Buying a handgun

Guest 65stang

Guest 65stang

Does anyone know the legality of someone from Illinois purchasing a hand gun in the state of TN? I did buy some ammo the other day with nothing more than a drivers license, but I was wondering if buying a handgun would be any different. I know Disney has bought guns with an IL Drivers license but he also has a in state residence. Any thoughts?

Kyle

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
Does anyone know the legality of someone from Illinois purchasing a hand gun in the state of TN? I did buy some ammo the other day with nothing more than a drivers license, but I was wondering if buying a handgun would be any different. I know Disney has bought guns with an IL Drivers license but he also has a in state residence. Any thoughts?

Kyle

I believe you have to be a resident of the state in order to purchase a handgun in said state.

Guest JRules

I moved from IL, and had same problem.

You need to get a TN drivers license. Possibly 90 days of utility bills, might count also, but I just got my TN drivers license its quick cheap and easy.

Guest bkelm18
What kind of proof do you think that they would need?

A TN driver's license with your address on it. However, I just re-read the rules and I believe you may buy a handgun in another state, however it must be transferred to a dealer in your own state before you can actually take it home.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b3

(B3) May an unlicensed person obtain a firearm from an out-of-State source if the person arranges to obtain the firearm through a licensed dealer in the purchaser’s own State?

A person not licensed under the GCA and not prohibited from acquiring firearms may purchase a firearm from an out-of-State source and obtain the firearm if an arrangement is made with a licensed dealer in the purchaser's State of residence for the purchaser to obtain the firearm from the dealer.

[18 U.S.C. 922(a)(3) and 922(:D(3)]

A TN driver's license with your address on it. However, I just re-read the rules and I believe you may buy a handgun in another state, however it must be transferred to a dealer in your own state before you can actually take it home.

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/faq/faq2.htm#b3

thats right(far as i know)but wheres that thread on Chicago residents buy guns from out of city,its illegal in chicago for residents to own guns or something???:cool:

Guest bkelm18
thats right(far as i know)but wheres that thread on Chicago residents buy guns from out of city,its illegal in chicago for residents to own guns or something???:cool:

Well yes you still have to abide by your local laws, but unless 65stang lives in a handgun banned zone, then he can still buy one and have it transferred back home.