I want a Pepper Box Revolver

Bare with me on this,

based on wife gets a ticket in bama.

I want to get a Pepper Box Revolver, maybe a replica.

If I get pulled over, it would surely confuse the LEO that wants to unload it.

I guess the caps could be removed, but might make him forget about the idea of a ticket.

I searched on line, found a few kits I could build me one for fun. I probably won't ever do it.

BTW, I didn't just post this because of the other thread, I had been thinking about this since I saw the Pawn Stars Show where he traded for the Pepper Box Revolver and reading about other people not liking to have to unload their guns.

I could image the conversation, sir, could you please unload your firearm.

Sir, It would be illegal for me to unload it in side city limits as I can only unload it by firing it. May we put it in a safe location?

Edited by vontar
Added the last section.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bare with me on this,

based on wife gets a ticket in bama.

I want to get a Pepper Box Revolver, maybe a replica.

If I get pulled over, it would surely confuse the LEO that wants to unload it.

I guess the caps could be removed, but might make him forget about the idea of a ticket.

I searched on line, found a few kits I could build me one for fun. I probably won't ever do it.

BTW, I didn't just post this because of the other thread, I had been thinking about this since I saw the Pawn Stars Show where he traded for the Pepper Box Revolver and reading about other people not liking to have to unload their guns.

I could image the conversation, sir, could you please unload your firearm.

Sir, It would be illegal for me to unload it in side city limits as I can only unload it by firing it. May we put it in a safe location?

I don't know you that well. I think I'll stay clothed.

When I was in school, reading, writing, and spelling where not my best subjects.

Under The Code, I am DEALING WITH IT. IE spell check didn't catch it, and as far as I know there is no IE grammar Check, so you can deal with it too. :bowrofl:

I am not going to run every post though MS word.

However, looking at the Kits, my wife seems to like the idea of me trying my hand at some kits. However before I even attempt that, when I get ready, I will certainly be asking for direct advise on brands and other recommendations.

The only Kits I would have any interst in, would be like class guns that one could actually build and use.

Edited by vontar
When I was in school, reading, writing, and spelling where not my best subjects.

Under The Code, I am DEALING WITH IT. IE spell check didn't catch it, and as far as I know there is no IE grammar Check, so you can deal with it too. :hiding:

I am not going to run every post though MS word.

However, looking at the Kits, my wife seems to like the idea of me trying my hand at some kits. However before I even attempt that, when I get ready, I will certainly be asking for direct advise on brands and other recommendations.

The only Kits I would have any interst in, would be like class guns that one could actually build and use.

A Little Poem Regarding Computer Spell Checkers...

Eye halve a spelling chequer

It came with my pea sea

It plainly marques four my revue

Miss steaks eye kin knot sea.

Eye strike a key and type a word

And weight four it two say

Weather eye am wrong oar write

It shows me strait a weigh.

As soon as a mist ache is maid

It nose bee fore two long

And eye can put the error rite

Its rare lea ever wrong. Eye have run this poem threw it

I am shore your pleased two no

Its letter perfect awl the weigh

My chequer tolled me sew.

The kits are like models to some. When I was a kid I liked both and built a few blackpowder kits. Back then you could buy them at department stores that sold guns. It was what probably got me into guns more than anything because I could buy those long before any others, I think I got my first one when I was probably 8 or 9. As far as quality goes I would say most are about the same after all this is 100+ year old technology and the companies whould have it down by now. You will still have to sand and smooth metal and wood if it is a true kit. Some kits are already finished and all you have to do is put the together but to me there is no fun in that.

My thoughts on it

Dolomite

By quality, I mean what I would be looking at would be ones you coudl put together and actually shoot and not worry about blowing up in your face.

I would not mind a some finishing work on them as that would just add some character to it.

I probalby won't get into that until this fall/winter when the weather turns when I start looking for things to do inside.

I think I remember seeing some blackpowder handgun kits at Walmart back when I was a kid. In fact, unless I am mistaken, they had some full-sized revolver kits. Of course, that was when they still sold modern handguns, too. I the time when Walmart was Walmart and wasn't trying to be Kroger.

I always 'fantasized' about getting one and building it back then. I still think I probably will try putting together some kind of blackpowder gun from a kit one day - maybe soon. Not sure if it will be a revolver or muzzle-loading pistol, though.

Oh, and as for spell checkers, I kind of like the saying, "Spell checkers don't know shirt."

Call walmart and ask if they have any ammo for a 22 pistol, they will tell you no on the phone, they will normally be real jerks about it. Ask if they have 22 Rifle ammo and they will tell you they have all you need. Even though it is the same dam ammo.

It is because Walmart seems to have an anti pistol policy or something. I am not exactly sure but I have been in the story and watched the employee on the phone with a person, and the employee would repeat back enough so I knew what the person wanted.

Call walmart and ask if they have any ammo for a 22 pistol, they will tell you no on the phone, they will normally be real jerks about it. Ask if they have 22 Rifle ammo and they will tell you they have all you need. Even though it is the same dam ammo.

It is because Walmart seems to have an anti pistol policy or something.

Could be - but my guess would be that some of the people working in some Walmart Sporting Goods departments simply don't know that much about firearms and don't realize that '.22 Long Rifle' ammunition will work in some pistols, too. After all, it says 'Long Rifle' right there on the box. I've called various Walmart locations looking for ammo that is generally used more in handguns than rifles (9mm, .38 Special, etc.) and when they had it in stock they have told me so. Of course, it could also be something that is specific to certain Walmart locations - or even to the politics of certain Sporting Goods employees and nothing to do with Walmart policy.

BTW, your thread got me thinking about a pepperbox, again, so I started looking to see what might be available. This kit, available from Dixie Gun Works, looks interesting and for $127 might not be a bad place to start:

http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_162_194&products_id=867

The blurb says that the kit is skill level 1 or something like that so I am assuming that means it is one of the easier kits to assemble. Of course, we all know what happens when we assume.

Edited by JAB
Guest Jamie
By quality, I mean what I would be looking at would be ones you coudl put together and actually shoot and not worry about blowing up in your face.

I would not mind a some finishing work on them as that would just add some character to it.

I probalby won't get into that until this fall/winter when the weather turns when I start looking for things to do inside.

From Mark Twain, a bit concerning pepperbox revolvers:

George Bemis was our fellow-traveler.

We had never seen him before. He wore in his belt an old original "Allen" revolver, such as irreverent people called a "pepper-box." Simply drawing the trigger back, cocked and fired the pistol. As the trigger came back, the hammer would begin to rise and the barrel to turn over, and presently down would drop the hammer, and away would speed the ball. To aim along the turning barrel and hit the thing aimed at was a feat which was probably never done with an "Allen" in the world. But George's was a reliable weapon, nevertheless, because, as one of the stage-drivers afterward said, "If she didn't get what she went after, she would fetch something else." And so she did. She went after a deuce of spades nailed against a tree, once, and fetched a mule standing about thirty yards to the left of it. Bemis did not want the mule; but the owner came out with a double-barreled shotgun and persuaded him to buy it, anyhow. It was a cheerful weapon--the "Allen." Sometimes all its six barrels would go off at once, and then there was no safe place in all the region round about, but behind it.

J.

Per TWRA, "A muzzleloader is considered to be unloaded if the cap is removed from the nipple." Don't know if there are similar laws in other states.

Also, antique and black powder firearms are exempt from federal regulation, FWIW.