Mini 14 trigger question

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious...older one or new one?

I was pleasantly surprised with my 581 ranch ... glides right to tight and then breaks with negligible creep, guess that's called two-stage? Could be lighter break I guess, but it's pretty nice as is.

It got to this after maybe about 500 rounds, but know don't remember if it got better along the way or started out 'bout as it is.

- OS

OS, your Mini is the only one I have ever shot. It has the classic military style two-stage trigger. After firing the first shot, you hold the trigger back and then gently let it go forward to the "2nd" stage, about half-way. Once you learn that technique it's all rock and roll after that.

I was pleasantly surprised with my 581 ranch ... glides right to tight and then breaks with negligible creep, guess that's called two-stage? Could be lighter break I guess, but it's pretty nice as is.

It got to this after maybe about 500 rounds, but know don't remember if it got better along the way or started out 'bout as it is.

- OS

I'm pretty persnickety about triggers. Mine isn't bad, but it isn't good either. I'll give Doc 85 bucks to make it better.

I'm pretty persnickety about triggers. Mine isn't bad, but it isn't good either. I'll give Doc 85 bucks to make it better.

Well, little things do make a big diff to folks who can really actually shoot, I've heard. :-)

- OS

- OS

It was made in 1999 I believe. I assume that would make one of the older Ranch Rifles.

It was made in 1999 I believe. I assume that would make one of the older Ranch Rifles.

Yeah, most 580 and all 581 serial number prefix has quite a few differences, the barrel specs being perhaps the biggest one.

Trigger group differences, I don't know.

- OS

I think the 581 series is just the Mini 30. Mine is a 580... at least that's the start of the serial number. I don't thik they changed anything in the trigger group.

My Mini 14 is 581-43xxx, just for the record.

- OS

Got my trigger back from Gun Doc. It's a different rifle. No takeup, no creep, feels like about a 3 lb pull. I'll stick the trigger gauge on it later. Well worth the 85 bucks. Gonna hit the range Friday and see what kind of group I get without having to drag the rifle around by the trigger.

I'm a happy guy.

Got my trigger back from Gun Doc. It's a different rifle. No takeup, no creep, feels like about a 3 lb pull. I'll stick the trigger gauge on it later. Well worth the 85 bucks. Gonna hit the range Friday and see what kind of group I get without having to drag the rifle around by the trigger.

I'm a happy guy.

Outstanding...report after shooting...

Sounds like something I might consider down the road if I ever get flush enough for more of the "additional options" category.

- OS

Outstanding...report after shooting...

Sounds like something I might consider down the road if I ever get flush enough for more of the "additional options" category.

- OS

You'll like it. Feels more like a Marlin 336 trigger than a Mini 14. Not a typical 2 stage feel anymore. Can't feel any takeup.

You'll like it. Feels more like a Marlin 336 trigger than a Mini 14. Not a typical 2 stage feel anymore. Can't feel any takeup.

Well, hmm...while my Marlin 336 indeed doesn't have takeup, it's pretty darn stiff. Even braced on something, I find it tough to release it without it changing point of aim some.

Matter of fact, I'd say I'm somewhat more consistently accurate at 120 yards with my stock Mini than the Marlin.

- OS

Well, hmm...while my Marlin 336 indeed doesn't have takeup, it's pretty darn stiff. Even braced on something, I find it tough to release it without it changing point of aim some.

Matter of fact, I'd say I'm somewhat more consistently accurate at 120 yards with my stock Mini than the Marlin.

- OS

You're right. It's much heavier. Just drug out the Lyman. The Mini is 2lbs 2oz now. Doc doesn't measure the pull. He does it by feel.

EDIT: Guess my 336 will be next. It's the only one that hasn't been messed with, except my Brownings. They don't need it.

Edited by mikegideon