Solicitation at house

Guest Tiny G
Ok, haven't read all the posts but I got a story about Mormons goin' door to door. I'm crashin' at a buddy's apartment in Baton Rouge for about a month while I'm in between places. He's Atheist, and I'm not Christian myself. I step outside to take a phone call because the walls are concrete. I'm standin' outside and I see 2 mormons at a corner apartment goin' around and coming our way. They take one look at me, wave, turn around and walk away. I don't know what I did, but I have a gift. Now I would like to point out that I have nothing against mormons, just people who go door to door. Especially in the morning.

As a Mormon and ex-missionary . . .trust me, we hated having to do it. But when you want to keep busy all day sometimes there is just nothing else to do except knock on doors.

I always appreciated a polite "No thank you". That was a good signifier that the conversation was over. :rofl:

(oh, and if I saw you were on the phone I wouldn't have interrupted you either)

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always appreciated a polite "No thank you". That was a good signifier that the conversation was over.

I always appreciate the ones who understand this. I always offer a polite "No thanks". If they try to continue their pitch, that's when I either become a jack-hole or a smart-a$$, depending on my mood.

As a Mormon and ex-missionary . . .trust me, we hated having to do it. But when you want to keep busy all day sometimes there is just nothing else to do except knock on doors.

I always appreciated a polite "No thank you". That was a good signifier that the conversation was over. :rofl:

(oh, and if I saw you were on the phone I wouldn't have interrupted you either)

I was in Germany walking around town... it was myself a couple of other soldiers and our company commander all in civilian clothes. We came out of a store and he kind of gestured down the block and said "There's some more Americans. They must be Mormons." We went down and started a conversation with them and sure enough they were Mormons out converting the Germans. Said they walked around from place to place but that they were staying in Kaiserslautern for a while before moving on.

I asked the CO how he knew and he said their clothes which dawned on me once he said it.

I know Mormons are required to do the door to door thing, or at least that's what I've heard, and I do try to be polite with everyone I deal with, at least until they don't return the favor, but I'm just not a fun person to be around in the morning.

Guest Tiny G
I always appreciate the ones who understand this. I always offer a polite "No thanks". If they try to continue their pitch, that's when I either become a jack-hole or a smart-a$$, depending on my mood.

I would also try and just have a quick intro, one or two sentences . . that would give people time to give the "No Thanks". I hate it when someone comes up on you and launches into a 3 min. speech and you have to interrupt them.

I know Mormons are required to do the door to door thing, or at least that's what I've heard, and I do try to be polite with everyone I deal with, at least until they don't return the favor, but I'm just not a fun person to be around in the morning.

Not really required to go door to door for us, but we were supposed to keep busy.

I was in the slums of Buenos Aires, had a few knives pulled on me and got shot at 3 times . . learned not to interrupt an important soccer game after that :rofl:

Edited by Tiny G
Guest Jamie

Just had one of the count commissioners come by, begging for votes.

As soon as she started to step out of the car and tell me who she was, I just smiled and waved "bye bye". :devil:

Needless to say, she shut up, closed the door and left.

If I had been in the mood to be mean, I'd have explained to her that if I had my way about it, every damn one of the bastards would be out of work after the next election.

But I guess she might have figured that out from my reaction. :D

J.

Guest Jamie
Quick question, I think i have read now.

In my own home, on my own property I don't have to have a HCP to carry and be loaded right?

So I could answer the door full on OC?

You could answer the door wearing a thong and carrying a pair of loaded .50 cal Desert Eagles, if you wanted.

You don't need any permission at all to carry a gun, in any condition, so long as you're on your own property, aren't prohibited from owning a gun, and aren't endangering anybody.

J.

i hate to admit but i fell for the magazine scam once. later on another guy came and tried to do the same and I said i wasnt interested and he kept going on. i told him someone else just tried to sell me the same stuff and he asked how it went and i said he is tied up in the back if he wanted to ask him himself. needless to say the dude did a 180 and left without another word.

You could answer the door wearing a thong and carrying a pair of loaded .50 cal Desert Eagles, if you wanted.

You don't need any permission at all to carry a gun, in any condition, so long as you're on your own property, aren't prohibited from owning a gun, and aren't endangering anybody.

J.

exactly what i thought. That just mine encourage them to never come back.

We haven't had Rain in like 2 weeks or very little here in Oak Ridge, any 90 plus days, Today I checked once and say it at 95.

I have not mowed the grass in about 2 weeks. It has not grown much and is still kinda green, getting a little dry.

About 10 minutes ago a kid knocked on my door and ask if I wanted him to mow my grass.

1. I mow it myself

2. I answered the door No shirt figuring it was a next door neighbor going to ask to borrow my car ramps or something because I had see him messing with his car a little earlier.

Since it was only a kid, I just politely told him no thanks and pointed out I believed it would probably kill it because of how dry it has been. I wanted to give him a little bit of a reason why.

Seriously though, let’s get back the prostitutes soliciting at the door! :)

I keeping thinking about that subject as well. I really like intelligent women, so it would be interesting to have one stop by and give an intelligent sales pitch telling me about what all services she has to offer. Maybe she could even prepare a spreadsheet.........

As far as the kid asking to mow, that type of thing is becoming very rare these days. Seems kids no longer have to do those small law jobs in order to save up for anything because most parents just buy them whatever they want anyway. It takes them a long time, if ever, to learn the true value of a dollar because they grew up not having to do anything to earn it. I'm with Mike in that I would have probably come up with some little something he could do to earn a few bucks.

Guest Jamie
I keeping thinking about that subject as well. I really like intelligent women, so it would be interesting to have one stop by and give an intelligent sales pitch telling me about what all services she has to offer. Maybe she could even prepare a spreadsheet.........

For some reason, door-to-door hookers only makes me think of the Pavlovian response that would cause when some fellows heard the doorbell ring. Only it probably wouldn't be drooling... :eek: ( Pavlov conditioned a bunch of dogs to drool when they heard a bell ring, in anticipation of being fed, as part of an experiment. )

I can see where that response could get awfully embarrassing at times, under the wrong circumstances. :):lol::D

J.

Guest Jamie
In high school, we had a band called "Pavlov's Dog." I guess the theory is correct. When we played, everybody ran.

I'm guessing that's not the effect you were hoping to have. :)

J.

Guest Jamie
"Reverse Psychology" consists of applying saliva to a dog's mouth in an effort to make a bell ring.

Well, to apply that to door-to-door hookers, I suppose that would entail doing such a good job on the hookers that they wanted to come back, thereby resulting in sex causing the doorbell to ring. :)

J.

Guest boatme99

Years ago I had a farm in Md. The driveway was 1/3 mi., down hill, from road to house with nowhere to turn around due to a creek, gully, and trees. One day I was at the barn working on a truck when a shiney sedan comes down and stops before the turnaround. Out get two thumpers who start walking up to me all the while yammering about the need to talk, etc.

I told them "not interested" but they kept coming. I yelled to my wife who was at the door to get the shotgun. She comes out with a Mossberg Cruiser hanging from her arm.

Picture open jaws and shuffling feet.

I told them "get in the car and get out of here now"

I still smile when I picture them backing all the way up that drive to the road.