Coal Creek Armory helped me decide on my next CCW...

Guest MoonMan

Guest MoonMan

Stopped by and rented some guns today in the .40 cal. Tried out the glock23, 27 and springfield subcompact xd40. The Xd-40 tore up on me and had a FTE issue with it. I had to get someone to come out and look at it becuase I wasn't about to investigate a non-familiar gun. Well apparently the piece that kicks out the spent shell broke so I only got 15 shots with it. The 27 started out with me shooting all over the place but I ended up keeping pretty good control, just not what I really wanted and didn't feel confident in it. Then the 23 came out and it felt good naturally and I shot great with it. So now I'm just waiting for mid oct to come and I will hopefully have me a 23 as my new CCW and will use my j frame as a backup. I would like to say that Coal Creek gave me a+ service and was very helpful and polite. The prices were a little steep, but the service that they gave me will probably override paying a little more when purchase time comes.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad you had a good experience there. It seems like I had nothing but jerks help me out when I would go in. Hopefully that has changed and maybe I will give them another try. The 23 (as you will soon find by other posters) is a great gun. Hope you enjoy it.

Don't rule out the XD40sc just yet. Remember, those rental guns take a lot of abuse and have probably been in the showcase for quite some time. I own the XD9sc and have never had an issue with it nor with my 4" springer service model. You will take better care of your gun than they most likely take care of the rentals. Those rentals most likely don't get cleaned after ever shooter finishes with them, you on the other hand will most likely clean your gun after each trip to the range. I am very fond of Springfields....

Don't rule out the XD40sc just yet. .

I would have to agree. Keep in mind that the rental guns at Coal Creek see nearly 1,000,000 rounds through them....yes that's 1million. And this comes directly from their employees. Good luck with your purchase.

I have a G27 and an XD40sc. Both have been reliable accurate pistols. I took them to the range and shot them side by side several times, finding them overall equal. My wife finally made a decision for me and took the XD as it has a grip safety.

I went to CCA the other day despite warnings that they were douches. I found them helpful to me and enjoyed the experience.

I rented their glock 27 too and it must have had a bad magazine because a few times the slide locked back when there were still rounds in the mag. Not a big deal..

I wasn't offered a free hug when I was in there today. This was the third time I have shot in their facility and the staff has always been very polite and helpfull to me.

Considering the shipping I didn't have to pay, the LCP magazine and butler creek speedloader were at a fair price at Coal Creek. I may end up getting the year membership if I keep going there.