Obama endorses Cohen, Herenton throws a fit.

Guest Tygarys

Guest Tygarys

For all the Memphis guys:

Herenton is not happy!

FOXNews.com - Black House Candidate Miffed Obama Endorsed White Incumbent Over Him

Black House Candidate Miffed Obama Endorsed White Incumbent Over Him

Published July 14, 2010

| Associated Press

MEMPHIS, Tenn. – U.S. Rep. Steve Cohen, a white incumbent who represents a majority black district in Memphis, landed the endorsement of President Barack Obama on Tuesday — and harsh criticism from his black opponent in the primary.

Opponent Willie Herenton called the endorsement a desperate political move by Cohen and said Obama doesn't know the voters in the district.

Obama issued a statement backing Cohen for a third term in the House, calling him a proven leader. Cohen and Herenton, who served 18 years as Memphis' first elected black mayor, face off in the Aug. 5 Democratic primary.

"Together, we passed historic health care reform and together we're continuing the fight to renew our economy and bring jobs back to the American people," Obama said. "I am proud to stand with Steve and support his re-election to Congress."

Herenton said Cohen, who is white, is concerned he'll lose the black vote and pushed the Obama staff for an endorsement. He said Obama is disconnected from the district, which roughly follows the city borders, and slipping in popularity.

"Mr. Obama's got to look hard and long to even know where Memphis, Tenn., is, OK?" Herenton said at a news conference.

"I'm going to always be respectful to the president," Herenton added. "He doesn't understand the aspirations of people in this community. He made a political decision."

Herenton, who badly trails Cohen in fundraising, has drawn attention by making race an issue throughout his campaign, arguing with his "Just One" slogan that Tennessee needs an African-American congressman. All nine House members and the two U.S. senators are white.

Cohen has used Obama's election to support his argument that race should no longer be a major factor for voters.

"I was inspired by President John F. Kennedy to enter into politics to make a difference in my community and my country," Cohen said. "Like President Kennedy, President Barack Obama inspires a new generation to do the same."

Herenton said he admires and supports the president but found it unusual that Obama would intervene in a congressional primary.

"Did I want my president to get involved in this? Of course not," Herenton said.

Memphis voters, not the "Was

hington establishment," will decide who represents them in the House, the ex-mayor said.

Herenton saved his harshest comments for Cohen, calling him phony and weak. On the campaign trail, Cohen has been "trying to act black, trying to bring back the plantation days," Herenton said.

"As much as I admire the Obama administration, they have not moved this nation forward," Herenton said. "With all respects to our former president, I think whomever followed President Bush had an uphill struggle. Any president would have had some real tall mountains to climb."

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest KimberChick

"He doesn't understand the aspirations of people in this community..."

Oh...OHHHHH...yeah, that's typical Herenton right there. Being fair, District 9 covers almost the entire city. However, Memphians know exactly what he meant by this statement. He'll pander hard to the "disinfranchised" majority in D9 and completely snub the tax-paying, working, responsible minority.

A sick, sadistic part of me hopes Herenton wins though.:D

This made me think of something. Maybe only tax payers should be allowed to vote. That would take care of a few problems.

Essentially that's what the founding fathers thought as well. I agree, however you would have to define tax. Property? Income, which is illegal to begin with, sales?

Now that I moved, I need to change my voting info. I am fixing to go look up who my rep is now.

Found out my info

I am now in Marsha territority! So all you folks in the 9th district must show up and vote to be sure and keep King Willie out.

Edited by memphismason
Guest grimel
Have I been gone so long that I've forgotten Herenton was such a racist idiot?

Every time I hear anything he says I'm amazed to find out I've under estimated his level of idiocy.

A sick, sadistic part of me hopes Herenton wins though.:taunt:

I understand what you mean. I never thought I'd see two people I despise so much run against each other. I'm so torn - I wanna see both of them fail miserably.

Guest uofmeet

Yeah, so far everyone Ocrap has endorsed has lost.....so maybe willie will win primary, and bergmann will win district, but i am in marsha territory also.