McDonald v. Chicago SCOTUS Opinion

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

interesting that the Chicago council mandated range training but there are no ranges in the city limits.

So where will a resident of the city go to get the one hour range training?

Also how ridiculous is it that the handgun cannot be on a patio or an attached garage. How are those places not considered part of the home.

What a F'd up place that is.

interesting that the Chicago council mandated range training but there are no ranges in the city limits.

So where will a resident of the city go to get the one hour range training?

Also how ridiculous is it that the handgun cannot be on a patio or an attached garage. How are those places not considered part of the home.

What a F'd up place that is.

I'm glad they wen't over the top. Will be that much easier to beat them in court.

I'm glad they wen't over the top. Will be that much easier to beat them in court.

X2

If they were trying for an ordinance that had any sensible parts to it then it might be possible for it to get passed, which would greatly weaken the SCOTUS ruling.

Depends on what the state does. If the state sides with Daley they will tell the Feds to go pound sand.

I don’t agree with Daley on the guns issue but many (including me) see this as a States Rights issue. This is an Illinois call, not up to the Feds. It would be different if the SCOTUS ruled we have a right keep and bear arms; but they were to chicken chit to do that. They knew some states would not comply.

Daley is giving the people that elected him what they want. The poor and minorities in Chicago are who elected him and they want gun control. They will be even more anti gun when they find out only the wealthy can have guns.

I guess next we will see what the Illinois Courts do.

I’m betting that Daley will wreak havoc on this as long as the people keep him in office.

I know this isn’t a popular opinion on a gun board, but you can’t simply fall back saying that it is written in the Constitution. States don’t recognize the 2<SUP>nd</SUP> amendment as an individual right… Illinois doesn’t and neither does Tennessee.

Logically, the courts cannot allow one and infringe the other. Unfortunately the supremes are just one heartbeat away from defying all logic...:D

Exactly

Dave,

Whether states recognize the 2nd amendment as an individual right, that is now settled law under the McDonald and Heller rulings.

Heller defined the 2nd amendment as an individual right, and McDonald incorporated the 2nd Amendment to all levels over government via the 14th amendment.

So in a sense SCOTUS has ruled that we all have a right to keep and bear arms... And I know your argument over bear, but there is a case working it's way through federal court right now Palmer v DC that should settle whether individuals have the right to bear arms or not once and for all.... We should know for sure in the next couple of years.

The states willingly (well at least the northern states did willingly) gave up part of their state rights when they ratified the 14th Amendment. The Amendment was supposed to place all the restrictions on the Federal government (ie bill of rights) on the state governments... It's just taken us 150+ years to get around to forcing this in case law.

It took us about 70 to 80 years to get into this mess... bad laws which restrict the god given rights of law abiding citizens... it's going to take us the next 10-20 to clean the mess up... Only short cut will result from a civil war or another revolution (which neither are all that far fetched today).

I suspect in the next 10 years we will see lawful unlicensed open carry in TN, and suspect in virtually every state in the nation.

Depends on what the state does. If the state sides with Daley they will tell the Feds to go pound sand.

I don’t agree with Daley on the guns issue but many (including me) see this as a States Rights issue. This is an Illinois call, not up to the Feds. It would be different if the SCOTUS ruled we have a right keep and bear arms; but they were to chicken chit to do that. They knew some states would not comply.

Daley is giving the people that elected him what they want. The poor and minorities in Chicago are who elected him and they want gun control. They will be even more anti gun when they find out only the wealthy can have guns.

I guess next we will see what the Illinois Courts do.

I’m betting that Daley will wreak havoc on this as long as the people keep him in office.

I know this isn’t a popular opinion on a gun board, but you can’t simply fall back saying that it is written in the Constitution. States don’t recognize the 2<sup>nd</sup> amendment as an individual right… Illinois doesn’t and neither does Tennessee.

Exactly