Help deciding on first semi?

Guest MoonMan

Guest MoonMan

I've been reading allot about the guns I've narrowed my choices down too. I've only shot the glock 23 out of the ones I'm thinking about which I do like. However I've been very fond of the Kahr CW45 and have heard some great things about the ruger sr9c. This will be my ecg, however I've not had any experience with the last two guns. I've held all the guns in my hands, and they fit great, its just a matter of picking what would hopefully be the best one for iwb everyday carry and to practice with. No-one I can find rents the last 2 guns so I can't actually rent them to try them out. Any input to help me would be great. Just as a background I currently shoot a s&w 37 model snub nose revolver which I can handle pretty well and shoot accurately and my semi shooting has been limited. Thanks in advance

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest FiddleDog

the Kahr has a pretty long trigger pull, but having a background with revolvers, you shouldn't have an issue with that. Great fit and finish. Really tight gun, though. You'll want to break her in, good.

I personally would go with the Kahr CW45. I am not a fan of plastic guns,(nothing against them, just don't like the way they feel in my hand.) so of your choices for everyday carry gun, I would go for the one that shoots the biggest bullet. 9MM's are good, .40 S&W is better, but a .45ACP is what I would want when god forbid, the time comes to pull and use you CCW. I also really like the fit and finish of the Kahr. A buddy has one and it is very accurate as self defense distance and is small enough to carry in just about any mode of dress. My next choice would be the Glock just because its a .40.

Good luck with whichever toy you decide on and have fun.

Guest Boogieman

You're looking at 3 different calibers, the .40 with the G23, the .45 with the Kahr and the 9mm with the SR9c. For practicing the 9mm will be cheaper. You'll be able to afford to shoot more which would make you more proficient with your handgun. The SR9c is going to come in at the lowest price point, then the G23, then the Kahr. All 3 are quality firearms. It might help if you decide on a caliber first. If you prefer the .40 then the SR9c is out of the running but Glock and Kahr make a .40. If you decide on the 9mm then you have the SR9c and both Glock and Kahr make 9mm options similar to the guns you listed. If you are set on .45 you have the Kahr and Glock also makes a .45 the same as the G23. I havent shot any of these so I am of no help in that department. I hope my little breakdown helps in some way though. Good luck.

Guest 10mm4me

I would go w/one not on your list, the G19 9mm. It is easily the most popular EDC gun in the world and it is so for a reason. I carried one for a long time and loved it. I recently got a new Sig so I am playing w/that right now, but I always go back to the G19.

Guest buttonhook
its just a matter of picking what would hopefully be the best one for iwb everyday carry and to practice with.

walther PPS in either 9mm or .40

I would go w/one not on your list, the G19 9mm. It is easily the most popular EDC gun in the world and it is so for a reason. I carried one for a long time and loved it. I recently got a new Sig so I am playing w/that right now, but I always go back to the G19.

+1; I've bought 5 handguns in the last year but I keep going back to the G19.

+1 on the G19...or a G26(you can use G19 mags with extensions). My main reason is utter reliability but there are other good reasons including accessories, cheaper practice ammo, durability. With ammo such as Winchesters Ranger +P+ 127 grain load, it is more than sufficient in power also, even compared with the 40 and 45. The long trigger pull on the Kahr is not as big a problem as the long trigger reset. Whenever I try to shoot one quickly I have a hard time letting the trigger return all the way forward. The Ruger I have no experience with.