Picking up a new pocket gun

jcj

About to head out on vacation and will (hopefully) be picking up a new pocket gun before I go. I don't really want to deal with my 1911 while lounging on the beach. :)

I had a Ruger LCP but I donated it to the wife since she got her HCP. Looking at getting a Taurus 851 Protector UL. Anyone have one (or similar) and pocket carry? I know the LCP was quite pocketable. I assume the Taurus will work great in the cargo pocket of cargo shorts, but not sure about front pocket carry.

Just wanted some feedback from snub owners. How do they carry?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would rather have a Smith 642 or Ruger LCR over the Taurus. I can carry the 642 in my front pocket. The LCR is just a little bulky for me to front pocket carry.

Me too! In this case, $$ is slim and I'll be doing good to get the (gently used) Taurus.

Taurus makes a fine revolver.

Snub noses pocket carry wonderfully. Better then Kel Tecs\LCPs if you ask me.

My snub is unable to fit in cargo pockets, though. Even my 5.11 pants, which are designed to carry pocket guns, the end of the grip will always stick out of the cargo pocket. They're made for front pockets. :up:

Edited by strickj
Taurus makes a fine revolver.

Snub noses pocket carry wonderfully. Better then Kel Tecs\LCPs if you ask me.

My snub is unable to fit in cargo pockets, though. The end of the grip will always stick out. They're made for front pockets. :up:

My Springfield XD 45 Compact fits in my cargo pockets. :) Definitely not a pocket gun by any stretch of the imagination due to weight.

Interesting that they carry that well in a front pocket. I would think the thickness of the cylinder would be problematic when compared to the LCP or similar pocket 380.

My Springfield XD 45 Compact fits in my cargo pockets. :) Definitely not a pocket gun by any stretch of the imagination due to weight.

Interesting that they carry that well in a front pocket. I would think the thickness of the cylinder would be problematic when compared to the LCP or similar pocket 380.

Naa, very comfy. Like said, they were literally made for pocket carry. Been carried that way since, well... who knows when. Certainly long before anything else that's on the gun market currently.

It's also a known that they pair well with 1911s. If you like one, you will like the other. :up:

Hah. Love my 1911, so perhaps I made the right choice.

My grandfather has an old Smith snub of some sort that his dad carried every day for years. I haven't looked at it in a long time so I don't recall the specifics on it, but I know I had gun envy when I saw it. I'd love to have that old Smith. According to my grandfather, it has never been shot. The "original" box of ammo is still with it.

My "pocket gun" is a S&W MP340. 13.3 oz is the lightest snub I know of other than the 340PD (but can not be fired with less than 125gr .357's) and capable if .357 mag, but I wouldn't suggest it. However, they tend to be rather pricey if cost is a factor.

There is a nice Colt Agent for sale in the Classifieds. They are light and typically have a wonderful trigger! And the best of all is they hold one more round than a Smith & Wesson J-Frame does. I have one in blue and it's my go anywhere pistol. I believe this one has a matte finish.

Guest CharlieMemphis

I just got rid of my J Frame not too long ago on a trade for an xdM 40. so glad i did that while the J frame is a great compact reliable gun for carrying, I really didnt enjoy shooting it that just my personal opinion

Guest Hillbilly Dan

Try the Sig P238. I went through the Kel Tec and the Ruger. Liked them both, but this is just a copy of the old Colt Mustang. It shoots great, and is typical of what Sig puts out. Take a look at a good gun store. I saw one yesterday at the Great Outdoor Store in Jackson, TN

I just got rid of my J Frame not too long ago on a trade for an xdM 40. so glad i did that while the J frame is a great compact reliable gun for carrying, I really didnt enjoy shooting it that just my personal opinion

I hate shooting my J frame, but I carry it off duty more than any other gun.

Guest CajunKen
Tell us more. I was looking at one the other day and it felt pretty nice.

Scroll down in this (Handguns) section to my thread titled " Range Report, S&W Bodyguard 38.

Guest CajunKen
Tell us more. I was looking at one the other day and it felt pretty nice.

Scroll down in this section ( handguns ) to my thread titled " Range Report S&W Bodyguard 38.

I carried a Charter Arms Bulldog in 44 SPC for a long time. I absolutely loved the gun and for the life of me can't figure out what I was thinking when I traded it. I would grab it if I didn't want to or feel like carrying a full size 1911. I never had any problems with mine, always went bang when it was supposed to.

I honestly do not know how they compare size wise to some of the other recommendations. It might be a little bit bigger but you are also starting out with a bigger round as well.

Dolomite

ive had a p3at and a taurus 85 in the past. now i have a p238 and a glock 26. i pocket carry the glock 26 daily at work and will carry the p238 in the rare instances that i cant get the 26 in tighter fitted pants. may end up carrying the 238 more now that i am trying to get back into a 1911 and away from glocks.

Ended up with a Taurus 709 Slim. Seems to work rather well in a pocket holster, although I wouldn't have thought so considering how much larger it is than the true pocket pistols such as the LCP.

Going to head over to the range tomorrow to break it in.

..and a pic for good measure.

PT709_2.jpg

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Edited by jcj

Plus one for the Sig P238. I got mine at the first of the year. My wife likes the size and shooting it so I had to get her one also. I love the little thing and carry it as a primary. I know it's usually a back-up gun, but I don't want anyone to know I have it. I can carry it in my back pocket and it looks like a wallet. I can carry it my front pocket just as easy. An officer told me that he might miss it in a pat down thinking it was a wallet. That made him rethink his tactics. As far as shooting, it is outstanding. Very accurate. I'm just under 1000 Rounds and not one problem yet. Back to the primary carry comment before I get whaled on, if I get the first round on target I'm not going to stop there. 2X.380=.760. 3X=1.140 4X=1.520 5X=1.900. Return fire is not expected after that. I'll be mad if I'm wrong.