Need some help with the ACOG on my SCAR Light

Forgive the somewhat silly/simple post but I need some help.

I purchased a used ACOG TA33-9 from a private party to use on my SCAR light and after taking it to the range for the first time with the ACOG I'm wondering if there is either something terribly wrong with the ACOG (seems unlikely - I have all the original paperwork, case, etc. and there is nothing obviously wrong with it) or something terribly wrong with how I was going about trying to use it (which frankly, seems a lot more likely).

For a little bit of background, while I've shot rifles before, the SCAR is the fist rifle I've ever personally owned and I've never before used optics or tied to zero a scope. Most of my rifle experience prior to the SCAR was with an M1 Garand and an M14 (eight years active duty USN).

At the range this past weekend I was only shooting at 50 yards and perhaps that is part of my problem but the bottom line is that I could shoot decent groups with the iron sites but even using a "Led Sled" (first time for that as well) with the ACOG and I never put a single round on target.

I've talked with customer service at Trijicon and they suggested that if the ACOG is significantly off center (which it might be) one way to bring it back to near center/zero is to turn both adjustment screws all the way to the stop in the direction of the arrows, then turn them back all the way counting how many clicks it took...divide the number of clicks in half and then them back the other direction by that number of clicks (hope that makes sense).

I will be going back to the range this weekend but I can't shake the feeling that I'm missing some critical yet simple step that is causing my problems.

If anyone has any suggestions, links, etc. I would certainly appreciate them and if anyone is interested, I'm likely going to go back to the range at the Montgomery County Shooting Complex on Sunday (assuming they are open!).

Thanks!!!

Edited by RobertNashville
  • Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If it was zeroed for a different platform it probably just needs to be reset and zeroed for the SCAR. I like the little ammo case lasers to get me on paper and then dial it in with live ammo.

Firefield Laser Boresighter, Scopes, Sightmark at Sportsman's Guide

or

Osprey Laser Boresighter, Scopes, Osprey, Boresighter Arbors Rem Win Osprey at Sportsman's Guide

I've thought about a laser boresight but, not to be too stupid, are these things bright enough to use at an outdoor range in bright sunshine or would I need to start at an indoor range???

Guest drv2fst

Another SCAR fan in Murfreesboro. My SCAR is quickly becoming my favorite rifle. It hits so good (100-300 meters) with the standard "iron" sights that I have hesitated to put any optics on it. Try what they said and let us know.

if your 'led sled' is good and stable and has straps you could always take the scope off, take a shot with the irons at say 25yd and with the same poa put your scope back on and dial it to the shot placement and that would 'roughly' get your poi at least on paper to be fine tuned. May not be the most proficient means of accomplishing this but i've done something similar a few times.

I've thought about a laser boresight but, not to be too stupid, are these things bright enough to use at an outdoor range in bright sunshine or would I need to start at an indoor range???

If you use the 37/50 yrd range it's fine. You can even do it at home and the go to the range and use ammo from there. The ones that stick in the end of the barrel have not worked for me. Too much wiggle. The lasers won't get out much further than 50 especially in bright sunlight.

Do you have a ten meter or so hallway in your house? Turn the lights out & put a target up. Measure the distance from barrel to middle of optic. Make a second mark on the target that difference above the original target bullseye. Adjust your sight to the higher dot.

Start at 25yrds, use a large piece of cardboard to see where you are hitting,

fire at least 3 shots at a time to get a group so your not trying to adjust for flyers flinching etc.

Once your happy at 25yrds move out to a farther distance. I assume this is 5.56 you will need to decide at what range you want the final zero to be at. This will depend on what you intend to do with it as the flight path of the bullet will be zeroed at 2 different ranges.

I usually do a battle zero with an AR, a zero at 25 meters will coincide with a 300 meter zero & everything in between will only be off slightly in elevation but that is just my preference.

I appreciate all the input and the great suggestions!

It doesn't look as if I'll have a boresight before the weekend so I won't be able to try that right away but I will still likely go back to the range on Sunday and start at the 25 yard mark and to have some fun!

Other then the fun of shooting this (and yes, it is a 5.56) my primary purpose for this is as my home defense gun. As such, I don't have a critical need for the ACOG at all yet alone that it be perfectly zeroed. However, ultimately, I would still like to have it zeroed at least at the 100 M mark.