kesava

I bought a commander RIA because

1. I can shoot better with one -

a- maybe its the grip

b- maybe its the trigger

c- maybe its the even weight

But I just do

2. I can conceal it really well.

3. 8 accurate .45's in a compact body - I can also conceal an extra clip when I need to

4. I got some really cool punisher grips

5. My Great Grandaddy, Grandaddy and Daddy carried one in WW1, WW2, and Vietnam and my best friend in Enduring Freedom..

Now, there has been a lot of talk about the inherent malfunctioning and spotty reliability of 1911's. I don't want to start a 1911 vs. thread. But, since I havent had a single issue with my 1911, why not buy a full size 1911 for HD or SD?

Edited by kesava
  • Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You must! It is important that you possess said full size weapon. Actually a full size 1911 is a great gun. I have a SA GI and it shoots great. Only have two ftf's when first purchased and has run great since. I also have a compact RIA that I love too.

Guest JHatmaker

I carry a commander length 1911 and wouldn't hesitate to carry a full size (or compact for that matter). I think it really comes down to manufacturer and ammunition. I've owned several Kimbers and never had a single issue with any of them. Same with a Nighthawk I owned...rock solid reliability.

With any weapon you're going to get reports of malfunctions and reliability issues. The 1911's history and popularity in the military and competition arena is an obvious testimate to it's reliability and accuracy.

So....definitely buy another one.

Well just to be contrary about this. When I fired a 45 recently after 30 some years I decided the full sized is best but then I picked up a Crimson Ultra carry which is probably a must have for those times. My carry contraption cried out for a larger weapon and I broke down and consoled it by getting a Kimber Pro CDP II. My answer would be not to stop at a full size but get a compact as well. For me the full size shoots best then mid and the compact being for close work is better than a G27 or a LCP. At least I can shoot them better and for me that is what counts. Now for HD I want a tactical model with the rail for a light laser combo.

Like the old commercial said: Bet you can not eat just one!

I am afraid to let wife shoot them because every weapon she has shot recently she wanted.

There a nothing like a full size all steel 1911 .45ACP. However I want my next 1911 to have a rail, and night sights. Nothing wrong with a plain Jane model, but didn't quite satisfy my appetite... However I did enjoy it for about 500 rounds, and countless hours of dry firing and "fondlng".

Guest Billetproof

Because it is one of the best designed handguns ever, going on a 100 years of John Browning perfection! I own 3, a Colt Delta Elite, Para Warthog, & a Para Tac-S LDA and love them all!!

I love my Para LDA. I have plans to round out my 1911 collection by picking up a Taurus PT1911 in .38 super, and that GSG 1911 in .22 lr. Oh, and I've got your Punisher grips beat, my Para is in Knoxville right now getting a pair of grips customized to fit it. They're hardwood grips with mother of pearl inlay of the Decepticon logo. The instant I get that handgun back it's name is Megatron.

Because there are 4 sizes, 5 frame types, and a dozen or so makers. You need to have a couple examples.

Quoted for truth.....

I think everyone should, if possible, have a full size .45 for home defense. It may be a little heavy but plausable one stop shots are what I'm looking for inside my home. If a shot has to be fired, i want it to be the only one needed if possible.....having a .45 helps out in the equasion.

I'm on my 3rd RIA, a full size tactical and it's the best shooter I own. Every time me and my buddies go the the range we pass around my RIA and all of us shoot it better than anything else. One of my 1st gun was the RIA commander sized and I sold it and now wish I hadn't, I'm trying to learn from my mistakes!!!! COOP

DSCN0844.jpg

Guest italia
... Now, there has been a lot of talk about the inherent malfunctioning and spotty reliability of 1911's...

There has been? I've always thought that the general consensus was that 1911's were MORE reliable ... at least the 5" models. Guess I've been drinking too much of the water on the 1911 forums. :up:

Guest Billetproof
There has been? I've always thought that the general consensus was that 1911's were MORE reliable ... at least the 5" models. Guess I've been drinking too much of the water on the 1911 forums. :up:

Naw, it's just the other people reading too much on Glocktalk. There's a reason 1911's have been around 100 years!!

Guest 6.8 AR

My next one will be either be a RIA hi cap, or a kit. I'm

itchin to build one. My SA hi cap is fine and it fits my hand well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest 10mm4me

I got a Kimber TLE II a while back and I love it. It shoots great and has been 100% reliable. Here it is w/another favorite. My 8" Randall 1 APFK

GP2.jpg

I bought a commander RIA because

1. I can shoot better with one -

a- maybe its the grip

b- maybe its the trigger

c- maybe its the even weight

But I just do

2. I can conceal it really well.

3. 8 accurate .45's in a compact body - I can also conceal an extra clip when I need to

4. I got some really cool punisher grips

5. My Great Grandaddy, Grandaddy and Daddy carried one in WW1, WW2, and Vietnam and my best friend in Enduring Freedom..

Now, there has been a lot of talk about the inherent malfunctioning and spotty reliability of 1911's. I don't want to start a 1911 vs. thread. But, since I havent had a single issue with my 1911, why not buy a full size 1911 for HD or SD?

All I can say is the only reason to get it is YOU ARE A MAN!!!!! now be one