Handgun carry class tomorrow, any tips?

Guest Miracle

Guest Miracle

I am going through a company called Maxxguard out of Jackson. And since I have never taken a course like this, outside of the military. Is this an actual, "This is a gun, this is how you shoot it" class, or is it more of a legalistic type, letting you know the law, etc?

And after you apply for the permit, can you start carrying at the same time, or do you have to actually have to wait for the 90 days until it comes in the mail?

Sorry for the nubcake questions, just been a little curious.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest uofmeet

yeah, this is a gun and how you use it and some of the legal stuff....at least thats how it was were i went. Also, you can't carry till ya get the permit in hand.

Guest jackdm3

It'll be a little of both. As for the wait, we see lots here that say the wait has been more like 3 to 5 weeks. Learn how to travel with gun and ammo separated so you can use it on private property/your destination, if it's allowed.

The most difficult part, IMO, is staying awake and paying attention during the videos. As for the wait, times definitely seem to be getting shorter. I got mine two years ago and it took nearly two months to come to me in the mail. Apparently, wait times got even longer shortly after I got mine. My mom got hers earlier this year and it took about a month to five weeks from the time she was fingerprinted to arrive in the mail. My wife applied for hers back in May and it arrived in the mail one day short of three weeks (two weeks and six days) after she was fingerprinted.

i agree with JAB. relax and don't believe everything you hear. the q&a part at the end of my class was hilarious, especially one part where a guy had a whole string of questions about how someone would trace a gun back to him if he "lost" it.

my wife shot 50 out of 50 on the range part and she'd only been shooting 4-5 times in her life.

Just don't shoot the instructor and you shoud be fine.

I haven't had their class, but have heard good things about the onwer of Maxxguard

I can't believe ex military have to take this course. Enjoy learning things you already know.

They don't if they have had at least 4 hours of handgun training by the military within the last 5 years 39-17-1351(e)(4)

Guest Bluemax

Instructors are inclined to look favorably upon someone if they let out a blood curdling scream after each set of six shots, it shows you are passionate about your class :(

Guest Miracle

That was actually a pretty informative class, for the things I actually didn't know. Stuff like state specific laws and liabilities were pretty interesting. Don't know if I should say this, but I actually kinda enjoyed it. If anybody in this area (Memphis, Jackson, Savannah, Northern Miss. and northern AL) need the permit course, I highly suggest these guys. The instructor was cool as hell, and let us shoot as much as we wanted after we finished qualifying.

Maxxguard :: Handgun Permit Training

Guest 1shot

It is a piece of cake. The only problem i have with the class, I help teach them, is the VERY POOR video. It is as if they decided about two minutes before they made the thing to do it. The lawyer guys seem to be doing things off the cuff. I just love the Glock 357 magnum ??? the "EXPERT" points out. Many things they say are the law are not the law anymore. They really need to make another video and make it professional. One thing that is not pointed out in the video is you must do your own checking of where you can and can not carry your weapon. You must check each state to see if you can carry in them and what their laws are. I know a fellow that is in Washington DC before a Federal Judge this week all because he did not no that he could not go into DC with a fire arm. He came upon a road block over the 4th July weekend and was ask if he had a weapon in his car. He said that he had a carry permit and yes his gun was in the glove box. They jerked him out of the car and arrested him on the spot and he spent 3 days in a Federal jail. He had Phil Roe and a lawyer from the NRA when he went before the judge. They all including the judge wanted the officer to drop the charges and he would not. The judge released him on his own recognizance until 7/26 to reappear before the court. I have not heard what happened yet. So find out the law for yourself.

My instructor said. "By law I have to show you these two videos. (he held them up) Here they are, you've seen them. If anyone asks if I showed them to you say YES." Then he put the videos back in the box. This guy was a retired cop. I knew him when he was a narc back in the 80s. He had long hair and a beard then. He was the best instructor I've ever heard of. Knowbody got sleepy. He did live demostrations of the 21 feet rule, told stories about real life shootings and instructed us on how to recognise gangs and how they work when they are trying to ambush you or jack yo ride. He also went over the legal stuff. The man should write a book.

Edited by Will Carry
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest Miracle

It's official... Total turnaround time for the DoS: 2 weeks, 3 days.

I have my permit in hand, and I applied for it on the 20th of July. Pretty sweet.

Anybody have suggestions for an IWB holster, and ideas for a decent way to conceal, without printing? Good sites/blogs/ideas?

It's official... Total turnaround time for the DoS: 2 weeks, 3 days.

I have my permit in hand, and I applied for it on the 20th of July. Pretty sweet.

Anybody have suggestions for an IWB holster, and ideas for a decent way to conceal, without printing? Good sites/blogs/ideas?

you applied 1 day ahead of me, assuming we are going by the last step of finger painting :D for the state. I did my printing on the 21st. Maybe mine still be in the mail today

Incase you lost your wally walk directions

WallyWorldMap.gif

My wallyworld does not have a Nacho stand so I have to sub in by Beer instead.