Things you see when u dont have a gun!

Guest Conrad

Guest Conrad

I have some private property i can hunt in Polk County there are deer bear and wild hogs on this property. Anyway a couple of weeks ago i went over there to see if i could find a hog wollowing in one of the mud hole on the property since it was so hot. While i was an my way to one of the wallows i saw something move out of the corner of my eye so i turned to my left and saw a tall tree swaying however there was no wind. upon closer inspection there was a medium size black bear up in that tree. the tree was a bout 50 yards away. I watched the bear for a few seconds and then it saw me. Well yogi about fell out of the tree trying to get down. it was even snorting and blowing in alarm i guess. I did not know what the intentions of the bear was and since i was in very thick cover i back into an open area and had my rifle in one hand and my 45 cocked and locked in the other. I didnt want to have to shoot him but if i had i would have. Thank good he did not want anything to do with me and i heard him crashing through the woods the other way. I had to sit for a few minutes.

Today i wanted to show my family where i saw the bear so i was able to drive to the spot and keep everybody safe in the car. when we got to the spot where i was standing there was a HUGE pile of bear poop. This area is covered in blackberrys and that is why the bears are there.

We did not see a bear but as we were driving down on of the other roads on the property we drove within about 30 yards of a heard of 10 wild hogs. 1 boar about 150 lbs 2 sows about the same size and 7 babys about 30 pounds they still had there brown and black stripped skin but were starting to turn black. this was the first time wife and 2 sons had ever seen a wild hog and they thought it was really cool. As i said in the OP I didnt have a gun with me however i will be back in the morning waiting for them. I probably will not see anything thing..Like i said The things you see when u dont have a gun or out of season.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Conrad

Well i went back this morning,I sat and walked around for 5 hours with two guns, a rifle and a sidearm and saw nothing but tracks and where the hogs had been rootin but there was no animals to be found anywhere.

Guest Conrad

To "roverboy" where is moss tn? and if you have coyotes in your pastures bring a dog with you on your walks and the coyotes may show themselves to investigate they dont like other dogs in their territory bring your gun and you might get a shot.

Conrad, I used to have a Curr/Black and Tan cross. He hated yotes and they hated him, but I could never get a shot. I was with him on a couple occasions when I was packing. I was either to far away or was afraid I'd hit the dog. Moss is in Clay County. Celina is the County seat. Moss is about 12 miles from Celina across the Cumberland River.

Edited by roverboy
Guest Conrad

I did google where MOss was.. way up there i live down here in Cleveland just north of Chattanooga. Good to hear the decoy dog was working for you. I have a friend looking to get rid of a Curr/Walker he usually just coon hunts him but i guess he is aggressive toward other male dogs so he doesnt pack hunt well and i have heard that Currs absolutely hate coyotes. Just bread in them i guess.

I saw this big fella this past weekend on a hike through Rough Ridge which is not far north of Grandfather Mtn. in NC.

smokies0710030b.jpg

The trail is below and just to the left of that rocky outcrop. I had just been through there a minute before it showed up. I stopped to eat a few of these blueberries....which were all over the ridge. I guess the bear didn't appreciate it too much. I wasn't exactly unarmed though, I had my .357 SP101 but it never made a threatening move, just huffed at me a bit.

smokies0710028.jpg

Guest Conrad

Wow that is awesome i hope to see one like that during hunting season The bear i seen a few weeks ago and all the tracks in the area is because of all the blackberries ripening up and they are gorging themselves. Is that in NC and do they allow hunting in that area?

It was on the Tanawha trail which I believe is in the Pisgah National Forest (North Carolina), but it's awfully close to the Blue Ridge Parkway (National Park) on one side and Grandfather Mtn. (privately owned) on the other. So the short answer is I don't know if hunting is allowed there or not. Tanawha Trail Map

Here's another pic:

smokies0710029b.jpg