Riddle Me This....

Guest Glock23ForMe

Guest Glock23ForMe

A guy rides into town on Friday, he stays three (3) days, and leaves on Friday....

How does he do it?

and....

If Jimmy can paint a house in 4 hours, and Jane can paint that EXACT SAME house in 3 hours, how long would it take them to paint the house together?

Just for fun.. The joke thread is cool.. So, I thought, "How about a riddle thread."

DISCLAIMER: Don't cheat and go to google and find out... If you don't know, why cheat? ;)

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A 12th floor tennant takes the elevator down to the lobby every day when he leaves for work. When he comes home he has different rituals. If it rains, he rides the elevator all the way back up to his apartment. Every other day he takes the elevator to the 8th floor and walks up the remaining 4 floors.

Why does he do this?

Guest Jamie
A guy rides into town on Friday, he stays three (3) days, and leaves on Friday....

How does he do it?

His horse is named Friday.

and....

If Jimmy can paint a house in 4 hours, and Jane can paint that EXACT SAME house in 3 hours, how long would it take them to paint the house together?

Just for fun.. The joke thread is cool.. So, I thought, "How about a riddle thread."

DISCLAIMER: Don't cheat and go to google and find out... If you don't know, why cheat? ;)

Jane paints 25% faster than Jimmy...so, 1.875 hours, or 1 hour and 52 minutes, 30 seconds for the pair of 'em. Provided they don't spend any time fighting 'cause Jane keeps nagging Jimmy about how slow he is. :D

( The average of half each one's time added together is an hour and 45 minutes, so that may be the answer the riddle is looking for. )

J.

Edited by Jamie
  • Moderators
Not sure if I'm falling into a trap on the 2nd one (i.e. why would Jane paint the same house?)

If it's legit, my guess is an hour and 43 minutes.

His horse is named Friday.

Jane paints 25% faster than Jimmy...so, 1.875 hours, or 1 hour and 52 minutes, 30 seconds for the pair of 'em. Provided they don't spend any time fighting 'cause Jane keeps nagging Jimmy about how slow he is. :D

( The average of half each one's time added together is an hour and 45 minutes, so that may be the answer the riddle is looking for. )

J.

That's a work rate problem and if you remember algebra class at all you have to show all of your work to get full credit. ;)

Guest Jamie
That's a work rate problem and if you remember algebra class at all you have to show all of your work to get full credit. ;)

You don't wanna see my work after the day I've had... 'cause I've no doubt screwed the math completely up with that one semi-working brain cell I have left. :P:D

J.

It will take 4 hours. They will start painting together, then Jane will start complaining that Jimmy is not getting complete coverage, dripping paint, missing spots, holding the roller/brush/spray gun wrong, etc. Jane will then start going back over Jimmy's work. Jimmy will go get a beer and watch the game. Jane will then re-paint everything Jimmy did, and do the rest of the house. Elapsed time - 4 hours.

Guest SUNTZU
It will take 4 hours. They will start painting together, then Jane will start complaining that Jimmy is not getting complete coverage, dripping paint, missing spots, holding the roller/brush/spray gun wrong, etc. Jane will then start going back over Jimmy's work. Jimmy will go get a beer and watch the game. Jane will then re-paint everything Jimmy did, and do the rest of the house. Elapsed time - 4 hours.

:lol:

Here's one. You are in a Arab country that still has ancient customs concerning crime and punishment. You've been framed for a crime guilty of the death penalty by people who wish to see you dead, but you still have a chance. For every death penalty recieved the man will recieve a jar with two pieces of paper in it. One says live, and one says die. Whichever one you take out is what happens to you. Unfortunately, those who wish to see you dead have gotten access to jar, and it contains two pieces of paper that say die. How do you make it out alive?

A 12th floor tennant takes the elevator down to the lobby every day when he leaves for work. When he comes home he has different rituals. If it rains, he rides the elevator all the way back up to his apartment. Every other day he takes the elevator to the 8th floor and walks up the remaining 4 floors.

Why does he do this?

Because there's a hot chick in Apt 804 that sunbathes topless on the 8th floor balcony on sunny days.

Or option 2: He's a midget that can't reach the "12" button unless he has his umbrella with him.

