Can I bring an ex-felon to the gun range?

Guest Caveman
I knew the "EX-Felon" thing would draw some comments as soon as I hit the post button. I know a felon is always a felon, it just makes me feel better about my friend. ;)

Anyway, I think I'll get more details from them. I'm almost certain they have told me they voted before, so that means they probably have a misdemeanor. They did do a stint in jail, but that doesn't automatically mean felony.

Thanks for all the comments. If it turns out they are a felon, I'll graciously back out of my offer.

How does someone not know whether their conviction is a felony or misdemeanor? It's not like having a misdemeanor conviction and not knowing what class it is. If you have been convicted of a felony, you would know it. I am not trying to be an @$$, just curious.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Sgt. Joe
Interesting about renting guns, though.

I've never rented one, but wondering if you FFLs that do that run a TICS and that's part of the rental price?

- OS

I am now wondering about this myself, I really dont think my range does a BG check but I will find out. I guess if they dont and a felon is found on the range it would be on that person to have known better, then again I have never seen LEO checkingout folks at the range either????

I will ask next time I go and if I can get motivated that should be soon.....big IF though right now.

I've rented handguns at several ranges and they've only made a photo-copy of my DL, no TICS. I believe there's a form with that question "Can you legally own a firemarm?" as a part of the paperwork you have to fill out.

I've rented at Coal Creek several times; good way to shoot a number of different makes and calibers. They just take your DL and put it in the case where the gun you're renting was, then they return it when you return the gun, no background check that I have seen, but there may have been a question on the "New Shooter" paperwork about being a felon.

You have to be a royal ****-up to get a DD.

Not true at all I meet a guy a few years back at a gun show who Got DD, The reason for this came up a few months later when he showed me a video that a news crew had took of him the film showed him and other members of his unit, trying to get air lifted out of an area in which they came under enemy fire, one of the members had been injured as they returned fire trying to get him onto the heli the weapons began running dry(out of ammo) so he reached into his pack and pulled out his 1911 he had brought from home he fired the weapon and killed one of the enemy targets and the rest retreated, well when this video came about instead of getting a medal and sent on his merry way they DD'ed him for using a non military issued weapon and ammo, this is the stuff you don't hear about on the news

an analog if you want to go to a shooting range that is a no questions range then since your in Oak ridge head up to royal blue shooting range no questions no anything really pretty decent range altho it's outdoor me and my buddies do a lot of are tactical training there since it's rarely occupied but a lot of people

Guest Caveman
an analog if you want to go to a shooting range that is a no questions range then since your in Oak ridge head up to royal blue shooting range no questions no anything really pretty decent range altho it's outdoor me and my buddies do a lot of are tactical training there since it's rarely occupied but a lot of people

Grammar, punctuation, spelling and basic sentence structure may help people better understand you. :);)

so he reached into his pack and pulled out his 1911 he had brought from home he fired the weapon and killed one of the enemy targets and the rest retreated, well when this video came about instead of getting a medal and sent on his merry way they DD'ed him for using a non military issued weapon and ammo,

So what is the difference with this gun and a gun picked up off the streets and used by a US soldier or marine?

I ain't so sure about this story.

Guest GLOCKGUY
Grammar, punctuation, spelling and basic sentence structure may help people better understand you. ;):lol:

I just love Internet teachers, their about as bad as wannabe cops.

Guest Caveman
I just love Internet teachers, their about as bad as wannabe cops.

That is so weird, I am a wannabe cop too. I just got my HCP badge yesterday and I wear it everywhere I go.

Guest GLOCKGUY
That is so weird, I am a wannabe cop too. I just got my HCP badge yesterday and I wear it everywhere I go.

I'm sure this is so true and I bet you own an old police issued cop car?

I remember hearing G. Gordon Liddy when he was on the radio here in Nashville. He is a convicted felon and said that he could not own a firearm. However, he said his wife had quite a collection. I always wondered how he could live in the same house with them. I always thought that they could not be in same house with the guns.

I can sell you some Badge polish to keep it shiny. :lol:

Edited by vontar
replaced word tell with sell, Hey I worked 10 hours today, give me a break
Guest bkelm18
Not true at all I meet a guy a few years back at a gun show who Got DD, The reason for this came up a few months later when he showed me a video that a news crew had took of him the film showed him and other members of his unit, trying to get air lifted out of an area in which they came under enemy fire, one of the members had been injured as they returned fire trying to get him onto the heli the weapons began running dry(out of ammo) so he reached into his pack and pulled out his 1911 he had brought from home he fired the weapon and killed one of the enemy targets and the rest retreated, well when this video came about instead of getting a medal and sent on his merry way they DD'ed him for using a non military issued weapon and ammo, this is the stuff you don't hear about on the news

"Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

There are some rules in the military you just don't break. That's probably one of them. I'm sure a couple extra mags for a M9 weighs about the same as a 1911 and take up about the same amount of space.

From a Civilian point of View, a dead enemy and a live soilder no matter what weapon is a WIN.

I don't care if he used Piano wire.

It is dumb rules like that, that make people distrust our own government. When the rules of war are stacked against our troops the %#^%@#&*%$ING system is broken

Guest Plainsman

Where does it say that you must know X amount of information about a person before riding in the car with them? I don't ask everyone getting on an elevator with me if they are a felon before getting on myself.

Guest bkelm18
Where does it say that you must know X amount of information about a person before riding in the car with them? I don't ask everyone getting on an elevator with me if they are a felon before getting on myself.

Personally I'd like to know if a felon is riding in my car with me. But that's just me. :cheers:

Guest Plainsman
Personally I'd like to know if a felon is riding in my car with me. But that's just me. :cheers:

So if someone had a felony charge in the past, lets say something from 1980 which they received for having an excess of marijuana on their person. They are now 55 years old, a respectable person and haven't had any issues since you've known them. I'm supposed to quiz them before getting into the car?