A/C Light Blinking.... WHY?!?!

Guest Glock23ForMe

Guest Glock23ForMe

Hey guys,

I have a 2007 Mitsubishi Eclipse and my air conditioner is being gay, yet again. Everytime I turn on the A/C either immediately or soon thereafter, it does this:

I can cycle it and the blinking goes away, but the air never gets cold. I checked my Freon level yesterday and it was good and in the green and I checked my coolant level and it was good also, other than that... I have no idea. I am going on a trip on Saturday and A/C would be very helpful, and I just noticed this the other day. If you have any idea what's causing this or where I can get it fixed, please let me know. Thanks a ton.

Drew.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Admin Team

On the Eclipse, that means the compressor isn't engaging. You are likely low on 134a even though your guage showed "green" . To check it with a gauge, the compressor needs to be running, and have been running for a bit. If the system is low, then the compressor will either short cycle (you should be able to hear it from outside the car) or isn't coming on at all.

If the compressor is engaging at all, you can try to add 134a yourself, otherwise, you are going to need to take it somewhere and have it evacuated and refilled.

Sorry. I know it sucks to deal with this.

Guest Glock23ForMe

If the compressor is engaging at all, you can try to add 134a yourself, otherwise, you are going to need to take it somewhere and have it evacuated and refilled.

What will that set me back in the $$$ department?

• Admin Team

If the compressor is engaging and will draw coolant in under its own power via the low pressure port - about $13 at Autozone. If you need to have it evacuated and refilled - assuming nothing else is wrong (no leaks) ~$150. From personal experience, I'll say that if you aren't really sure what you're doing, you can screw it up really fast. Then, it's a bunch of money to fix.

Guest Glock23ForMe
Does the compressor kick on at all? Either you can hear the clutch engage outside the car, or notice a RPM jump when you hit the AC switch?

When I cycle it, the compressor does come on... I can hear it.

Guest Glock23ForMe

I was reading around... could this mean that the freon level is too high? If so, how do I release some of the pressure?

How does a A/C unit act gay? Is it coupling off with other A/C units of its own kind? If an A/C unit is not gay is it a D/C unit?

It is not acting anything, It is a car and it sounds like it needs mechanical attention.

I was reading around... could this mean that the freon level is too high? If so, how do I release some of the pressure?

I doubt that it's too high. Personally I would have the whole A/C unit replaced. I'm not neccessarily saying I'm completely against the lifestyle for other people, but I just don't like anything or anyone being gay around me and especially in my car.

Seriously though X2 on what MacGyver said. If you know what you're doing go with the Autozone route first and do it yourself since your compressor is kicking on. If it cools for a wile and then goes back to doing this again you most likely have a leak somewhere.

Some systems have both a high and low pressure switch. The freon is also the lubricant for the compressor, so the low pressure switch is there to (help) prevent you from burning up the compressor. The high pressure switch (if equipped) is also there to prevent burning up the compressor from it working too hard.

You can vent some freon by using the port where you add it. It's typically just like a tire valve, only bigger.

One possibility is that the expansion valve (buried in the dash) is stuck closed and not allowing the freon to circulate in the system. I think that could cause the pressure to appear too high in the lines under the hood. I know how A/C systems work, but I'm no expert on your particular system.

A/C problems are hard to diagnose without the proper equipment. A/C shops know this and the prices reflect that, unfortunately.

If the compressor is engaging and will draw coolant in under its own power via the low pressure port - about $13 at Autozone. If you need to have it evacuated and refilled - assuming nothing else is wrong (no leaks) ~$150. From personal experience, I'll say that if you aren't really sure what you're doing, you can screw it up really fast. Then, it's a bunch of money to fix.

If it's low in freon, it has a leak(the missing freon had to go somewhere).

Check the high and low side ports for leaks and replace those caps.

Adding freon isn't hard, assuming that's what's wrong here, just be absolutely sure the freon you get from Advance is pure. Do not get the stuff with oil or stop leak!

For one, it's illegal to release freon.

for two, it can only be too high if someone put too much in it.

Guest Glock23ForMe

For one, it's illegal to release freon.

for two, it can only be too high if someone put too much in it.

One... What will the freon police do?

