Glock 28

Links2k

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone own one? What are your likes/dislikes? Thanks.

I'm sure it would be a good weapon, but ''why'' do you want a .380?

IMHO buy a Glock in a .40 S&W caliber. You will be able to modify a Glock 40 to any of (3) three different calibers...

.357 Sig - 9mm or keep it in .40 S&W

.357 Sig - change out barrel only (.40 mags work w/.357 Sig)

9mm - change to a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel + 9mm Glock mags

:rolleyes: about .380 - The ammo is even scarce...

GLOCK "Safe Action Pistols"

GLOCK 28

The lightweight

Like the GLOCK 25, the GLOCK 28 in .380

is also blowback operated. Small in

dimensions and weight, it is great in

performance when carried concealed.

Because of the low-recoil firing characteristic

of the .380 cartridge, it can be easily and accurately

controlled. The standard magazine capacity of this balanced

pistol of 10 rounds can be increased to 19 rounds when using

optional magazines.

T&R

Guest gw2and4

^^^^^ like was said above: the .380 model doesn't have enough points and therefore can't be imported to the U.S. (this per Glock Professional during the recent Armorer Course at CCA in Knoxville). So just wanted to relay it secondhand from the horse's mouth. Even tho bkelm18 and Jasongar8 already made mention of this...

IMHO buy a Glock in a .40 S&W caliber. You will be able to modify a Glock 40 to any of (3) three different calibers...

.357 Sig - 9mm or keep it in .40 S&W

.357 Sig - change out barrel only (.40 mags work w/.357 Sig)

9mm - change to a Lone Wolf 40-9 conversion barrel + 9mm Glock mags

:D about .380 - The ammo is even scarce...

Is that true for a G27, or just the G23?

Amen to the .380 ammo being scarce!

It's not a small gun in physical size, so I don't see a US market for it even if it could be imported.

Only reason they make it is for sale in countries where other larger mainstream calibers aren't permitted.

- OS

Like the others have said, the 28 is not allowed into civilian hands in the US.

They are available for department purchase and such, but because of the caliber mainly, it doesn't meet enough of the importation points to be brought here for commercial sales.

That being said, I have never seen one in person. But I wonder why they don't make them at the plant in GA.

Of course ammo is hard to get a reasonable price and .380 isn't the most deadly cartridge out there, but I am sure there is a market if they built it here in the US.

Edited by TNRobocop
... but I am sure there is a market if they built it here in the US.

I'm not.

It's exactly the same size as the 26/27, same capacity as the 26.

Why would anyone want to go with a lesser caliber when they could have same size gun with same capacity in larger caliber?

If they wanted to make a .380 mousegun to compete with all the other US sold .380's, sure, it probably would sell like hotcakes.

- OS

I'm not.

It's exactly the same size as the 26/27, same capacity as the 26.

Why would anyone want to go with a lesser caliber when they could have same size gun with same capacity in larger caliber?

If they wanted to make a .380 mousegun to compete with all the other US sold .380's, sure, it probably would sell like hotcakes.

- OS

But if it says Glock it has to be better.....

I hope you know I was kidding.

Still getting used to the new format and didn't put at smilie with it.

Yeah, I did, and hope you know I was too.

And yeah, takes an extra step to get to "advanced", where the smilies are, though I generally attempt droll statements without using one.

- OS

Why can't it be imported? I know they said about the "points" of whatever, but what does that mean?

Basically ATF assigns a point value to different parts of a handgun. The weight gets a point value, the cailber a gets point value, the length gets a point value. For the gun to be legal to be imported it has to have a total of 75 points.

I stole this from another forum. It is a good breakdown of the points system and and example of a Glock 17 and 26 with their assigned import points.

What is the BATF points system and how does it affect Glocks?

