4" Springfield Armory 1911s

graycrait

Due to a lengthy series of errors in judgements and missteps in gun trading I currently find myself in possesion of two 4" Springfield Armory 1911s. One, the Champion, has a recoil system remininscent of the Glock 26 two piece spring system. The other, an "alleged" prototype SA Compact that was a prototype has a hinkey bushing and spring system that has been corrected by another "gunsmith.

I am looking for an expert in 4" Springfield Armory 1911s. I want to talk reliability, recoil systems and how to change them to reliable "standard" systems that use a short plug, recoil spring and bushing or in the case of the Champion just a plug and spring with its "bull" barrel. The Compact has a straight barrel and has been converted to a notched bushign while retaining the two-piece recoil rod.

Craig in Clarksville, TN

SAChampion.jpg

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest grimel

You might find an early Champion (the 4" Springer 1911) with a bushing that works, but, don't count on it. There was a reason Springer, Wilson, et al went to the bull barrel and bushingless system - consistent reliability.

Guest Seraph

I bought a Springfield Armory GI Champion, with plans from the outset to customize it. Though it ran perfectly from day one, I always hated the goofy guide rod assembly, with its captive inner spring. When I got around to having the Champion made over, I had a Wilson Combat one piece FLGR shortened to work with the Champion (retaining use of the Champion's OEM spring plug), so that I could use Commander recoil springs when it came time to replace springs, instead of being obligated to buy another guide rod/captive spring assembly from Springfield. I had a hole drilled through it, so I could use a small allen wrench as a takedown tool, as is done with "L" shaped tool that comes with the Kimber Pro 4" guns. I don't like FLGR's, but I do find it preferable, in this case, to the goofy Champion captive spring unit.

Gigolette_M9_02.jpg

Thanks for the tips. They give me a options to start with. I have seen one 4" straight barrelled Champion Super Tuned that has been converted to standard type bushing and recoil spring with short guide rod and it works well. The Champion I have has the two-piece Glock 26-like recoil set-up with bull barrel and it has no function issues at this point. The Compact has been converted to a two-piece FLGR with hole for take down and a modified plug.

Craig