PF-9 magazine releasing while firing. Help!

Guest tngw1500se

Guest tngw1500se

I have a PF-9 that I carry on my belt for self defense. I've only fired it 50 times or so. I'm having a problem sometimes with my thumb releasing the magazine after a round or so, causing a jam. It's happened twice now. Funny part is I had a p-11 that I never had an issue with.

I like the size of the firearm, the weight and the lack of a "levered" safety, but I'm wondering about the reliability of this gun for self defense. I know it's a decent gun for self defense, and the problem is caused by the way I'm holding it, but since I'm having this problem, should I change to another firearm, or just try to learn to not release the magazine?

I've been thinking that I might ought to carry a .45 anyway.

Bigger is better right? <--- That was a real question by the way.

Looks are not important. I like the idea of the guns designed like the Kimber that have the safety on the back of the handle. Seems like you'd have to be griping the gun in order for it to fire. Guess you could just leave the safety off couldn't you?

So my questions are:

1: Should I just change guns or try to learn to avoid the mag release?

2: I carry this gun outside my belt only when in the woods and don't try to conceal it. Could I cover the PF-9 grip so the mag release is recessed?

3: If I were to change guns what would you recommend that I carry that would be more reliable for me and why?

Thanks (in advance) for your advice. :)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SUNTZU

Have someone take a picture of your grip and post it here. I would think this is something that is easily remedied. If your grip is strange, your accuracy may see an improvement as well! If it doesn't work....let me know if you want to sell it. :)

Have someone take a picture of your grip and post it here. I would think this is something that is easily remedied. If your grip is strange, your accuracy may see an improvement as well! If it doesn't work....let me know if you want to sell it. :D

Oooh! No no....let me know!!! :) JK. Suntzu asked first (sigh) But if he goes cheap on ya than lemme know :D

Are you sure you are hitting the mag release? Might just need to adjust your grip.

Some people have problems if they use the pinky extender on the mag.

The recoil is enough to force the mag out if your fingers are pressing down on the extender.

Mine did that with some +P rounds, but it's a simple fix, take off the extender.

Guest tngw1500se
Try the slip on Hogue. If you snug it up close it may be just enough to keep from pressing in and dropping mag. Also, do you shoot with both thumbs high? That may help with accuracy too.

Happens on handed (right handed shooter). I start with thumb high but must be dropping the thumb to release the mag.

Guest rockbottom12

I had the same issue. Here is the solution.

call keltec request new mag release and spring.

replace it.

shoot it and enjoy it.

also when inserting a mag press the release in instead of forcing it.

- if you need help changing it out let me know, not a big deal.

I had the same problem with my Kahr pm45 - it suddenly started dropping the magazine during firing. People kept telling me it was my grip, but I never used to have a problem with it. Since I'd also had a few fte's and a problem with the slide stop spring, I sent it back to Kahr and had them look at it. They replaced a few parts, and now it works great.

Guest tngw1500se
I had the same issue. Here is the solution.

call keltec request new mag release and spring.

replace it.

shoot it and enjoy it.

also when inserting a mag press the release in instead of forcing it.

- if you need help changing it out let me know, not a big deal.

Thanks I'll call them this morning!

Guest rockbottom12

it isnt hard to do. you will have to fully dissasemble, but it isnt hard. do a standard breakdown for cleaning, then pop out the three pins, take a flat screw driver push down the hammer spring far enough to slide it forward (this is harder to describe than do) then the "frame" will come out. you will have access to the parts from here. I live in maryville and will be in town, following july 4th. If you have troubles i can help. also here is a guide on the p11 and p32 it is basically the same.

The slide doesnt need to be messed with but it is included.

Edited by rockbottom12
Guest SW9VEman
it isnt hard to do. you will have to fully dissasemble, but it isnt hard. do a standard breakdown for cleaning, then pop out the three pins, take a flat screw driver push down the hammer spring far enough to slide it forward (this is harder to describe than do) then the "frame" will come out. you will have access to the parts from here. I live in maryville and will be in town, following july 4th. If you have troubles i can help. also here is a guide on the p11 and p32 it is basically the same.

The slide doesnt need to be messed with but it is included.

I have not done any of that and have no problems with mine after ~450 rounds...

Guest rockbottom12
I have not done any of that and have no problems with mine after ~450 rounds...

most dont have any issues, I have seen this a couple of times, so i am guessing a few weak springs or something. It is most likely not a grip issue, i did everything even a grip where nothing was on that side of the gun and the mag dropped that was when i decided it was parts related.

Guest tngw1500se
I have a PF-9 that I carry on my belt for self defense. I've only fired it 50 times or so. I'm having a problem sometimes with my thumb releasing the magazine after a round or so, causing a jam. It's happened twice now. Funny part is I had a p-11 that I never had an issue with.

I like the size of the firearm, the weight and the lack of a "levered" safety, but I'm wondering about the reliability of this gun for self defense. I know it's a decent gun for self defense, and the problem is caused by the way I'm holding it, but since I'm having this problem, should I change to another firearm, or just try to learn to not release the magazine?

I've been thinking that I might ought to carry a .45 anyway.

Bigger is better right? <--- That was a real question by the way.

Looks are not important. I like the idea of the guns designed like the Kimber that have the safety on the back of the handle. Seems like you'd have to be griping the gun in order for it to fire. Guess you could just leave the safety off couldn't you?

So my questions are:

1: Should I just change guns or try to learn to avoid the mag release?

2: I carry this gun outside my belt only when in the woods and don't try to conceal it. Could I cover the PF-9 grip so the mag release is recessed?

3: If I were to change guns what would you recommend that I carry that would be more reliable for me and why?

Thanks (in advance) for your advice. :cool:

MY PF-9 IS FIXED! I replaced it with a springfield XD! :) Way better gun!

Guest SW9VEman
MY PF-9 IS FIXED! I replaced it with a springfield XD! :up: Way better gun!

It is also a MUCH larger gun as well as being more expensive.

Slightly OT, but what's the recoil of a PF-9 comparable to? I've shot a PM9, LCP, and 442. Worse than any of those or about equal?

More like the LCP. Kinda stings until you get used to it. squeeze a stress ball a few days, build a little new muscle in your hand, its all good. :D