Many of the Glock's parts and sometimes the whole gun are dictated or limited by the BATF's system of "import points". To qualify for import a pistol must score 75 points based on the following system:

Characteristic Points

Length: for each 1/4" over 6" 1

Forged steel frame 15

Forged HTS alloy frame 20

Unloaded weight w/mag (per oz.) 1

.22 short and .25 auto 0

.22 LR and 7.65mm to .380 auto 3

9mm parabellum and over 10

Locked breech mechanism 5

Loaded chamber indicator 5

Grip safety 3

Magazine safety 5

Firing pin block or lock 10

External hammer 2

Double action 10

Drift adjustable target sight 5

Click adjustable target sight 10

Target grips 5

Target trigger 2

For example, here is how the G17 scores: Length (7.28") 5

Weight (24.79oz) 25

Caliber (9mm) 10

Locked breech 5

Firing pin block 10

Double action 10

Target sight 10

Target grips 5

Total 80

Here is how the Glock 26 scores: Length (6.29") 1

Weight (21.87oz) 22

Caliber (9mm) 10

Locked breech 5

Firing pin block 10

Double action 10

Target sight 10

Target grips 5

Target trigger 2

Total 75

Changes and features made to Glocks to comply with the BATF rules:

- all models are imported with a cheap click-adjustable rear sight that is replaced at the factory with the stock sight

- target (grooved) trigger added to compacts & subcompacts

- target grips added to all models (required for the subcompacts)

- due to their caliber, .380 autos (G25 & G28) do not score enough points to be imported

Oh, it would sell in the US. One, because it's a Glock. Secondly, people in this country will buy anything, the sheer number of handguns and options available now is proof that.

A fine example is the Hi-Point. It's gotta be the biggest .380 ever created and they still make it for some reason. :cool:

Oh, it would sell in the US. One, because it's a Glock. Secondly, people in this country will buy anything, the sheer number of handguns and options available now is proof that.

A fine example is the Hi-Point. It's gotta be the biggest .380 ever created and they still make it for some reason. :lol:

Well, ya got a point with that, I admit.

I guess Hi-Point markets their .380 for US only? ... but then again, I don't know...wonder if it's a big seller in South America or something? I read somewhere that SA was the biggest market for the Glock .380.

- OS

I read somewhere that SA was the biggest market for the Glock .380.- OS

I don't know if SA is the biggest market for the .380 Glocks, but it is a big market. But in some countries (alot of South America) civilians can't own guns chambered in the same cailber as any military weapon. Therefore the .380's are big sellers because they can't own any other caliber.

When it comes to self-defense, there is nothing wrong with buying something merely for the sake of familiarity. I already have a G26 and I'm not crazy about the .380 caliber so a G28 is probably one of the only Glocks I'd have absolutely no interest in. But if Glock were to make a single stack .380 I'd be all over it.

Why?

1. Because I think Glocks are the only quality weapon?

Nope.

2. Because I'm a mindless zombie and I believe the fact that it says "Glock" makes it superior to all others?

Close but not quite.

I'd be interested simply because the trigger feel would be the same as my other Glocks. That way my practice time with my other Glocks (with cheaper 9mm ammo and even with my .22 converson kit) would translate better than it does when I pick up my LCP. I've not had one failure with my LCP but, I'm still not that confident when I'm carrying it. I just don't shoot it nearly as well as I do my G26. As is often the case, I'm sure it's the shooter and not the gun. It's not that it's not accurate, it's that I've gotten used to "riding the reset" on my Glocks and therefore it takes more time and concentration for me to shoot the LCP well. I'm sure that if I were a more experienced shooter, or if I had significant training time with a double action revolver the LCP trigger wouldn't be bad. If I didn't have a few Glocks, I'd probably have a few M&Ps or a few XDs. I think the M&Ps are great looking guns, although I've picked up one or two with really mushy feeling triggers. I think the XDs are ugly but they do have a little smoother trigger break than my Glocks. I don't like the longer reset, but I'm sure I could get used to it.

The question is why should I? I've never had a failure with any of my Glocks, and I'm used to how they shoot. It's not to say I wouldn't consider other guns in other calibers, but if I could pick up a different size gun of a different caliber and get accustomed to it quickly, why wouldn't I consider Glocks first when considering new purchases? It makes for a boring collection, but I can rotate carry guns much easier if they all have a similar feel. I wouldn't under-estimate the power of familiarity.

Edited by JReedEsq
additional comments