I agree that the badges that appear as LEO type badges are a very bad idea. And any badge or identification that can be had by anyone is also a bad idea. But what happens when a BG starts something where there is say more than one permit holder and off duty LEOs? What my fear is that I am the first to react, then the remaining permit holders or off duty LEOs start reacting on me. I don't know what the solution is, but this is a very real concern with more and more people obtaining permits.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest nraforlife
I agree that the badges that appear as LEO type badges are a very bad idea. And any badge or identification that can be had by anyone is also a bad idea. But what happens when a BG starts something where there is say more than one permit holder and off duty LEOs? What my fear is that I am the first to react, then the remaining permit holders or off duty LEOs start reacting on me. I don't know what the solution is, but this is a very real concern with more and more people obtaining permits.

Hadn't thought about that scenario. Newspapers would love it though. Think about the headlines, Permit Holders and Local Police in deadly shoot-out, BG escapes in the carnage. No real solution to your scenario happening other than pray it doesn't. Hopefully everyone will know who the BG is otherwise well....

well see, anything can happen in the heat of a gunfight. If a police officer is present he/she should have intervened to protect citizens first, if lives were in peril. A police officer will identify themselves as such. Remember deadly force is only authorized if there is an immediate threat to you or a third person. So if another armed person gets involved, are they a threat to you, and when they say they are police... you need to withdraw and let them take care of the situation. I'd tell them at the fist moment you could that you are a permit holder and the BG just tried to kill/rob you. Let that be known immediately.

But it isnt going to do you any good to have a badge on... any idiot can get a badge, and honestly cops can almost always tell who's another cop. Its a look they have. What happens if your in the midst of a gunfight, and the Policeman thinks your a cop... then starts yelling out tactical commands in "cop talk".. what then, you will look like a deer in the head lights. In any event reaching for a permit badge is just liable to get you shot, or will take your attention off of the threat. If you are dumb enough to wear the "Permit Badge" in the open, then you will have probably lost the gunfight before it starts... you will probably be the first victim.

See if the BG has the ability to do physical harm he will be very quick and deliberate, you wont know what has happened until its too late. If he sees a badge, its not necessarily going to stop him. It will honestly probably make him take you out first. The thing you guys are forgetting is criminals dont respect the police like they used to, so brandishing a badge does nothing but paint a target on yourself. Thus the reason police dont wear them out in the open when off duty or in plain cloths.

Edited by GLOCKMEISTER

I agree in general that a badge won't help you. But I think what Flyboy was trying to say is....You are in whatever crowded environment you're in....you hear a gun shot, you take cover and draw. The BG comes your way and is about to shoot someone right in front of you. You take aim and prepare to stop him.....about that time the police come around the corner. This has all happened, quick no one has called 9-1-1 with a description, you haven't had time to call 9-1-1 to report your presence on the scene. How does the LEO know who's who? Hey "may" take into consideration you have taken cover and the BG is out in the open, but he may not.

I think what I would do if I saw the LEO come on to the scene and it was where I safely could I would put my weapon down, remain behind cover and show him my empty hands. But what if I didn't see him? What if he is in plain clothes and for whatever reason didn't announce that he was a LEO.

It's really one of those situations there is no good or right answer.

your correct. Actually several years back ... here in Goodlettsville... Goodlettsville PD was called to Rivergate mall on a shots fired call. When the GPD officer got there he saw two men in a shootout, he assumed the guy that looked like a BG was indeed that and he shot him... turns out that was the undercover FBI agent, the other guy in the suit was the drug dealer.

So yes it can happen.

Guest dotsun

Sooo if the FBI dude had a badge that was concealed and he still got shot, then we should wear an HCP badge exposed to prevent that? I'm sorry but despite the overwhelmingly convincing anecdotal evidence and hypotheticals to the contrary, I'll take my chances without a badge. :blush:

IMHO, the downside to having one is way higher than wearing one, especially if the thought is it needs to be exposed or waved around in the non gun hand like Barney Fife on Meth if one finds themselves in a self defense shooting. "It's ok folks, I have an HCP!"

Sooo if the FBI dude had a badge that was concealed and he still got shot, then we should wear an HCP badge exposed to prevent that? I'm sorry but despite the overwhelmingly convincing anecdotal evidence and hypotheticals to the contrary, I'll take my chances without a badge. :blush:

IMHO, the downside to having one is way higher than wearing one, especially if the thought is it needs to be exposed or waved around in the non gun hand like Barney Fife on Meth if one finds themselves in a self defense shooting. "It's ok folks, I have an HCP!"

NO... Eyeroller.. I think you may have misunderstood my intentions thru this whole thread. Im strongly against the wearing of any badge by any civilian.

what would an example of this be. just askin....

I mostly want one so everybody at our shoots can have a good laugh. At least that way I will know why they are laughing at me.

well, im not going to go into specifics... just start yelling out colors... that should get a laugh from a few folks.

just start yelling out colors... that should get a laugh from a few folks.

sort of like "bam bam bam, navy blue, bam bam bam, lavender, bam bam bam,

teal, bam bam bam, red ....." like that?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

You know what?

I suspect that the most likely thing that will happen to someone with a concealed carry badge is that they are going to look very silly. I also suspect they will eventually feel very foolish and embarrassed for having worn one.

Guest jackdog
I'd like to see THAT one on youtube.....

revenge of the mall ninja..

That would be a laugh riot and a half. I suspect it will happen sooner than later.

I suppose that my previous comment may have upset some folks, but think about it guys and gals, A badge....please give me a break

Guest canynracer
You know what?

I suspect that the most likely thing that will happen to someone with a concealed carry badge is that they are going to look very silly. I also suspect they will eventually feel very foolish and embarrassed for having worn one.

well if it were that, and you wore it so people can see it...then you cant open carry, just the badge should be seen...LOL...

That would be a laugh riot and a half. I suspect it will happen sooner than later.

I suppose that my previous comment may have upset some folks, but think about it guys and gals, A badge....please give me a break

Nah...didn't offend me....I just tend not to be hard on folks...lol

Wonder what the production cost would be on "Revenge of the Mall Ninja" and who we can get to star in it? :blush: