Doubletree hotel in Oak Ridge posted?

I am going to the hotel for a convention this month and I noticed a few people on here from there so I was wondering if anyone new if they were posted, could they even stop me from carrying in the room? but I will be going in to thier other rooms. Also I hope to sneak away for some fishing :stare: if ya know of any places to bass fish off the bank close by I would appreciate the info. Thanks, Scott

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

I don't know if the restaurant is posted or not, but I'm fairly sure they cannot bar you from possessing a firearm in your room. IIRC there's an TN Attorney General Opinion on the matter. There's many waterways surrounding Oak Ridge but I personally would not eat anything that comes out of them. They might glow in the dark. :stare:

Tnscooter63

I have done a little fish around Oak Ridge but honestly I have never done any good. Now that I have an interest in HCP and with the new laws and Posting of Parks in Oak Ridge I am not certain where you can get to the water with out Passing a No Weapons Sign.

It might be possible to Park near Bull Run where allot of people park to walk down to Fish, but I have not been there in a couple years and I DO NOT KNOW if it is POSTED or not.

I need to find a place to fish myself. If I have time after work tomorrow I will try to drive over there and check.

I've caught several good-sized bass at Clark Center Park. You go out of the DoubleTree lot and take a left, like you're going to Knoxville...stay on that road until you pass McDonald's...then take your first right. That will probably be Scarboro Road. Stay on that road and don't get off. You'll cross through a red light (Edgemoor Road?) but just go straight...the road becomes much less traveled as you go past the light and you will start noticing water on both sides of you shortly. You'll go about 1/4 mile or less from the light and there will be a "Y" in the road...the road to the left should be gated and leads to the water intake structure for the city's water buildings...hang a right and proceed. You can actually fish for bass right in that area...there is a culvert under the road (right by the fences and the "Y") where I have caught lots of fish. The next 200-300 yards will be good fishing. If you stay on the road and go about a mile, you will get to Clark Center Park...a very nice family place with ball fields and playgrounds...also a boat ramp. There are a couple of fishing piers (just for fishing...not associated with the boat ramp, but right next to it). I have caught lots of Blue Gills and Stripers in through there, but the bass usually hang out back at the "Y" near the entrance gate and the water plant fence...mostly by the culvert.

If that doesn't work, then follow the instructions above, but at the last light (Edgemoor) take a left. Stay on Edgemoor road, which means you'll need to stay in the right hand lane and go off like you're exiting an interstate to the right...it weaves around a little and comes out up-stream of the Clark Center Park (actually the Clinch River). You'll see a boat ramp and a lot of folks fish around there. Just a little further and you'll see another TWRA fishing pier.

If all else fails, stay on Edgemoor and go until you're in front of Bull Run Steam Plant. You can park in a little lot up there and walk back across the grass for about 1/4 mile and fish in that water...may have to cross a railroad trestle if I recall correctly, but they have actually stocked Muskies in the Clinch River. I have never caught one (or even seen one) but they are in there. In the winter, Bull Run Steam Plant puts out some warm water and large Stripers come in there...I have seen folks use big live Shad as bait and just about get pulled in when they caught one...I think they set the state record right there for the biggest Rock Bass...

Anyway, have fun fishing! B

Tnscooter63

I have done a little fish around Oak Ridge but honestly I have never done any good. Now that I have an interest in HCP and with the new laws and Posting of Parks in Oak Ridge I am not certain where you can get to the water with out Passing a No Weapons Sign.

It might be possible to Park near Bull Run where allot of people park to walk down to Fish, but I have not been there in a couple years and I DO NOT KNOW if it is POSTED or not.

I need to find a place to fish myself. If I have time after work tomorrow I will try to drive over there and check.

Would make a difference if it is a state or local park dealing with signs, the state parks I have seen still have thier no-guns signs and is legal but do you know if Oak Ridge has opted out of the parks carry? and if you want someone to go fishing with my goal is Friday the 23rd in afternoon or saturday morning or maybe late on the 24th

I've caught several good-sized bass at Clark Center Park. You go out of the DoubleTree lot and take a left, like you're going to Knoxville...stay on that road until you pass McDonald's...then take your first right. That will probably be Scarboro Road. Stay on that road and don't get off. You'll cross through a red light (Edgemoor Road?) but just go straight...the road becomes much less traveled as you go past the light and you will start noticing water on both sides of you shortly. You'll go about 1/4 mile or less from the light and there will be a "Y" in the road...the road to the left should be gated and leads to the water intake structure for the city's water buildings...hang a right and proceed. You can actually fish for bass right in that area...there is a culvert under the road (right by the fences and the "Y") where I have caught lots of fish. The next 200-300 yards will be good fishing. If you stay on the road and go about a mile, you will get to Clark Center Park...a very nice family place with ball fields and playgrounds...also a boat ramp. There are a couple of fishing piers (just for fishing...not associated with the boat ramp, but right next to it). I have caught lots of Blue Gills and Stripers in through there, but the bass usually hang out back at the "Y" near the entrance gate and the water plant fence...mostly by the culvert.

If that doesn't work, then follow the instructions above, but at the last light (Edgemoor) take a left. Stay on Edgemoor road, which means you'll need to stay in the right hand lane and go off like you're exiting an interstate to the right...it weaves around a little and comes out up-stream of the Clark Center Park (actually the Clinch River). You'll see a boat ramp and a lot of folks fish around there. Just a little further and you'll see another TWRA fishing pier.

