Grip Tape(EMP Frontstrap Too Slick)Ideas Anyone

krunchnik

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeh,I suppose checkering would be the way to go but that means having to send it off and then have the frame refinished,then wait to get it back.I dont know if I want to spend a good bit of money on something like that.I see Brownells has a product that comes 1X12 inches in strips,thats around $20.00 also.

Guest Sgt. Joe
Just wondering if any of you use any type of grip tape on the front straps of your handguns,the front of my EMP is definately slick,any ideas.

I am just thinking out loud but if it is just the front of the grips, would not one side of a piece of velcro cut to fit work?

Guest Keinengel

Skateboard grip tape can be had for less than $20 for a roll. My friends and I used it to improve the grips on a couple of cheap marlin .22 rifles. We had to sand the clear coat off the area on the stock first to get it to stick however. Im not sure how well it would work on the polymer grip or a handgun but it me be a most cost effective investment.

A while back I bought some custom-cut grip tape for my Springfield XD compact on e-bay. I think I paid around $10 and didn't have to cut anything. (It even came with two sets - one with a rough texture and another more smooth and rubber-like.) It has stayed on the grip really well through quite a few trips to the range and occasional carry.

You may be able to find something like that for your EMP.

Skateboard grip tape can be had for less than $20 for a roll. My friends and I used it to improve the grips on a couple of cheap marlin .22 rifles. We had to sand the clear coat off the area on the stock first to get it to stick however. Im not sure how well it would work on the polymer grip or a handgun but it me be a most cost effective investment.

The grit on skateboard tape will rub off, can be kinda bad with handgun holster carry grating it around between holster and gun finish.

It'll also sand YOUR own hide down if you carry IWB with no undershirt!

- OS

Guest 1eyedwillie

Had a similar problem with my Kahr MK9 '03 elite (two finger grip situation). Bought some grip tape at Dick's Sporting Goods for about $10.

I only wanted to treat the front strap, so I got the wife's sewing measuring tape (uber flexible, don't you know) and carefully measured the area I wanted covered on the front strap (leaving just a little space on either side so it wouldn't butt up against the plastic grip panels). After carefully transferring the dimensions to the sheet of grip tape, I cut the piece with scissors and slightly radiused the corners. Next, I put a little alcohol on a rag and cleaned the area of the front strap and carefully put the piece of grip tape in place. Mash it down really good and you should be good to go.

The two finger grip was improved greatly and I don't have to worry about it interfering with the presentation because it is not in an area which would snag on any clothing or my pocket. Only contact is with the finger tips. I try to avoid getting any solvents on it when cleaning because I suppose the adhesive would be affected, but really, if it ever did happen, I still have a huge piece of the grip tape left and I could just do it over.

Guest The Highlander

I (literally) just put Decal Grip on one of my Glocks for about $15. Lone Wolf Distributing. I haven't shot it yet, not kidding, I put it on about five minutes ago. But, I think I'll like it for GSSF. I would have left the left grip panel plain if I were carrying this gun. My tender tummy didn't like it when I tried it in my carry holster. They make two versions a "rubber" feel and a "sand."

I (literally) just put Decal Grip on one of my Glocks for about $15. Lone Wolf Distributing. I haven't shot it yet, not kidding, I put it on about five minutes ago. But, I think I'll like it for GSSF. I would have left the left grip panel plain if I were carrying this gun. My tender tummy didn't like it when I tried it in my carry holster. They make two versions a "rubber" feel and a "sand."

See my writeup link above.

Decal Grips are great, but VERY susceptible to solvent getting under the seal, so watch out for that when cleaning.

- OS

I put finger groove front strap that screwed under the factory grips and felt great but have since sold the gun. Here is the link Pearce Grips Pads Stocks pearce finger groove insert, pgom1,-gunsatcost.com

Wow! Those look like they'd be awesome! Thanks for the link Brian! It even has a review from a guy that put them on his EMP....said it required just a bit of trimming with scissors, but then fit perfectly. I'm going to order those for my EMP! :)

I put finger groove front strap that screwed under the factory grips and felt great but have since sold the gun. Here is the link Pearce Grips Pads Stocks pearce finger groove insert, pgom1,-gunsatcost.com
Wow! Those look like they'd be awesome! Thanks for the link Brian! It even has a review from a guy that put them on his EMP....said it required just a bit of trimming with scissors, but then fit perfectly. I'm going to order those for my EMP! :cool:

I have those on my officers 1911 and love them.

Wish they made them for my Hawg9 :tinfoil: