Can I bring an ex-felon to the gun range?

Had a friend who knew I was into guns ask me about them a few weeks ago. They are concerned about crime in their neighborhood. They said they had never fired a gun before, and I offered to take them to the range. Then the topic changed to getting an HCP and I explained all the details. I kiddingly said you can't have had any felonies, and they told me they did, which surprised me. Did not ask what the felony was for, I don't think it matters. I will ask next time I see them, just to make sure it really is a felony and not a misdemeanor.

So, my question is, are they legally allowed to even fire a gun at the range? All the guns and ammo would be mine, they would just be using them under my supervision.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18

Pretty sure they are barred from even possessing a firearm. Not sure if that means owning one or merely having one in hand.

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Unlicensed Persons

Q: Are there certain persons who cannot legally receive or possess firearms and/or ammunition? Yes, a person who —

1. Has been convicted in any court of a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year;
  2. Is a fugitive from justice;
  3. Is an unlawful user of or addicted to any controlled substance;
  4. Has been adjudicated as a mental defective or has been committed to a mental institution;
  5. Is an alien illegally or unlawfully in the United States or an alien admitted to the United States under a nonimmigrant visa;
  6. Has been discharged from the Armed Forces under dishonorable conditions;
  7. Having been a citizen of the United States, has renounced his or her citizenship;
  8. Is subject to a court order that restrains the person from harassing, stalking, or threatening an intimate partner or child of such intimate partner; or
  9. Has been convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic violence
  10. Cannot lawfully receive, possess, ship, or transport a firearm.

A person who is under indictment or information for a crime punishable by imprisonment for a term exceeding 1 year cannot lawfully receive a firearm.

Such person may continue to lawfully possess firearms obtained prior to the indictment or information.

[18 U.S.C. 922(g) and (n), 27 CFR 478.32]

Guest TargetShooter84

That's just stupid that the military people can't own a gun if they've been dishonorably discharged.....not all the charges are that bad enough to barr them from owning a gun

Guest bkelm18
That's just stupid that the military people can't own a gun if they've been dishonorably discharged.....not all the charges are that bad enough to barr them from owning a gun

You have to be a royal ****-up to get a DD.

I think not being allowed to posses would include not having one in their hand.

As we've talked about in other threads, you don't even have to actually have it "on you" for it to be considered in your possession.

Guest TargetShooter84

I knew a guy that was in military and he was dishonorably discharged over something non-violent. Forgot the exact name of it but he was always constantly getting in fights but none of it involved weapons....and he got DD for it.

Guest Sgt. Joe
Had a friend who knew I was into guns ask me about them a few weeks ago. They are concerned about crime in their neighborhood. They said they had never fired a gun before, and I offered to take them to the range. Then the topic changed to getting an HCP and I explained all the details. I kiddingly said you can't have had any felonies, and they told me they did, which surprised me. Did not ask what the felony was for, I don't think it matters. I will ask next time I see them, just to make sure it really is a felony and not a misdemeanor.

So, my question is, are they legally allowed to even fire a gun at the range? All the guns and ammo would be mine, they would just be using them under my supervision.

My thoughts would be to take them to a range that provides rentals and have them do that. That way if there is any heat to come from it, it would be on the range and not on you. I have not paid real close attention at my range but it seems all they ask for is an ID and give a short safety briefing if the person has not ever shot there before. They may but I dont think they do any BG checks before allowing someone to rent and fire.

Find out more if you can about your friends prior problems and explain all this to them, as much as you probably want to help risking yourself isnt worth it.

I also agree one has to be a major F'up to get a Dishonorable, I have seem many that were Major F'ups walk away with a General rather than a DD. Of course anyone could encounter a Command structure that was out to ruin them for life and pump out a DD when it was not warranted. All in all I have seen very few DD's and may times that I felt they were deserved but ended up as Generals.

I knew a guy that was in military and he was dishonorably discharged over something non-violent. Forgot the exact name of it but he was always constantly getting in fights but none of it involved weapons....and he got DD for it.

Lets see, DD for always constantly getting in fights. Non-violent:tinfoil::stare: This exactly the type person who does not need any kind of firearm in his posesion let alone a HCP.