If all else fails, stay on Edgemoor and go until you're in front of Bull Run Steam Plant. You can park in a little lot up there and walk back across the grass for about 1/4 mile and fish in that water...may have to cross a railroad trestle if I recall correctly, but they have actually stocked Muskies in the Clinch River. I have never caught one (or even seen one) but they are in there. In the winter, Bull Run Steam Plant puts out some warm water and large Stripers come in there...I have seen folks use big live Shad as bait and just about get pulled in when they caught one...I think they set the state record right there for the biggest Rock Bass...

Sweet, I will print this one. Thanks

Guest bkelm18
Would make a difference if it is a state or local park dealing with signs, the state parks I have seen still have thier no-guns signs and is legal but do you know if Oak Ridge has opted out of the parks carry?

Yes, Oak Ridge has opted out of park carry and so far as I have seen, every single park/trail is properly posted.

+1 for Clark center park. I've been out there, good place to fish.

Clark Ctr is now an Oak Ridge City facility and is posted

Man that sucks, I wasnt even thinking about being a park or posted, I have avoided places I couldnt carry since I got my permit 1 an 1/2 years ago. I was considering getting one of those lock boxes for the car like the Secure-it or something, does anyone know if this would be legal unloaded in the box at places or parks posted?

Man that sucks, I wasnt even thinking about being a park or posted, I have avoided places I couldnt carry since I got my permit 1 an 1/2 years ago. I was considering getting one of those lock boxes for the car like the Secure-it or something, does anyone know if this would be legal unloaded in the box at places or parks posted?

Good question.

I have been considering a lock box I could bolt down in my truck for places I have to leave my pistol. So an answer to this would be great.

OK, I finally got over to Bull Run and checked.

Right where you Park to walk down to the water/fishing spots they have a sign. I guess it is posted since you would have to cross their property to get to the water. Here is the sign.

DSCI0191.jpg

Also the Other City Parks on Edgemore are City Parks but I don't know the names of them but they have the generic City Posting signs.

DSCI0180.jpg

DSCI0181.jpg

I guess that means the TWRA Pier is also posted since you have to though the city park to get to it.

DSCI0184.jpg

Clark Center park you told us about, my wife and I didn't even know about but we drove over there this even and got this picture

DSCI0179.jpg

While we where there, there was some happening 2 Fire trucks, and other emergency vehicles came in. That was about 4:30-5pm today.

I hope all these pictures posts.

Edited by vontar
Guest bkelm18

Yes, the only sign I've seen at Clark Center (though I haven't looked too hard), is the one posted above. It's not technically a legal sign. Not sure why the city went with that one instead of the legal ones posted at every other park.

after the new restaraunt bill am sure it is legal now

Restaurant bill did not change municipal parks posting requirements.

The first and last pix in the previous post would NOT conform to those requirements.

But the first is TVA land, I guess?, which is already very very gray period.

- OS

The blue TVA sign seems to be a "standard" sign they use as it looks to be the same as the one at Beech Lake in Lexington, TN. To be honest not sure if that sign still applies after the new park carry law or not. I mean I know it doesn't meet the requirments of 39-17-1311, but could it still be off-limits anyway?

The sign in the 2nd pic (closeup in 3rd pic) is a legal sign for parks, assuming it is of the proper dimensions. (6"x14")

The sign in the last pic would be legal for any place except parks...they must post signs as described in 39-17-1311

The sign in the 2nd pic (closeup in 3rd pic) is a legal sign for parks, assuming it is of the proper dimensions. (6"x14")

I have measured them, they are 6"x14' which seems small

that last picture is the only one I did see at Clark Park, Right at the Gate, so are you saying they not propertly posted?

Someone should probably double check me, I have been known to make mistakes, allot of them.

I have measured them, they are 6"x14' which seems small

That is the minimum size specified in the statute.

...that last picture is the only one I did see at Clark Park, Right at the Gate, so are you saying they not propertly posted?...

Assuming Clark Park is city or county park, then no, not properly posted.

But of course our AG has said that you could be charged even if they aren't posted at all.

Like, you know, the law doesn't really matter, so why did legislature even bother, eh?

- OS

Hasn't it been said that sometimes what the AG says is just an opinion and it takes a Judge to make a ruling.

Example, say a certain park was not post and the AG had it in mind to charge a person anways.

That the AG may charge someone with something but a Judge may though it out in a case right which could then become case law?

I agree 6"x14" is small to read from a car, but that is all that is required by 39-17-1311©(1)

However in addition to the entrance it is supposed to be posted in other "prominent locations" which 39-17-1311©(2) says "includes, but is not limited to, all entrances to the property, any building or structure located on the property, such as restrooms, picnic areas, sports facilities, welcome centers, gift shops, playgrounds, swimming pools, restaurants and parking lots."

As far as the last sign 39-17-1359(f) says "This section shall not apply to the grounds of any public park, natural area, historic park, nature trail, campground, forest, greenway, waterway or other similar public place that is owned or operated by the state, a county, a municipality or instrumentality thereof. The carrying of firearms in those areas shall be governed by § 39-17-1311."

So a 39-17-1359 sign is not a legal posting for a park.

Just to note TN AG opinion 09-158 Question 6 says a person can still be convicted of carry in a park even if signs are not posted. However this is just an opinion and in my opinion, if very flawed.

Hasn't it been said that sometimes what the AG says is just an opinion and it takes a Judge to make a ruling.

Example, say a certain park was not post and the AG had it in mind to charge a person anways.

That the AG may charge someone with something but a Judge may though it out in a case right which could then become case law?

Correct

All correct, what the AG emits are opinions.

Some are like escaping methane vapors.

- OS