Guest Glock23ForMe

Hilarious, but so true, and "True stuff is the funniest stuff."

Why does he do this?

I have no clue.. You got me there.

Answers to mine:

For starters, I actually use the house... Since it's the exact same house, you can just assign a value to it, it doesn't matter what it is, it can be 10000 or 10000000 square feet.

So, I get:

Find out what they can do on their own:

W(Ji) x H(Ji) = 100

W(Ji) = 100/H(Ji)

W(Ji) = 100/4

W(Ji) = 25 sq ft/ hour

W(Ja) x H(Ja) = 100

W(Ja) = 100/H(Ja)

W(Ja) = 100/3

W(Ja) = 33.3 sq ft/hour

Then combine:

(use the same sq footage)

[W(Ji) + W(Ja)] x H(Both) = 100

[(25) + (33.33)] x H = 100

58.33H = 100

H = 100/58.33

H = 1.714 Hours

We know that 1 Hour is 60 minutes... So

1.714(60) = 102.84

102.84 Minutes = 1 Hour 42 Minutes and 50 seconds... Provided that Jane doesn't complain.

(I didn't do all the math to show you how smart I was, just to help someone that doesn't know the answer or how in the world some of us got it :lol:)

Edited by Glock23ForMe
Guest Jamie
Hilarious, but so true, and "True stuff is the funniest stuff."

I have no clue.. You got me there.

Answers to mine:

For starters, I actually use the house... Since it's the exact same house, you can just assign a value to it, it doesn't matter what it is, it can be 10000 or 10000000 square feet.

So, I get:

Find out what they can do on their own:

W(Ji) x H(Ji) = 100

W(Ji) = 100/H(Ji)

W(Ji) = 100/4

W(Ji) = 25 sq ft/ hour

W(Ja) x H(Ja) = 100

W(Ja) = 100/H(Ja)

W(Ja) = 100/3

W(Ja) = 33.3 sq ft/hour

Then combine:

(use the same sq footage)

[W(Ji) + W(Ja)] x H(Both) = 100

[(25) + (33.33)] x H = 100

58.33H = 100

H = 100/58.33

H = 1.714 Hours

We know that 1 Hour is 60 minutes... So

1.714(60) = 102.84

102.84 Minutes = 1 Hour 42 Minutes and 50 seconds... Provided that Jane doesn't complain.

(I didn't do all the math to show you how smart I was, just to help someone that doesn't know the answer or how in the world some of us got it :))

Eh, I used percentages... Jane paints .5556% of the house per minute... Jimmy only manages .4167% per minute. The pair combined paint .9732% of the house per minute. ( 100 divided by 180 and 240, respectively. )

100 divided by .9732 = 102.8489 minutes, or 1.7141 hours.

Where I screwed up last night/this morning was in converting the decimal hours to minutes and seconds ( and also a little transposing of numbers, it seems, after looking back over my scratching and scribbling ), 'cause I should'a ended up with 1 hour, 42 minutes, and 50.76 seconds. :D

Ah well... just shows why you shouldn't do some things while you're tired. Glad my life wasn't depending on getting the right answer. :D

J.

Edited by Jamie
Here's one. You are in a Arab country that still has ancient customs concerning crime and punishment. You've been framed for a crime guilty of the death penalty by people who wish to see you dead, but you still have a chance. For every death penalty recieved the man will recieve a jar with two pieces of paper in it. One says live, and one says die. Whichever one you take out is what happens to you. Unfortunately, those who wish to see you dead have gotten access to jar, and it contains two pieces of paper that say die. How do you make it out alive?

Pull out one sheet and leave it folded and say this is my sheet. OPen the other the sheet and it says die so my sheet(still folded closed) must say live.

Guest Glock23ForMe
Eh, I used percentages... Jane paints .5556% of the house per minute... Jimmy only manages .4167% per minute. The pair combined paint .9732% of the house per minute. ( 100 divided by 180 and 240, respectively. )

100 divided by .9732 = 102.8489 minutes, or 1.7141 hours.

