Stoopy didn't clean his Mosin

Angus

Ok, I got my mosin, I shot and cleaned my mosin..then shot it again and was going to clean it when I got home when I got called into work. 3 days later I went into the hospital to have my appendix out, and here I am 1 month later, and took the gun out to find rust all over the end of the barrel.

My question is, has anyone used CLR on their Mosin, or what would be best to get her all cleaned up?

John

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest smileyguy

That sucks man. I've never had that problem. Maybe some naval jelly or bore paste? I don't know. It may do more harm than good. Hopefully an older and wiser member will have a solution. I'm interested in the responses JIC it ever happens to me. Good luck.

Guest Straight Shooter

I tell you what I would do with mine, if that happened.

id start with several patches soaked with plain old WD40. Keep pushing them in until the vast majority of the red stuff stopped coming out.

Then Id switch to a bore cleaner like Hoppes or my favorite, Tetra Gun Solvent. I push some of that thru several times, along with a nylon brush several times, clean it out with a couple dry patches, then soak it, and leave it for the rest of today. Come back tonight and dry the bore out, and see where you are from there.

Thats what I would do.

Guest jimdigriz
Ok, I got my mosin, I shot and cleaned my mosin..then shot it again and was going to clean it when I got home when I got called into work. 3 days later I went into the hospital to have my appendix out, and here I am 1 month later

I run a bore snake with Hoppe's #9 before I leave the range. That way, even if I don't get a chance to clean more thoroughly after I get home, the barrel will still be good.

Guest smileyguy
I run a bore snake with Hoppe's #9 before I leave the range. That way, even if I don't get a chance to clean more thoroughly after I get home, the barrel will still be good.

I do a little range cleaning when I shoot corrosive ammo in my mosins. I squirt a lot of windex down the barrel followed by a couple of patches to get the corrosive salts out. Then I go heavy with some WD-40 to drive the water out and provide some rust protection, unti I get home for my regular cleaning routine.

Question: Is the rust just at the end of the barrel, or is the inside of the bore rusted as well?

If you haven't already, it may be a good idea to inspect the bore, especially if you were shooting corrosive ammo.

Edited by smileyguy

Well, got her cleaned finally. I did use CLR, and boy did it work. I would not recommend using it regularly, but I poured some (about 1/4 cup) right down the barrel and man did the rust dissolve. I got a small drop on the outside of the receiver, and it took the bluing off pretty quick too.

Anyone who is curious about cleaning their Mosin.......don't let it sit for 6 weeks....trust me. The Windex right after you shoot, and a good cleaning when you get home is the only way to go.

John

I think most of the folks here are glazing over the question...OP specified CLR -not- CLP One cleans your guns and one is cleans your bathtub. There is a humongous difference between these products.

Yes....it will eat away the rust, but it will also eat away the bluing. I would try to remove mechanically then cover with oil first. Since the bore isn't blued - your method might be perfect for that application.

I know what CLR is and thought OP might have been crazy at first :), but in hindsight sounded like a decent idea. Don't know that I would never do it.

Of course it will take blue off, blue is a kind of rust. Same goes for navel jelly or any "rust" remover. Gotta be carefull with that stuff.

1.) Wouldn't shooting it again knock most of the rust out?

2.) And you guys have some strange cleaning habits. I just run some hot water down the chamber end in my kitchen sink (about 1-2 hours after I get home from the range) , push a couple of dry patches to get the water out and then run some wet patches (Hoppes no. 9 oil) through until it is relatively clean. My bore has no pitting at all and has well over 800 rounds of Bulgarian surplus through it. I never used a brush yet and accuracy (for a Mosin anyway...) has not degraded too bad to notice.

100_1811.jpg

Edited by LA_357SIG
add pic and hoppes

Yep...thanks Pie, I know the difference between em, and yes the rust got so bad I used CLR. Kinda sucks that I had to, but I did, and I would not reccomend to anyone letting their firearm get this bad.

John...."OP"