Like someone else mentioned, it takes a real FU to get a DD, or at least when I was in it did. Maybe the new military is different.

oldogy

Edited by oldogy
include all service branches
Guest bkelm18

Like someone else mentioned, it takes a real FU to get a DD, or at least when I was in it did. Maybe the new military is different.

oldogy

No, probably now it takes an even bigger F.U. to get a DD. I made my share of stupid decisions, even got sent up to the C.O. for NJP (Captain's Mast) and I still got an Honorable.

Anolog, why do you call this person an EX-Felon ad described in your post? I am not an attorney but from what I understand a felon is a felon. They lose two civil rights I know of. The right to own or possess firearms and the right to vote. Posses means you cannot have one in your house, car, or in your hand at the range. Basically you should not even touch one.

Persons convicted of minor felonies can go to court to have these rights restored after spending much money.

Any one convicted of the crime of domestic violence is also in this category. This is a misdemeanor that will cost you your right to own/ buy/ possess a firearm of any type. Don't slap your wife or live in girlfriend no matter how mad she makes you. YOU WILL lose your legal right to buy or possess a firearm.

Guest Phantom6
Because a DD or Bad conduct discharge is the same as a felony conviction.

You beat me to it. BTW, regarding the original post, there is no such thing as an ex Felon. Once you are convicted of a felony you are a convicted felon. It doesn't fade with time. An individual may not and hopefully will not participate in felonious activities but they are still and always a convicted felon (unless the sentance is reversed by the court).

Guest rockytop

I think they can be in big trouble if they are even caught with a round of ammo in their possession, and as Fallguy indicated, " possession " doesn't mean it has to be on their person.

Guest (BH)

No, no, and no. I too know a felon, and wish I could take him to the range. He's a good guy that had some problems in the past with a drug charge.

We looked into it, and it's a giant NO. He would definitely be in some serious trouble and whoever aided him in possessing a gun (whether constructive or physical) would most likely get in trouble as well.

I knew the "EX-Felon" thing would draw some comments as soon as I hit the post button. I know a felon is always a felon, it just makes me feel better about my friend. :D

Anyway, I think I'll get more details from them. I'm almost certain they have told me they voted before, so that means they probably have a misdemeanor. They did do a stint in jail, but that doesn't automatically mean felony.

Thanks for all the comments. If it turns out they are a felon, I'll graciously back out of my offer.

I knew a convicted felon who was letting me hunt on his land and we did some checking about 2 years ago and he was told he was alowed to have a black powder rifle of certian types only (dont remember which) and also could hunt with a bow or crossbow, I believe he had a talk with several people including a local judge and chief of police I think, small town everyone knows everyone, like him I would do my home work for myself .

Guest 70below

Interesting stuff. I have a coworker thats wanted to go shooting with me several times. He was dishonorably discharged back in the 70's from the navy. He got married, straightened himself out, and started a family. It wouldn't have even occurred to me that he couldn't possess a firearm because of it.

I have a friend that is also a convicted felon. This person occcasionally rides in my car with me, or I with them. I am always cc'ing, and although I don't broadcast it and it's not talked about, this person knows me well enough to know that I most likely have my gun on me. Could this person get in trouble if we were pulled over and the officer found out that I had a gun and that my friend was a felon?

Interesting about renting guns, though.

I've never rented one, but wondering if you FFLs that do that run a TICS and that's part of the rental price?

- OS

It's not a transfer of the weapon... renting of firearms is allowed in most states. I know a bunch of guys who go on hunting trips and 'rent' a shotgun as part of the package so they don't have to drag they shotgun through the airport.

I have a friend that is also a convicted felon. This person occcasionally rides in my car with me, or I with them. I am always cc'ing, and although I don't broadcast it and it's not talked about, this person knows me well enough to know that I most likely have my gun on me. Could this person get in trouble if we were pulled over and the officer found out that I had a gun and that my friend was a felon?

Interesting question - I have a similar situation with an old friend.

Just my opinion.....as long as the weapon is physically on your person, probably not. But if it was in the center console or anywhere where he could reach it, it is very possible.