CSH Custom 22/45

Folks,

Here is another harebrained project of mine.

Folks,

It ain't pretty but it is a pretty decent .22LR pistol.

1. Handfitted LOP and cant adjustable Bob Marvel Custom trigger with no pre or overtravel breaks at 2.3lbs like a glass rod.

2. Frame radiused to accomadate the famous Marvel trigger in a MKIII 22/45 when the trigger was orginally made for a MKII steel gun.

4. All friction internal parts polished.

5. Volquartsent sear installed.

6. MKIII trigger disconnect apparatus removed.

7. MKII hammer installed.

8. bolt and interior ofreceiver lightly polished with 2000 grit sandpaper

9. Weigand scope mount installed.

10. Matchdot 2-8 MOA by Ultradot installed.

11. Hogue Handall secured by double sided carpet tape with rear section cutout to accommodate MK series takedown lever.

12. Frame's trigger access areas around trigger guard further radiused to remove edges and to improve smooth trigger finger operation both left and right.

CSHCustom2245.jpg

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I shot at 3.25lbs with a Voquartsen pre and overtravel trigger and it was alright, but not anything to write home about. Next weekend I am going to see if a couple of retired 50m bullseye shooters will give it a try. Just trying to take the MKIII 22/45 to its potential.

Craig

nice. I believe its hard/impossible to get the MkIII's to that point where you are completely wowed... You can make it a light trigger but you can't get that crisp, clean break that separates the good from the great.

I've got the Clark trigger to try but I need to file the trigger pin hole out some before I can install it. I'm hoping that takes care of most of my pretravel.

byrnemm,

I had one MKII that I had breaking crisp at 1.75lbs but an older former member of the Army Marksmanship team talked me out of that one. I primarily wanted to try working on a 22/45 and this one was available at the right price. The newer VQ hammers with external pre and over travel adjustments work, but I love the Marvel trigger. The Marvel takes more work to set up right. I suspect that if one would handfit hammer, sear and trigger pins along with sear and hammer work a person could get nearly a wow factor out of a Ruger. Frankly I get more fun out of trying to turn a sow's ear into a slightly better sow's ear than buying a Pardini, Walther GSP or other Euro pistol. The Euro pistols have their place, as does a S&W 41, but the Ruger design is pretty good for about 98% of anything a person wants to do with a .22LR pistol. Ruger MK guns are pretty neat and I think iconic to American gun design.

My biggest beef with the MKIII 22/45 is that I don't like the grip and it is hard to do much do it other than add 1911-like slabs, which I am not interested in. I like the old style of 22/45 grip much better.

Guest Law of Thirds

Yes, I have one of the new 22/45's and it can take 1911 grip panels, although you'll need to modify them slightly, the butt of the gun is rounded slightly and the sharp edges around the cutout for the mainspring housing pin will dig into your palm if you don't round them off.