TN CCW...How to?

Guest RGL01

Guest RGL01

Was down at the TDOS today getting my driver's license. Asked about applying for my TN CCW. Was told to take a safety course at a gunshop before filling out an application. I'm a bit confused. What exactly is the procedure for obtaining my TN CCW? The TDOS website isn't very explicit. Thanks in advance. ;)

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First you must attend a Handgun training class by a certified instructor. This is comprised of about 4 hours of class instruction followed by shooting 48 rounds into a target with at least 70% accuracy. Then you take your certificate of completion to the DMV, fill out the application and pay your fee. Next you will have to go get fingerprinted. The fingerprinting agency will send your prints off and then you wait up to 90 days to get your handgun carry permit. Hope this helps.

Guest RGL01

Yes that helps a great deal. Much obliged. Can I bring my sidearm to the class?

Does anyone have any recommendations for a training location in Knox County?

Oh, and that's a great shot of Bogey. ;)

Edited by RGL01

I used my own gun to qualify. The shop I went to also loans guns for the purpose of the class. My buddy shot his .22 Ruger at class. You do not have to use the gun you plan on carrying. You can carry any handgun once you get your permit.

Bogey? Who's Bogey? That's my highschool yearbook photo!

Guest RGL01
I used my own gun to qualify. The shop I went to also loans guns for the purpose of the class. My buddy shot his .22 Ruger at class. You do not have to use the gun you plan on carrying. You can carry any handgun once you get your permit.

Bogey? Who's Bogey? That's my highschool yearbook photo!

Thanks for the info. You're a classy looking guy. :P

Guest RGL01
Just stop by your nearest gun store. They will know when and where a class is being offered. Also look around because I signed up and put my money down but found 2 classes that were being held before mine at other locations.

Much obliged! :P

It's actually a pretty straightforward process once you get started. It seems like everybody and their uncle are offering the classes, now. As others have said, look around to find a place you think you would be most comfortable taking the class. Also, be aware that instructors and classes must meet certain state requirements but the instructors are 'independant' - meaning that some charge more than others and some seem to charge significantly more than others for a class that meets the exact, same requirements as another class will meet for less $$$. That isn't to say that the quality of all the classes will be the same and some might offer a bit more/better instruction for the money, I don't know.

BTW, in TN we don't havea CCW. Here, the permit is an HCP (Handgun Carry Permit.) I'm not trying to be nit-picky but the difference is significant. CCW refers to a Carry Concealed Weapon (or Concealed Carry Weapon) permit. My understanding is that in states that have a CW, this usually means that either a) open carry is legal without a permit but concealed carry requires a permit or :D open carry is illegal, period, a carry weapon must remain concealed and a permit is required to legally do so. In TN, however, open carry and concealed carry are both legal with an HCP but an HCP is required in order to legally do either.

Edited by JAB
Guest tngw1500se
When paying your fee to the Dept of Safety - no personal checks, they like cash

That's so Obama doesn't get a cut!

When paying your fee to the Dept of Safety - no personal checks, they like cash

The La Follette TN DOS office also said they would accept Visa/Mastercard for HCP fees. I took the cash with me because I was prepared to have to pay with cash. Not sure about other locations.

First you must attend a Handgun training class by a certified instructor. This is comprised of about 4 hours of class instruction followed by shooting 48 rounds into a target with at least 70% accuracy. Then you take your certificate of completion to the DMV, fill out the application and pay your fee. Next you will have to go get fingerprinted. The fingerprinting agency will send your prints off and then you wait up to 90 days to get your handgun carry permit. Hope this helps.

You also need a certified birth certificate or a passport.