Homeade Cleaner Recipe?

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I keep a some ed's red in a coffee can in the shop. Sometimes I'll drop auto barrels in it if I can't clean immediately. Seems to cut powder residue well and degrease but never really evaluated it. Like Garufa said, how hard is it to keep some Hoppe's n clp around. Key ingrediates are kerosene, atf, and mineral spirits.

CLP seeems to work fine, but I do have a jar of diesel fuel mixed with oil. It works great too.

I near fill the jelly jar with diesel, then add some oil ( whatever I have around) until the color looks right. Stuff works great.

( don't ask me to define what makes the color look right, I only know that I know what looks right when I see it)

Good posted question.

Yes, Ed's Red. Been using it since at least 1998 with great results. For about $12, you can make a gallon of it. Tell me, how much Hoppes do you get for $12? A little teeny, tiny botltle that does not last long.

I clean all my guns handguns, rifles, shotguns with it. Since it is not good with copper fouling, I use Hoppes every 4th or 5th cleaning after using Ed's Red. Sure saves on the Hoppes!

1 part Kerosene

1 part Mineral Spirits

1 part Automatic Trans Fluid

1 part Acetone

All availiable from Wally World except perhaps the kerosene. Be sure and label it and store it properly.

I am hooked on Ed's Red because it is economical. I can use it liberally and not worry about it.

I use Ed's Red also but since I don't do shotguns and I don't have any wad fouling to deal with I leave out the acetone. Plus, I don't like the strong smell. I used Eds when I want to do a lot of cleaning of gunk and carbon fouling build up. I horse trade quite a bit and some of the guns I have picked up are a real mess. I go after them with Eds and a tooth brush and it cuts all that junk right out of them. I also use Wally world brake cleaner to wash down metal when I want to completely degrease parts. Same thing as Gun Scrubber for half the price. I use Break Free foaming bore cleaner every couple of cleanings, as it appears to really get the copper out of the bore. For daily lubing I still use Break Free CLP. But as stated, for $12 bucks, Eds is a grreat bulk cleaner. BTW, I tried the copper version with Ammonia and Murphys soap....sucks, wouldn't stay mixed and didn't work well, don't waste your time.

Guest 10mm4me

Polymer safe Gun scrubber (brake cleaner/de-greaser) and mili-tec are all you need to clean and lube a gun and it literally takes like 10 min. tops. All these "secret recipes" are really a waist of time.

Guest 70below

SHTF its always good to know how to make your own cleaner. And if it saves some money in the process, why not? I like the sound of Ed's Red, but I wouldn't bother with the acetone probably, acetone evaporates off so fast at room temperature, it wouldn't last long once the cap was off. I use it on a regular basis for cleaning stainless steel tubing and glass tubing, it doesn't stick around long.

I tried some Marvel Mystery Oil last week.

removed the stocks from 3 old .22's my wife brought me home from an auction

( Savage 187j, Remington 550, and Stevens/Springfield 120 )

cleaned everything good with brake cleaner

and soaked overnight in MMO...was very impressed

Ordered some Kroil ( online ) but haven't tried it yet .

1 part Motor oil

1 part ATF

This is the lube that I put on most of my guns.

I use kerosene in place of Hoppe's...The active ingredient is the same and it works just as well.

Is it really that hard to go down to Walmart and get some Hoppe's and/or CLP?

Why would one throw their money away like that if they can make a equivalent product for 1/10 the money.

Stated another way....Why would one go through the trouble of growing their own vegetables if all they have to do is go to the store and buy them?

Be careful with dechlorinated brake cleaner....it will DESTROY the finish on a 10/22 or similar painted aluminum receiver.

Otherwise - Yes - this is about the best solvent that you can use.

Yes, thank you. I forgot to mention that and I found out the hard way on my HiPoint 995. Some of the internals are coated with black paint and the brake cleaner immediately stripped them of the paint.

But on non-painted polymer and metal, it's good stuff.