Where I screwed up last night/this morning was in converting the decimal hours to minutes and seconds ( and also a little transposing of numbers, it seems, after looking back over my scratching and scribbling ), 'cause I should'a ended up with 1 hour, 42 minutes, and 50.76 seconds. :D

Ah well... just shows why you shouldn't do some things while you're tired. Glad my life wasn't depending on getting the right answer. :D

J.

If you were a rocket scientist... Missing those 0.1 decimals... you would have killed 16 of the smartest people on Earth. Congratulations.

Guest Jamie
If you were a rocket scientist... Missing those 0.1 decimals... you would have killed 16 of the smartest people on Earth. Congratulations.

I can run it out to however many decimal places you want... won't make any difference if I get the numbers crossed up though.

Used to have to do that kind of math for a living. Never got anybody killed by screwing it up, but it did make a few folks awfully mad a time or two. :D

But then maybe I'm not following your meaning...?

J.

Pull out one sheet and leave it folded and say this is my sheet. OPen the other the sheet and it says die so my sheet(still folded closed) must say live.

The answer I had always heard was to pull one out and eat it. That way the have to look at the one that's left.

The answer I had always heard was to pull one out and eat it. That way the have to look at the one that's left.

I think that is close but can't exactly work reading the riddle

Whichever one you take out is what happens to you.

But the riddle said the One you pull out is what happens to you.

Maybe the riddle has been copied to many times and been rephased once to many. Maybe ask your accuser to pic one first.

Three men walk into a cheap motel to rent a room. The clerk at the front desk tells them the room will be $30. So they each fork out $10 apiece and hand it to the clerk. The three tired men go to their room and find that it's filthy. They go back to the front desk, demanding a new room. The clerk says that it's the only room left. The owner hears the three men complaining and feels a bit sorry for them. So the owner takes the clerk to the back room and tells him to give them a $5 discount. The clerk goes back to the front desk about to refund them the $5, but then changes his mind. The unscrupulous clerk decides to pocket $2 and refund them $3. He hands them each a dollar. So now each person actually only paid $9 instead of $10. Ok, $9 times three equals $27. Now, remember, the clerk pocketed $2. So, $27 plus the $2 equals $29. Hmm... they started off by paying $30. What happened to that dollar??? POOF! Gone.

If they both say die, and you take one out and eat it, they have to look at the one that is left, if they say that it says die they will come to the conclusion that you ate the one that says live. Perhaps I shouldn't've said that the one you pull out is what happens to you, but that your sentence is decided by the pieces of paper in the jar.

That's a work rate problem and if you remember algebra class at all you have to show all of your work to get full credit. :rolleyes:

I think it's simpler to say:

Jimmy's rate = 1 house per 4 hours

Jane's rate = 1 house per 3 hours

Unknown = 1 house per x hours

Jimmy + Jane = unknown:

1/4 + 1/3 = 1/x

or

3/12 + 4/12 = 1/x

or

7/12 = 1/x

or

12/7 = x = 1 + 5/7 hours

or

1 hour plus (5/7*60min/hr) = 1 hour 42 min 51.4 seconds (1'43" is close enough for a DIY project).

Three men walk into a cheap motel to rent a room. The clerk at the front desk tells them the room will be $30. So they each fork out $10 apiece and hand it to the clerk. The three tired men go to their room and find that it's filthy. They go back to the front desk, demanding a new room. The clerk says that it's the only room left. The owner hears the three men complaining and feels a bit sorry for them. So the owner takes the clerk to the back room and tells him to give them a $5 discount. The clerk goes back to the front desk about to refund them the $5, but then changes his mind. The unscrupulous clerk decides to pocket $2 and refund them $3. He hands them each a dollar. So now each person actually only paid $9 instead of $10. Ok, $9 times three equals $27. Now, remember, the clerk pocketed $2. So, $27 plus the $2 equals $29. Hmm... they started off by paying $30. What happened to that dollar??? POOF! Gone.

I like this one, but it's a trap (the wording tricks ya into forgetting the real price = $25, not $30). Eeach man overpaid $0.666666667 on the $25 dollar room leaving enough for the clerk to get a coke and a candy bar from the vending machine.

Guest mosinon

This one is a little weak factually but kind of fun... I guess...

You're in a room with windows on all sides. The windows all face south. A bear walks by. What color is the bear?