An observation on Hispanics

The other day I went to my gunsmith Sam in Gallatin to pick up a Browning Hi-Power

he did some trigger work for me. On the way down Hwy 109 I decided to stop at a little gas station to get a drink. When I went outside my car wouldn't start.

I had jumper cables. I asked three different people (Anglo-American) for help. Not one of them did. First one stated they could not because they weren't in their truck, second stated they were late to a appointment and the third ignored me completely.

A little while latter two Hispanic men pulled up. Upon getting out of their car they saw my hood up and asked if I needed help. They helped get my car started and followed me to Autozone in Mt Juliet to make sure I got there OK. It was only a battery and not a alternator.

I tried to buy them lunch and they would have nothing to do with it. Needless to say my faith in people went down a bit. I was thankful to these two men because I was in the middle of nowhere.

BTW I was in the uniform of a US Army 1SG and I am 52 years old, so I hope I didn't look scary.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are good and bad people of every race. I'm truly not trying to brag or look down my nose on anybody, but I've done the exact same thing, and refused payment when the man offered money. I mean, it's just a boost people shouldn't be asking for money for that.

BTW I was in the uniform of a US Army 1SG and I am 52 years old, so I hope I didn't look scary.

It's bad enough anyone would not try to help you, but one of our own service men?

Unbelievable.

Thanks for your service.

Guest 6.8 AR

Yeh, I agree with Tony Scalia:D

Kindness also shows up in unique packages. I hope your hispanics were

legals. Definitely good of them either way.

I've been on both sides of the dead battery problem before. If there's not a reason not to stop, I'll try to help.

Many years ago while on weekend pass from Ft Gordon my car had a problem. A local guy tried to help and then pulled my car to his backyard shop to make a repair.

The only time I didn't help someone with a battery problem is because I was driving my buddy's truck and neither one of use had jumper cables. I keep cables in my vehicle but like I said, it was my buddy's truck.

Guest bkelm18

I've been in a similar situation. Ended up I fixed the problem myself since I knew what it was, but the only person that actually came up to me and asked if I needed some help was an older fellow with a strong eastern European accent. There's good and bad in every race/nationality.

I understand the good/bad with all analogy. I haven't even discussed the number of people that came and went while I was on the phone with my wife/wrecker service after I had given up on asking.

This observation continues even of the work that has been done at my house since I have been at home on leave. The work done by contractors that had Hispanics was superb compared to the others that was down right problematic. I am no fan of illegals. I used all local contractors that were bonded and insured.

There's good and bad in everyone depending on which area you're in. As I've mentioned before on here some of my good friends are Hispanics and they would be more than willing to help someone in need. However I've been on the other side of this as well back when I was driving a truck and was trying to get unloaded in a plant just outside of town. I was told to go to where the fork truck was and have someone there unload me. Oddly enough, all of the hispanics that were around the fork truck (and obviously had been using it for what they were doing) suddenly could not speak english. I had strap everything back down and drive back to the office, where I was told that they do in fact speak english and must just be too lazy to do it, so the foreman had to come unload my truck.

Situations like yours are also why I don't think I could ever move to another town. I've broken down several times over the years, flat tires, all sorts of things, and have never had to walk or even wait for more than 5 minutes or so before someone stopped (and that was only on rural roads that didn't have much traffic). Heck, on one occasion I had a tire blow out, and by the time I got to the side of the road and opened my door to get out a guy had already turned around and came back to help me. I didn't have a spare, so the guy brought me all the way in to work and wouldn't take a dime as payment. These days though, I seem to know alot of people in this area and chances are real good that if I break down the next car that comes down the road will be somebody I know. Either way, I don't think I could ever be in such a rush that I would leave someone stranded anywhere if there is a slim chance that I may be able to help them out.

Guest drv2fst

I know stereotypes are bad but here it goes. In my opinion first or second generation immigrants from any other country are some of the best Americans we have. After the second generation they get too spoiled just like the rest of us and their good/bad ratio is no different than any other American subset.

I think legal immigration is very beneficial to this country. It's only illegal immigration that is a problem.

Not sure what this has to do with race other than coincidence. If you had been in Harlem it could have been completely different. ;) AS far as the allusion to illegals, the fact remains that the largest portion of illegals now crossing are of the lowest common denominator, thus the stereotypes tend to be earned.

I will say that our culture has changed dramatically from a helpful service oriented one to one of what's in it from me. I'm reminded everytime I go to a store and am surprised if someone smile or says hello. Generally I get the feeling I'm inconveniencing the checkout people with my presence.

Guest uofmeet

My truck is a manual, i just need a hill.......lol

But I always keep a pair of cables in my truck. And I will help jump almost anyone off if i had the ability.

Guest db99wj
the ones who would not help should be ashamed of themselves.

I cannot imagine helping anyone who did not look outright threatening, to not help a serviceman in uniform is unthinkable.

No kidding.

Reminds me, I don't have any in my Jeep, had some in the old Jeep when I traded, had to go back a week later and get them, they didn't lift the back cover over the spare, not sure what happened to them, they might be in my shop. They were cheap, need to get some more.

Guest friesepferd

legal immigrants (from any country) are some of the most helpful americans i know.

color of skin has nothing do to with anything, but upbringing and what one has been through in life certainly does

What kind of person can't take a few minutes out of their day to help a member of the armed services? And in general help someone in need. It just blows my mind that they wouldn't help a man in uniform. What the hell is wrong with people? Rant off.

I would have helped a man in uniform in a heartbeat. I'll usually help most anyone. Yesterday I had an opportunity to help a guy that was at the bottom of the ramp to I-24W at Haywood Lane. I didn't stop because he was acting like he was high on something. He was not just simply trying to wave down some help but he was out in the road jumping and yelling and waving his arms and holding his hand to the side of his head as if he wanted to use a cell phone. I was armed as always but I didn't see a car and my wife was with me. Even though he was rather well dressed something about the situation said to just drive on by. I may have been wrong but just wasn't willing this time to take the chance.

I got the finger! Wasn't the first and probably won't be the last either.

I never allow anyone to pay me when I do stop to do a favor. As far as I'm concerned once you accept a payment it ceases to be a favor and it also takes the enjoyment out of doing someone a favor!

I was really surprised one day in Baton Rouge, LA while driving. Traffic at one intersection was particularly bad even for BR. I get closer to the light and realize that it's because someone's car broke down right in front of the light. I parked my car across the street came back over, and asked him if he needed help. He said AAA was on it's way, but I told him we better move it to the nearby parking lot anyway just so the AAA guy doesn't have to try in hook it up in the middle of a busy crowded intersection. Even when 5 minutes out of their day would've eased traffic for THEMSELVES and practically the entire city, people just sat there in gridlock, probably cursing him under their breath even though he just had a spot of bad luck.

I just got this in the South Precinct Crime report from my councilman

* Robbery *

Robbery @ I 24 W & Briley Pkwy. The victim said he was flagged down on I 24 W at 7:30 am by a male white(suspect). The suspect approached victim and pointed a hand gun at him. The suspect took twenty dollars from the victim. The suspect was arrested a short time later on the Interstate. This suspect is notorious for standing by broken down cars on and around I-24, flagging down motorists and bumming money for gas when the vehicles aren't even his.

This sounds like the guy I saw the other day.

Be careful!