got 5 people together we could come up with 7 ideas on the subject.

Didn't some people used to clean their Glocks and other tupperware guns in the top rack of the dishwasher when they first came out ? Just kidding . I clean my XD about every 500 rds or so I'm going on 1500 rds since my last cleaning not one hiccup yet(trying to see if it will) . Other than a lil carbon build up around the feed ramp it dosent look bad. XD's are very durable guns just do a field strip and clean the barrel and slide like everyone suggested . If and when I ever wear the barrel out I may detail strip it and do some inspection of the rest of the parts and repair/replace any excessive worn parts . I've put around 3000 flawless rnds thru it so far so it will be a while .

Guest Supergo

Cleaning a gun is one of my Zen Moments in life, I know they dont need it that much but it feels and smells so good when its done. Basic cleaning after every use is just run a brush through the barrel and wipe everything down with a CLP. Its an XD thats all they need.

Guest Miracle
Cleaning a gun is one of my Zen Moments in life, I know they dont need it that much but it feels and smells so good when its done. Basic cleaning after every use is just run a brush through the barrel and wipe everything down with a CLP. Its an XD thats all they need.

And that's all I have ever done is just a basic field strip, brush off, get al the carbon off, and run Hoppe's number 9 and a few patches through it, and call it good.

I am in no way confident enough to do a complete strip down and cleaning... not that it needs it though. lol