Places to shoot in NE Tn

gunner

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest friesepferd

Tac2

best place around. outdoors, many bays, many setups, geared towards practical / self defense shooting, also has rifle range, cheap annual fee, great classes.

Wilderness Road Shooting & Conservation Club | Dedicated to promoting conservation and the shooting sports in the southwest Virginia and northeast Tennessee region - I was a member of this when I lived there. Nice skeet/trap range and 300 yd rifle range. Pistol area is (was 3 years ago) kinda poopy, but I liked well enough.

Cherokee Rod And Gun Club - Very nice. I only shot there once as a guest.

Unaka Rod and Gun Club - Took my HCP class here. Nice place.

Greene County Regulators

Kettlefoot is just outside of Bristol, VA off US 58. Archery, rimfire rifle range, centerfire range (to 300 yds), 25/50 yd bullseye pistol range, dozen plinking bays, trap/skeet/sporting clays and 5-stand. Self-serve trap and skeet fields open 24/7. Hosts IDPA 4th Sat each month, IR 50/50, registered ATA.

Kettlefoot Rod & Gun Club

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

Pond Mountain range is located at Watauga lake. It has a 25, 50, 100 yard range. There is 1 picnic table set up at each of the ranges. There is a very small covered shed. The picnic tables are not covered. This is a public range. You pay $2 per car (or more if you wish). It is somewhat maintained but do not expect anything fancy. Normally it is not very crowded. This is where I go. If I had lots of cash I would have the table areas covered.

There is a small public range (TWRA) out at Jacob's Creek, just off Denton Vallet Rd. Only 3-4 spots, maybe 100 yds max, upkeep was marginal last time I was there.

You need to wear a gun to take a gun there to shoot. I've run into some amazingly sketchy folk there.

Guest The Highlander

I second Pond Mountain at Watauga Lake if you want public. The facilities aren't too bad. I've seen a few there that were a little sketchy on gun-handling too, including one deputy that scared me poop-less, and I left before he shot someone.

Also try Sciota in Unicoi County. You will have to Google it, I can't remember road names to give you directions. It is only a couple of miles from Unicoi, and is maintained similarly to Pond Mountain, but I haven't been there in a while.

Either way, or for that matter even at private ranges, don't go the weekend prior to hunting season, unless you just want to watch for the entertainment factor. You want believe what comes out of the woodworks to "sight in."

Edited by The Highlander
Guest TnRebel

Gray Kennels & Security, indoor range, Gray Tn,

INDOOR FIRING RANGE NOW OPEN!!!

Hours of Operation

Monday 9am - 5pm

Tuesday 9am - 5pm

Wednesday 9am - 12noon

Thursday 7am - 7pm

Friday 7am - 7pm

Saturday 7am - 7pm

Sunday 1pm - 5 pm

If you would like to schedule an appointment for range after normal hours of operation please call Ken Riley at 423-914-3820

Edited by TnRebel
Guest Boogieman

I've been to both Scotia in Unicoi and Pond Mountain by the lake. I have to say I enjoyed Scotia more but the last few times at Pond Mountain were not bad. I get to Pond Mountain more often because it is closer. Heck, I've probably seen some fellow TGO'ers up there and not known it. Two bucks to send a couple hundred rounds down range aint bad at all.

Guest dboonekilledabearhere

FYI,

I know you were looking for a public range but...Coming in September to the Industrial Park in Piney Flats, TN will be an indoor range/sales. The name is Shooters Edge. Here is a link to their website This is great because I work in the Ind Park. A lunch filled with putting some ammo down range may be a mid-day stress reliever

Welcome to MyShootersEdge.com, We are currently under development

Edited by dboonekilledabearhere
FYI,

I know you were looking for a public range but...Coming in September to the Industrial Park in Piney Flats, TN will be an indoor range/sales. The name is Shooters Edge. Here is a link to their website This is great cause I work in the Ind Park. A lunch filled with putting some ammo down range may be a mid-day stress reliever

Do you know who's behind this?

Guest Boogieman
FYI,

I know you were looking for a public range but...Coming in September to the Industrial Park in Piney Flats, TN will be an indoor range/sales. The name is Shooters Edge. Here is a link to their website This is great cause I work in the Ind Park. A lunch filled with putting some ammo down range may be a mid-day stress reliever

Not till September? Awwww man. Maybe it'll be up and running for my birthday.;)

Guest The Highlander
Ill keep my eye out for him.....lol

Not necessary. That was years ago, and the last I heard he is no longer affiliated with any LEO organization.

• 1 month later...
Guest Rngr888
Do you know who's behind this?

Yea, A couple of business men that love shooting. They have put the $$$ into it, you should come out and see the layout and floor plans for yourself. Our website just went fully operational Wednesday July 28th. They have hired me to be the Director of Training. I have been working overseas and hopefully I can stay home now. We are all pretty excited.

Yea, A couple of business men that love shooting. They have put the $$$ into it, you should come out and see the layout and floor plans for yourself. Our website just went fully operational Wednesday July 28th. They have hired me to be the Director of Training. I have been working overseas and hopefully I can stay home now. We are all pretty excited.

cant wait till SE opens!!!

I haven't shot at Pond Mountain or Jacob's Creek, but I imagine they're not much different from Sciota (inexplicably pronounced sciothee or sometimes sciofee). The ranges are basically set up for hunters to zero their rifles. Sciota has 25-, 50-, and 100-yard lanes. If you're going to do much handgun shooting and want to get closer, bring a target stand. There are benches built like picnic tables at each lane, and though they are better than nothing, they do somewhat suck for bench shooting.

You have to watch yourself there too and be prepared to leave if there's people there who can't safely handle firearms. You'll get swept, see people sweeping the line, chambering rounds behind you, walking ahead of the firing line, shooting in one lane while someone is downrange in another, etc. There's a group of folks who live close by that show up quite a bit and are good people, but you're just as likely to run into teenagers trying to bumpfire AKs.

The best times to go are early mornings, but you can get pretty lucky during work hours any day of the week. Weekends can be just plain crowded, which makes it hard to get any work done but you can plink away just the same. If I go out there, it's usually early on Sunday mornings, but even then I've pulled up to full benches.

The majority of the folks who shoot there are okay, but there's just times when you have to pack up and get outta the hot zone.

TAC2 is definitely the best place in the area to shoot, but you have to be a member unless you're there to shoot a match.

Edited by JWinTN

Rngr888, I'd definitely like more info. Is this a lane range, or can it open up to do courses of fire with movement or other scenarios?