Cordova Shooting Case Trial Underway

For those of you interested in this case, the shooting case that occurred in Cordova back in February of last year is underway. This will be an interesting case, but not sure it will shed much light on when (or when not) to use deadly force. It seems to be a classic case of "he said, she said." Nevertheless, the defendant has two VERY high-powered defense attorneys, Leslie Ballin and Steve Farese. These are the same two attorneys who defended Mary Winkler in the shooting death of her husband (a Church of Christ minister) in my hometown of Selmer.

If these two attorneys can't get a good verdict, I have to believe that the shooter was not justified. You can follow the trial at the Commercial Appeal's website (not withstanding the paper's anti-gun stances :D).

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Revelator

I don't think it was justified period, but they may still get a good verdict. You just never know what 12 ordinary folks are going to do. But both eyewitness testimony and the medical exam show that the victim was at least 4-5 feet away from the accused when the shot was fired. We know the victim wasn't armed. Other than acting like a bufoon, he wasn't really doing anything wrong. To say that he put the accused in fear for his life (or his wife's) is very hard to believe.

Speaking of the wife, there's a real classy broad. One of the police today testified that when he got to the scene he overheard her yell (about the victim) "I hope he dies." Who says that kind of thing? When the police got there they all had their guns drawn, and one had his AR-15 out. Makes you realize, once again, what a dangerous gig it can be being a cop.

The defendant is certainly trying to pull a Mary Winkler here. But he won't elicit nearly as much sympathy. As to the victim, I just feel bad. He spent the last few minutes of his life drunk, belligerent, acting like a complete ass in front of his kids, then he bled out while urinating on himself. What a way to go.

I've been too busy to go watch any of the trial, plus I'm sure the courtroom is packed. But I've got a couple things set Friday in that courtroom so I may try to catch whatever's left.

I don't think it was justified period, but they may still get a good verdict. You just never know what 12 ordinary folks are going to do. But both eyewitness testimony and the medical exam show that the victim was at least 4-5 feet away from the accused when the shot was fired. We know the victim wasn't armed. Other than acting like a bufoon, he wasn't really doing anything wrong. To say that he put the accused in fear for his life (or his wife's) is very hard to believe.

Speaking of the wife, there's a real classy broad. One of the police today testified that when he got to the scene he overheard her yell (about the victim) "I hope he dies." Who says that kind of thing? When the police got there they all had their guns drawn, and one had his AR-15 out. Makes you realize, once again, what a dangerous gig it can be being a cop.

The defendant is certainly trying to pull a Mary Winkler here. But he won't elicit nearly as much sympathy. As to the victim, I just feel bad. He spent the last few minutes of his life drunk, belligerent, acting like a complete ass in front of his kids, then he bled out while urinating on himself. What a way to go.

I've been too busy to go watch any of the trial, plus I'm sure the courtroom is packed. But I've got a couple things set Friday in that courtroom so I may try to catch whatever's left.

From what I've read, I would have to agree with you. Very little chance that the shooting was a good, self-defense shoot. It would be interesting to sit in on the trial. I watched a good bit of the Winkler trial (I knew at least half of the witnesses) and it was certainly entertaining (hate saying that about a murder trial).

Guest jackdm3

I only know what everyone else has read, and I won't "indict" him yet, but on the surface he appeared to be a hot head pressured into action by a bully of a wife.

I've followed the case since it happened, especially since I was still working in a training range at the time. I have a hard time believing this was a justifiable case of self-defense. I don't think anyone was truly an "innocent" victim here, because alot of actions led up to that trigger being pulled, but I don't think Mr. Coleman was in true fear for his life.

That being said I doubt he is going to see a 2nd degree murder conviction. Apparently the jury has the option to consider a lesser charge and I'm thinking that is what he'll face. I guess we'll know in a couple days.

I hadn't heard of this one until now, but after reading a synopsis of the opening statements, I don't see how it was justified. Both sides seem to agree that the victim was unarmed, and the defense doesn't seem to be making an eggshell argument. What really bothers me is that (again, it seems both sides agree on this point) is that the defendant went into the truck and retrieved his pistol before shooting the victim. He could have taken refuge in the truck with his wife in the Hummer, and waited for help to arrive. If the victim had tried to break into the car, it would have justified through the castle doctrine.

However, anything can happen in a jury trial - I'll be curious to hear the verdict.

Guest KimberChick

Guilty, Second Degree Murder. 1st Indictment

Guilty, Assault. 2nd Indictment

Guilty, Agg. Assault 3rd Indictment

Not Guilty, Assault 4th Count Indictment

Guilty, Assault 5th count Indictment

Guest Revelator

He's looking at 13.5-25 years on the Murder 2, no parole or probation. That's 100% hard time. The assault sentences will be run either concurrent or consecutive. Consecutive would add a bit more time. It'll be up to the judge at a sentencing hearing next month.

What can you do other than shake your head and say "Wow." It was all so avoidable. There are no winners here. The victim's children have lost their father. The defendant may very well die in prison, and he and his wife are financially ruined. All because of booze, testosterone, and ego. This is another reminder, once again, to all carry permit holders (and gun owners in general) that you absolutely, positively must always, always be on your best behavior and avoid aggressive situations whenever possible. It's a crazy world out there.

This is another reminder, once again, to all carry permit holders (and gun owners in general) that you absolutely, positively must always, always be on your best behavior and avoid aggressive situations whenever possible.

+1. A very sad event for all involved.

... It was all so avoidable. There are no winners here. The victim's children have lost their father. The defendant may very well die in prison, and he and his wife are financially ruined. All because of booze, testosterone, and ego. This is another reminder, once again, to all carry permit holders (and gun owners in general) that you absolutely, positively must always, always be on your best behavior and avoid aggressive situations whenever possible. It's a crazy world out there.

I'm sure both men never thought their childish behavior would have a result like this.

Guest tnxdshooter

Yeah, had he not gone to his truck got the gun stuck it in the dudes face and then shot him things would be different because then one could argue that since he pushed the dudes wife down he was obviously a threat.

the wife should been in jail as well she is the one that started and antiagonized the whole situation. it is a sad situation for the kids they have lost both of their parents.

I would imagine by the so called dream team the defendant had for lawyers that the man has some capital and if the victims family files a civil suit she will have a nightmare soon to come.