Two... I might have, because it's been really hot....

Guest Glock23ForMe

So, I just checked the pressure and it IS a little high.. It was low, and then I went to AutoZone a few days ago and put some in it and it was getting cold until the light started blinking.... Now, with it being high (and the Freon police on their way) I dont know what to do.

• Admin Team

You're in dangerous waters here. A little presumed knowledge about AC is enough to really screw something up if you're not careful. Should you proceed on your own, be careful.

You know, a funny thing about the Freon Police. If a tech comes to my house to service my system and lets refrigerant out into the atmosphere it's a crime. However, I just bought an gas powered airsoft rifle. One just like got confiscated up in Tacoma last year. You fill up the mag with "green gas" - bought here at Nashville Airsoft, load up 30 BB's and off you go to have all kinds of fun. I did a little bit of asking around. You know what green gas is? R-134a with a little silicone oil mixed in. Strange times we live in.

Guest Glock23ForMe
You're in dangerous waters here. A little presumed knowledge about AC is enough to really screw something up if you're not careful. Should you proceed on your own, be careful.

You know, a funny thing about the Freon Police. If a tech comes to my house to service my system and lets refrigerant out into the atmosphere it's a crime. However, I just bought an gas powered airsoft rifle. One just like got confiscated up in Tacoma last year. You fill up the mag with "green gas" - bought here at Nashville Airsoft, load up 30 BB's and off you go to have all kinds of fun. I did a little bit of asking around. You know what green gas is? R-134a with a little silicone oil mixed in. Strange times we live in.

If I was going to release some of the high pressure, all I would have to do it push that little valve thing inside of the low side? That's about all I'm comfortable with.

You're fine till the black choppers start circling. Then it's game over, man! Game over!

Pretty much. But the fine for getting caught is enough for me to advise not to do it.

$32,000 IIRC for a shop getting caught. Can't remember if the fine is the same for individuals or not.

Yup. It's also in a lot of everyday things like the cans of compressed air for keyboards.

If you turn one of the cans upside down you can freeze things instantly. Very fun to play with :up:

• Admin Team
Yup. It's also in a lot of everyday things like the cans of compressed air for keyboards.

If you turn one of the cans upside down you can freeze things instantly. Very fun to play with :(

In my line of work, we refer to those cans of air as "the spare key".

Guest 6.8 AR

You also might check on the radiator cooling fans. If

they aren't cycling right, you can have the same symptoms. Also, screw the freon ******s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest Glock23ForMe

Come to find out, thanks to Terry, again, I was LOW on freon.. My A/C unit has a leak, but the good news is.. It is still under Warranty through Mitsubishi and I can have it fixed. So, whenever I get back from my weekend trip.. I'm heading to the dealer with it.

Guest Sgt. Joe

I am happy that you have resolved this issue. I was becoming concerned reading this thread with all the talk of Freon Police and Black Choppers, but most of all about the idea of someone in our group having to drive around without AC in this heat.

A good thing that it is under warranty too, any service work anymore is pretty expensive.

Edited by Sgt. Joe
Guest Glock23ForMe

Thanks Sgt... Yeah... TGO is awesome and it has some really good people that know their stuff.

It has been pretty warm without AC... A 15 min drive and I'm pretty much drenched in sweat, but it's all good now. Thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it.

The refrigerant that is a big no-no to release into the atmospere is R-12. It hasn't been used in cars for 20-25 years. R-134 is supposed to be enviromentally friendly or at least more so than R-12 which does deplete the ozone. There are regulations concerning the release of R-134 but I believe the fines are no where near as high as for releasing R-12.

R-12 pricing is was well over $600 for a tank the size of a propane grill tank while R-134 is relatively cheap.

On to your car, if you are unsure about what you are doing take it to someone who knows and have them check it out. It shouldn't cost much for someone to diagnose the problem. If you try to correct a problem without knowing exactly what it is and do more damage it will be way more to repair the damage. So far I have heard too much refrigerant and too little, kind of 50/50 chance. Get the wrong one and you could ruin the compressor. If it is low on refrigerant then adding some can be done at home but if it is anything more serious you could actually do more harm by trying to fix it yourself.

Dolomite